Ping: Laurie G. in CA

Old August 22nd 10, 08:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Default Ping: Laurie G. in CA

I saw on the USA news last night where CA had passed a law banning plastic
bags but I didn't catch just when this will start. Do you already have your
re-useable bags ready? When will it start?
Barbara in SC, wondering when other states will do the same, and already
re-using cloth bags a lot

Old August 22nd 10, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nana.Wilson

Default Laurie G. in CA

Hi Barbara. I, too, re-use cloth bags (make my own. Some times sell them)
Last week at the grocers I brought my own bags. Told the checker that I had
my own 'cause the plastic ones mated at night & spawned more by morning. She
said that's OK & pointed me to the in-store recycled bin! It was lost on
hersigh

Nana..............knows it takes petrol to make more.
:-(
m...

Old August 22nd 10, 03:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Nana, I'm laughing because all checkers must have been told the same thing!
This morning I checked out at WalMart, using their bag (sells for 50c)
telling the checker I had 'my' bag and she also let me know they have a
recycle container as you come in the front door! I'm glad people recycle.
I'm gladder that I re-use my own bag!
Barbara in SC Happy that you make your cloth bags

Old August 23rd 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Laurie G. in CA[_3_]

I missed that news! I'll have to find out about it. In any case, I do have
some re-usable bags but will probably need more.

Laurie G. in CA

Old August 23rd 10, 04:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

There was some news about folks getting sick because the reusable bags are
not cleaned and
bad stuff from meat and stuff contaminating produce. Yuck. The ban is only
for grocery and
convenience stores. I reuse my plastic grocery bags for kitchen trash. I
have a plastic can
that holds them. If I am limited to re-usable bags I will then have to
purchase new garbage
container bags. If there isn't a solution for this than I don't see how
anything improves. I will
also have to launder the re-usable bags using our precious water commodity.
pretty awful thing in CA. I would think just using plastic laundry baskets
that nest would be a
better choice than fabric bags. I have a mess of those and use them to
schlep a lot of stuff
already. The would be easier to sanitize too.
BTW, if you hadn't noticed CA lawmakers by and large are idiots. I think
folks waste a
lot more in other ways than with grocery bags.I heard there will be over 200
people
fired in one bag plant in LA alone. Great in this economy. : (
Taria

Old August 23rd 10, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Aug 22, 2:59*am, "Bobbie Sews More" wrote:
I saw on the USA news last night where CA had passed a law banning plastic
bags but I didn't catch just when this will start. *Do you already have your
re-useable bags ready? *When will it start?
Barbara in SC, wondering when other states will do the same, *and already
re-using cloth bags a lot

As much as I dislike anyone telling me what to do (just ask my dh)...I
think this is a really good idea. Our small town got a Dollar General
store back in January. It's only been eight months and the shrubbery
and roadsides are already blooming yellow bags.
I live on a state highway and I really, really get tired of picking up
other people's trash.
Sherry
Old August 23rd 10, 11:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

I agree with you about needing to use plastic bags to hold meat items. I
re-use the store bags to hold a newspaper, drug items, and other "dry"
things. I was also thinking about using the larger 3 gal baskets to hold
the cold and meat things. Yeah, there are a lot of people in government who
make the rules and do not think and reason things out. All towns and states
have to put up with that type of thinking.
Barbara in SC

Old August 23rd 10, 12:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Sherry I live on a corner lot a block from main street and many cars go by
and drop off soda and beer cans, and fast food sacks for me to pick up.
What is just as bad is where cars have parked close to a store with an
outside trash can, yet they won't walk the 20 feet to deposit a dirty diaper
or a bag with left over hamburger & fries.
Barbara

Old August 23rd 10, 12:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

I have bags the store sell for 50c, but I want to make some 14" square size
cloth bags for when I am only buying a few items.
Barbara

Old August 23rd 10, 01:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

Here in France you either take your own bags or buy the recyclable
varieties. This has happened here for at least 4 years, poss longer.
Our local butcher, wraps everything in paper, so the meat doesn't sweat.
I also have a pull along shopping cart for our weekly market and most
traders now use paper bags which can be composted or recycled. Some
stores use starch based bags so can be composted as well.

Janner

On 23/08/2010 06:18, Sherry wrote:
On Aug 22, 2:59 am, "Bobbie Sews wrote:
I saw on the USA news last night where CA had passed a law banning plastic
bags but I didn't catch just when this will start. Do you already have your
re-useable bags ready? When will it start?
Barbara in SC, wondering when other states will do the same, and already
re-using cloth bags a lot

As much as I dislike anyone telling me what to do (just ask my dh)...I
think this is a really good idea. Our small town got a Dollar General
store back in January. It's only been eight months and the shrubbery
and roadsides are already blooming yellow bags.
I live on a state highway and I really, really get tired of picking up
other people's trash.
Sherry

Ping Laurie G in Vallejo Pauline[_2_] Quilting 12 July 19th 09 04:14 PM
Looking for Laurie Rusty1215 Yarn 0 June 28th 04 09:42 PM
Att'n: Laurie in WA Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 0 January 13th 04 09:51 PM
LAURIE 6x6 on the way [email protected] Yarn 1 October 16th 03 06:03 AM
Liz Laurie . Pottery 0 September 11th 03 04:38 AM