Recent Email Announcement

Old August 7th 10, 05:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
lmiksch

Default Recent Email Announcement

The introductory Queen of Stitching announcement was sent out over the
last few days and several of you have let us know that you did not
appreciate receiving it. On behalf of Queen of Stitching I would like
to apologize to all of you that we have distressed.

This specific email was designed with two specific goals in mind. The
first was to announce a new quilting idea that has been in development
for a very long time.

The second was to make sure that all future correspondence from Queen
of Stitching only goes to those who are actually interested in hearing
from us.

Those of you who did look at the email know that the bottom right hand
side of the email contained a large Unsubscribe statement.

Our Unsubscribe Link is designed to instantly and permanently remove
email addresses from our list. I hope that you will choose to use the
link if you did receive our email and do not want to wish to receive
further communications from us.

Additionally, all Unsubscribe request emails sent to the “sender” of
our email will result in immediate and permanent removal of your
address from our lists.

Another question that has been raised relates to the Safety and
Security of our site. While there are few things that a website owner
can do publicly prove their legitimacy and or integrity, we have done
those things. From our site, you will notice two seals that appear in
the bottom left hand corner of the page. Each time one of those seals
is clicked, a verification routine is run to make sure that we are who
we say we are. A message is then returned from the governing bodies.
The messages state that our site is in good standing and in fact
verified through them.

There are several web sources that routinely scan websites to
determine whether they are safe. You may have any site scanned by
these services before you choose to enter a site or download any
documents from them.

There are many sources for these services I have included two well
known companies for your consideration.

MacAfee has a site called: “siteadviser”
Google runs a program called: “safe browsing”.

Above all, please know that we at Queen of Stitching do share your
belief that you have a right to a safe and secure internet.

Linda Miksch
Queen of Stitching
Old August 7th 10, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 09:12:43 -0700 (PDT), lmiksch
wrote:

The second was to make sure that all future correspondence from Queen
of Stitching only goes to those who are actually interested in hearing
from us.

I'm don't usually send these kinds of posts, but having worked in the
computer industry for over 25 years this is something that has always
been a thorn in my side.

The problem is that you've assumed that EVERYONE wants to hear from
you, whan that is not the case. Mass-emailing is the same as junk
mail IMHO, and I for one don't want any mail (paper or otherwise)
unless I've specifically requested it.

....and unsubscribe requests put the onus on the recipient to cancel
something they didn't even request -- which irks me even more

It would have been FAR more respectful of people to simply post an
announcement of your web site and INVITE people to subscribe if they
were interested.

-Irene
(who woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!)

Old August 7th 10, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita L. in MA[_2_]

wrote:

I'm don't usually send these kinds of posts, but having worked in the
computer industry for over 25 years this is something that has always
been a thorn in my side.

...and unsubscribe requests put the onus on the recipient to cancel
something they didn't even request -- which irks me even more

It would have been FAR more respectful of people to simply post an
announcement of your web site and INVITE people to subscribe if they
were interested.

-Irene
(who woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!)

Having a similar background to Irene's (it looks like) and having worked
very closely with the Security team where I work, I also have some input
to this.

Unsolicited subscriptions (to anything) conveyed via email and
containing an "Unsubscribe" link are a classic ploy of spammers,
phishers, and all manner of nefarious folk on the internet. Clicking
that link confirms your email address as valid. NEVER, NEVER do that!
You are only asking for more spam, etc. from those which are evil. Of
course, not all are ill intentioned but there is really no way to weed
them out. Err on the side of caution. If you don't know who it is,
just delete the message. Click NOTHING but your delete key.

Rita

--
Rita L. in MA One Eyed Mutant Ninja Quilter :-)
Old August 7th 10, 08:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

As you say, Rita & Irene, it's phishing.
And trying to justify it by sending a note to RCTQ doesn't make it
anything other than SPAM, which Linda declares she hates (on her
privacy policy page).
As she used an email address that I seldom touch, I replied to her
queenbee-ness via that route. If I receive any further unsolicited
advertising from her (or her company), I'll know the character of that
business.
Years ago, when we realized we'd landed on someone's solicitation list,
we had little recourse to do anything about it; we'd continue to receive
the catalogs, coupons, advertisements & other junk mail, and throw it
in the recycle bin (or trash) while we fumed & fussed about the mess.
Now, tho', we can speak out in a more public forum, and when it's
internet junk mail, we can more often contact the source.
And sometimes they respond.

I wouldn't have mentioned this spam if she hadn't continued her
attempts to advertise, via RCTQ. Linda posted to this newsgroup
years ago. Nice to see we haven't been forgotten. ;-P

Meanwhile, I checked out her business site. No, thanks.
Not my kind of craft. Not my kind of "quilting".
Good luck to her in her business venture, and in finding
a more ethical way in which to promote it.

R/Sandy

wrote:

[...]

On 8/7/10 11:12 AM, in article e20e36c2-a311-45a2-a462-.googlegroups.com,
"lmiksch" lm.com wrote:

[...]

Additionally, all Unsubscribe request emails sent to the ³sender² of
[...]

MacAfee has a site called: ³siteadviser²
Google runs a program called: ³safe browsing².

Old August 7th 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I really don't like that you said someone referred me.
I can't remember just how you put that since I deleted
your msg. right away. I just wouldn't trust you after
that. Looks like you have irked a lot of us quilter
folk. I'm not sure if you are just not internet kind of
folk or you are and just don't get us.

Old August 7th 10, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

"lmiksch" wrote in message

[...]

ditto Taria. I thought, who is this friend?

Bronnie
Old August 7th 10, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa[_4_]

Ditto Taria and Bronnie.

--
Di
I'm creative! You can't expect me to be neat too.

Old August 8th 10, 10:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Re this thread, a friend sent me a WSJ article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000... od=djemTMB_t

It's about stalkers using cell phones to track their victims. But if
you look at the left-hand sidebar, there's a link to a chart showing
various common Internet sites and how much they expose you to tracking
technology.
DH the family geek constantly reminds me to delete cookies etc. after
every browsing session!
Roberta in D

Old August 8th 10, 02:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

On 8/7/2010 9:11 PM, Sandy wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

ditto Taria. I thought, who is this friend?

I'd have thought the same thing. Luckily for me, I either didn't get the
message, or it went directly to my junk folder. I certainly wouldn't
have followed the link -- as was stated before, someone who expects us
to opt *out* is a prime candidate for being believed to be phishing. Not
good.

I didn't get it either, Sandy. Both of us use "fake" e-mail addresses in
the "From" field, so that may have stopped them.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old August 9th 10, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

i didnt get the email to either of my two addys.
my first thot was an old directory of the group.
would have to be pretty old to miss me tho.
i agree, Sherry, that was totally smarmy of her.
i like that word, fits perfectly this time too.
j.

"Sherry"wrote...
I had no clue what everyone was talking about. So I looked in my spam
folder, and found the email there.
The rctq audience is a marketer's dream, and everyone *here* has
always been so careful and mindful NOT to advertise or to sell
anything here. I certainly don't get
the logic "It's not spam, we're giving you the chance to remove your
name." If *every internet quilt shop* thought the same way, think how
much mail we'd all get.
This is a really smarmy way to build a subscriber list.

Sherry

recent finishes Amber Needlework 45 September 17th 08 12:33 AM
Recent finishes. Queen City x-stitcher Needlework 13 February 5th 08 04:15 PM
recent postings John Quilting 5 April 29th 07 03:53 AM
Recent FOs WoolyGooly Yarn 6 December 5th 06 02:37 AM
OT Most recent on little brother NightMist Quilting 7 October 6th 05 04:04 PM