Black and White Quilt

Old July 31st 10, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
edhquilter

Default Black and White Quilt

I have a lot of nice black, white & red fabric. I am having a devil
of a time trying to decide on a quilt pattern for this. I thought
maybe some of you might have some ideas. I will be making a queen
size quilt.

I enjoy reading your posts. Pat
Old July 31st 10, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Jul 31, 1:37*pm, edhquilter wrote:
I have a lot of nice black, white & red fabric. *I am having a devil
of a time trying to decide on a quilt pattern for this. *I thought
maybe some of you might have some ideas. *I will be making a queen
size quilt.

I enjoy reading your posts. *Pat

Do you mean one fabric that's got black, white, and red in it, or
three fabrics - one black, one white, and one red, and
is it/are they solids or prints?

Doc
Old July 31st 10, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

With such good contrasts, perhaps you would consider making the quilt
with various blocks, all made up with half-square-triangles. There are
many which can be done in this way, and the effect would be stunning.
Yes, I do mean no other pieces but half-square triangles. Oh, I can
picture it now ... ...
..
In message
,
edhquilter writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old July 31st 10, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I saw one just yesterday in an old edition of Quilter's Newsletter. A
quilter had chosen her squares so that the almost white prints were across
the top and then she sorted them by value (?) until the nearly black ones
were at the bottom. She called it Day into Night. IMHO, black and white
prints are so dazzling that a complex quilt block pattern would be wasted
effort; I think I'd just go with small squares and let it happen. Polly

Old July 31st 10, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
CherylinQ

How about a Disappearing Nine Patch!
Old August 1st 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
edhquilter

On Jul 31, 12:27*pm, "Dr. Zachary Smith"
wrote:
On Jul 31, 1:37*pm, edhquilter wrote:

I have a lot of nice black, white & red fabric. *I am having a devil
of a time trying to decide on a quilt pattern for this. *I thought
maybe some of you might have some ideas. *I will be making a queen
size quilt.

I enjoy reading your posts. *Pat

Do you mean one fabric that's got black, white, and red in it, or
three fabrics - one black, one white, and one red, and
is it/are they solids or prints?

Doc

No I have a lot of different fabrics. Mostly prints
Old August 1st 10, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

I think just about any pattern would look good in red, white, and black, but then I'm kind of partial to that
color scheme. Actually, my first thought was log cabin, but here are some I found when I did a search. In some
cases, you have to scroll down the page to find the RW&B quilt. You also might want to do a search for red,
white, and blue quilts (planning to substitute black for the blue, of course!).

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projec...corners_1.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-38311-1.htm
http://quiltsbydianegooch.com/
http://www.patchworks.com/gallery.htm
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=252144.0
http://karensquilting.com/blog/2008/...r-utahs-quilt/

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old August 1st 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KT in Mich

I just finished this one and am sooooooo happy with it. I used 9 different
red/white and black/white fabrics and stippled it all over. For just my 3d
quilt, it came out really good I think and was easy and fun to put together.
It would easily expand to any size you want.

http://www.clotilde.com/list.html?criteria=fire+and+ice

KT. in MI

Old August 1st 10, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Jul 31, 1:37*pm, edhquilter wrote:
I have a lot of nice black, white & red fabric. *I am having a devil
of a time trying to decide on a quilt pattern for this. *I thought
maybe some of you might have some ideas. *I will be making a queen
size quilt.

I enjoy reading your posts. *Pat

I actually have one of these in my 'to do' pile. Picked up fabrics in
Lancaster PA a couple of months ago and a very nice, new shop there.
The pattern was originally done for civil war fabrics but I liked the
pattern so much I adapted it to the red/white/black scheme. As soon
as I can find my sewing room, I'll dig out the pattern and let you
know what it is. I think the pattern is basically a lap size, but I'm
sure it could be adapted with simply adding more blocks. Give me a
day or 2...

Kim in NJ