Admit defeat - block construction

Old December 29th 10, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

Default Admit defeat - block construction

On Dec 28, 10:29*pm, Bronnie wrote:
On Dec 29, 11:06*am, Bronnie wrote:

On Dec 29, 4:15*am, Sandy E wrote:

Howdy!

Ha! *A community project, looks like.
Bronnie's idea & frustration leads the group to come up w/ solutions
and plans for how to construct this little beauty.
Sometimes "it takes a village", and that's RCTQ!
So, we all pitch in and piece our particular favorite parts;
I could handle those 4 corners.

Cheers!

R/Sandy - happy to take the cut pieces and scrap them together ;-

On 12/28/10 7:59 AM, in article ,

"Roberta" Roberta@Home wrote:
If you aren't having fun, and see no hope of fun any time soon, then
this is the right decision. But what is it about paper piecing that
you didn't want to try that first? You don't have to actually sew
through the paper, just fold a flap of it to one side and sew right
next to the fold.
This is an 8-point star -have you done a plain one before? Did it
work? (did you like it?) Such a lovely block -I was really hoping for
a view of the finished quilt! :-)
Roberta in D

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 15:40:55 -0800 (PST), Bronnie
wrote:

Well, try as I could, constructing this block has been an abject
failure.
http://picasaweb.google.com/bronferr...55550603832873...
I can't recall where I got the design from; I did draw it up in EQ7
mid-year. *I loved it. *EQ7 showed how the whole quilt might look. I
loved it. *The colorway I had chosen was to go with my French wall
quilt behind the bed in the guestroom. *This project was for a 12" 60-
block QS quilt.
I must preface this admission by saying I was trying to machine
piece. *I am not a hand-sewer generally. *I know now, and you will
probably concur, it would be best paper pieced.
I cut out heaps of little triangles and tried to machine them, but
they are so small, and it has to be so accurate, I was pencilling
every seam line. *I only got one sample block made and half, I repeat,
half, of a real block constructed. I have been staring at it, and
cutting the triangles for weeks and just getting up and walking out of
the room.
There was just no quick way to strip piece because I was using random
colors following the general theme. *It had to be dead accurate and
there are a lot of bias edges.
I have made the decision. Final. If there is no joy in it, cut my
losses. * I've packed the cut triangles into ziplocks, and folded all
the material to put away.
I'll now look at some other simpler design and use what uncut material
I have left.

I feel better now.

Happy New Year everyone!

Cheers
Bronnie

I've got a good idea - you can all do one block each for me! *I need
59 volunteers Ha! Ha!
But truly, I I have done a couple of sample pp in the past, and it is
just not my scene. *I don't handsew in front of the box at night
either and I'm not old enough to be sitting in doctor's waiting rooms
for attention (sorry, couldn't resist that!!!)..

Thank you all though for thinking this thru for me. *It is
appreciated, and it is fun to have these interactive discussions....
Just out of interest, the colours in my photo example is not 'exactly'
my fabric choice. *Nearly. I should post the EQ7 full quilt design. It
was going to be on-point and I was going to alternate blocks with a
change of corner square color *- a darker beige. *I'll do that later
today.
Bronnie

Here is the link for the new pix - two alternatives, one with sashing.
The alternate blocks were just rotated.http://picasaweb.google.com/bronferr...55594032530629...

they do look rather lovely.

Bronnie- Hide quoted text -

Bronnie - I must say, having seen the photos of some of your
masterpieces this should be a walk in the park for you. Although as
others have said - if it's not fun, don't bother. PP isn't
particularly my cup of tea either but I do see it's value for certain
circumstances. For me, it takes a bit of thinking as I don't do it
very often but once I get in the groove it's not so bad.

Looking at your two colorways I can't decide which I like better -
they are both gorgeous! Your design ability is wonderful. I envy
that of many of our RCTQr's. I'm a good copier - not a good
designer. It's all about enjoying the process.

Have a wonderful 2011.

Kim in NJ
Old December 29th 10, 07:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Kim
I wish you and yours a happy, healthy and balloon-rising year ahead!
Bronnie
Old December 29th 10, 07:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

Default Defeat avoided - block construction

wrote:

[...]

