OT - Patchwork Coverlet?

Old November 21st 10, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

Default OT - Patchwork Coverlet?

My DH has decided that he would like something a bit cooler than a
quilt, so I suggested a patchwork coverlet. It will be very simple
patchwork -- just 9" squares (9 rows by 9 columns) with a border. I've
never seen directions on how to make one of these, so I have a some
questions ...

Does one sew the front & back together as if one was quilting?

Does one just "birth" the coverlet? Or can a binding be applied? If
the latter, is there anything extra that needs to be done differently
because of the missing batting?

Thanks,
--
Bev in TX
Old November 21st 10, 04:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Nope, Bev. Easy as that. You can birth it or you can bind it. You can
quilt it or tack it. Mr. Esther's mom made lots of those for her
grandchildren. She used linen samples from an interior decorator. They
wore like iron and were very much loved. Be sure to make it big enough so a
fight doesn't break out. Polly

Old November 21st 10, 07:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey Bev

My mama used to make those when I was a girl. She called them summer
quilts. She quilted them like any other quilt.

Kate T. South Mississippi
Old November 21st 10, 01:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

On 11/20/10 9:46 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
Be sure to make it big enough
so a fight doesn't break out. Polly

Thanks!

So how much overhang would you recommend?

Block Size Overhang per side

9.0" 10.5"
9.5" 12.5"
10.0" 15"

--
Bev in TX
Old November 21st 10, 01:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

On 11/21/10 12:07 AM, Kate T. wrote:
Hey Bev

My mama used to make those when I was a girl. She called them summer
quilts. She quilted them like any other quilt.

Kate T. South Mississippi

Thanks for that info :-).

Many years ago, I visited a couple of elderly ladies, who lived in the
high desert. They made these, and I thought they were beautiful. I
knew nothing about quilting the time (and little about sewing in
general, for that matter), so I did not pay any attention to the
coverlets' construction. Still, it came to mind when my DH asked for a
cooler "blanket".

--
Bev in TX
Old November 21st 10, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I'm always ridiculously over-generous with the over hang part. I like 18-20
in. It also helps stop fighting over the covers.

With today's extra thick mattresses you should probably measure to be sure
how much you need- enough to cover the top sheet, blanket, etc. You'd be
so sad if it turned out too short! ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old November 21st 10, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

If you bind it, you probably don't have to cut the binding as wide as if
you were using binding because it will be a thinner edge to bind. Might
be worth experimenting with.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html
-----------

Old November 21st 10, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in SoCal

My granny called them Summer Quilts, too. They were always birthed and
quilted, not bound. They were terrific in the summer evenings on the
screened porch at night, just the right amount of weight and security!
Please post a picture!
have fun with it!
Old November 22nd 10, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

On 11/21/10 4:24 PM, amy in SoCal wrote:
My granny called them Summer Quilts, too. They were always birthed and
quilted, not bound. They were terrific in the summer evenings on the
screened porch at night, just the right amount of weight and security!
Please post a picture!
have fun with it!

Here is a picture of the proposed "summer quilt", as exported from EQ
(Electric Quilt). To get it the size my DH wants it, I decreased the
finished block size to 7.5" and increased the number of blocks. You can
also see a picture of the fabric used in the main diagonal -- It does
not show up well in the EQ pictu

http://picasaweb.google.com/countryone77/SummerQuilt#

I'm only using fabric from my stash.

I've never birthed such a large quilt before (105"x97.5").

--
Bev in TX

Patchwork anyone? juliasb Quilting 8 November 14th 08 04:21 PM
tv and patchwork... pomodoro Quilting 14 August 24th 06 06:07 PM
Mi página de patchwork. Patricia Quilting 8 May 3rd 04 05:40 PM
My Patchwork's Web. Patricia Quilting 5 May 3rd 04 05:34 PM
Patchwork Vera Mendes Quilting 8 November 22nd 03 09:18 PM