Maybe I can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat!
My quilting buddy came around this afternoon for a game of mah jong
and lo and behold she had found the pattern that uses this block.
Maybe she showed me it last year and I got busy on EQ7.
the link is he http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projec...e-stars_1.html

Fact 1: the block is originally designed for a block size of 18 3/4
inches. I must have just decided to scale it down to 12in.
Fact 2: the triangles for this original size are almost twice as big,
hence much easier to sew together.
Fact 3: the pattern gives the optimum construction diagrams (machine
or hand (not pp) - much easier than what I was attempting.
Fact 4: with an 18 3/4in block, I can still do an on-point design
which looks good and only uses 25 blocks plus setting triangles
instead of 40-odd.

I guess at the time I just thought 18 3/4in was a really strange
number! Method in their madness, as the saying goes.

Now, I shall decide to start over with the new.

This has been a fun discussion, hope I haven't wasted too many of your
brain cells on this oneBG Thanks, as always. Shall keep you posted
of course.
Bronnie

Old December 29th 10, 08:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Yummmmm!
I love number 1, with the narrow sashing. 2 gives the large blank
squares I was hesitant about right from the start; but 1 is gorgeous.
..
In message
,
Bronnie writes
On Dec 29, 11:06*am, Bronnie wrote:

Here is the link for the new pix - two alternatives, one with sashing.
The alternate blocks were just rotated.
http://picasaweb.google.com/bronferr...40325306298114

they do look rather lovely.

Bronnie

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old December 29th 10, 08:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Terrific!
How amazingly different, the colour placements in this picture make the
four stars. So, you will be able to make it after all. So glad. It'll
be one to see and no mistake.
..
In message
,
Bronnie writes

Maybe I can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat!
My quilting buddy came around this afternoon for a game of mah jong
and lo and behold she had found the pattern that uses this block.
Maybe she showed me it last year and I got busy on EQ7.
the link is he
http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projec...angings/batik-
triangle-stars_1.html

Old December 29th 10, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

They used batiks, which are tightly woven. Would that help with the
bias edges?

Bev in TX

On 12/29/10 1:39 AM, Bronnie wrote:
On Dec 29, 1:50 pm, wrote:

Old December 29th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

On Dec 29, 6:01*pm, Pat S wrote:
Yummmmm!
I love number 1, with the narrow sashing. *2 gives the large blank
squares I was hesitant about right from the start; but 1 is gorgeous.
.
In message
,
Bronnie writes

On Dec 29, 11:06 am, Bronnie wrote:

Here is the link for the new pix - two alternatives, one with sashing.
The alternate blocks were just rotated.
http://picasaweb.google.com/bronferr...55594032530629...

they do look rather lovely.

Bronnie

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green

Bear in mind those pix are with the old dimensions. There'll be less
blocks in the new.
And I don't have to decide on to sash or not until I have completed
the blocks.

Wonderful to have a new direction.

Bronnie
ps Pat, are you up to the top of your sewing machine in snow? We are
recovering from biggest rainfall in the month in 50 years. Floods
everywhere, but not on our hill.
Old December 29th 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Oh! That is awesome!
I esp. like the one w/out the sashing. Lovely, Bronnie, lovely
to look at, even if it never becomes a fabric quilt.

R/Sandy

Here is the link for the new pix - two alternatives, one with sashing.
The alternate blocks were just rotated.
http://picasaweb.google.com/bronferr...40325306298114

they do look rather lovely.

Bronnie

On 12/28/10 9:29 PM, in article
, "Bronnie"

Old December 30th 10, 08:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Well I was!
But it has thawed - all gone except the remains of the piles accumulated
during clearing.
Hope your floods do not prove to be damaging.
..
In message
,
Bronnie writes

Old January 1st 11, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Wow, that's pretty! The bigger size would certainly make things
easier. If it were me, I'd put a snowball block-size triangle at the
outer corner of the 4 corner squares in each block, so they would come
together and make a little square inside the big square that forms
where the blocks meet. (Hope that made sense)
Roberta in D

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 23:39:04 -0800 (PST), Bronnie
wrote:

[...]

OT Need help from clothing construction experts Leslie& The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 1 December 2nd 09 01:04 AM
Q: pajama construction. Michael Press Sewing 5 January 25th 06 07:04 PM
pattern construction book ? JJMolvik Yarn 2 April 2nd 04 09:11 PM
Raku Kiln Construction mark Pottery 6 October 27th 03 11:40 AM
Newbie!!! (i admit it, and need all the advice i can get) C. Gregory Beads 7 July 9th 03 04:31 AM