OT do you remember?

Old November 16th 10, 02:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

Default OT do you remember?

On Nov 16, 7:27*am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
Sherry, we raised 'one of those'.
* * Sherry wrote, in part, *One kid doesn't like celery in the
dressing.
One kid doesn't like onions. One kid spends half of dinnertime picking
the
"things" out of giblet gravy. I'm tired of serving half-naked
dressing.
* * Trust me. *Oh how those picky eaters get easy to please when they have
to do their own cooking or be appreciative of their bride's. *Makes my
little heart smile every time I see it happening. *Polly

"Sherry" wrote in message

On Nov 15, 9:48 pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:

LET ME JUST blow your mind. I've decided that I don't have to cook the
traditional Thanksgiving Dinner. I can be just as thankful with a menu
that
we will enjoy. It's always just me and Mr. Esther and he doesn't
particularly care one way or the other.
So.
I've decided to fix salads: potato, shrimp ... maybe ham ... Might
even get 'cute' and serve a mound of each on a lettuce leaf.
Because ....
We haven't had a banana split in decades and I have really been
longing for one. (Mr. Esther never met ice cream he didn't love.)
Easy meal; spectacular dessert.
I almost remember how the creation goes:
banana split lengthwise. Three flavors ice cream
Chocolate syrup on the chocolate scoop
Pineapple something on the vanilla one.
something? on top of the strawberry ice cream scoop
whipped cream on all , chopped nuts on top of that and a cherry on top.
I've got it all remembered except: what goes on the strawberry ice
cream? Do you remember? And can you think of any reason why we have to
have
what most folks are eating? h

Marshmallow cream is good on the chocolate. IIRC they just have
strawberry
topping on the strawberry?
Yay for you. We're not doing traditional either. I have looked at my
last pitiful
turkey carcass with the breast picked off in the fridge for a week
until I finally
haul it out to the garbage, and feel all guilty about the families who
would have
eaten it. The reason I never just cooked a turkey breast is that DH
gets a
whole turkey from his work. This year I'm giving the frozen turkey
away to
someone who needs it.
There will only be 4 of us. One kid doesn't like celery in the
dressing.
One kid doesn't like onions. One kid spends half of dinnertime picking
the
"things" out of giblet gravy. I'm tired of serving half-naked
dressing.
If the weather's good, DH is gonna smoke a brisket. If it's not, I'm
fixing
beef burgundy with those tiny red-skinned potatoes and a salad.
I love your banana split idea, maybe after dinner we'll have a banana
split
or sundae bar with all the toppings buffet style. Yum-o.

Sherryd- Hide quoted text -

Growing up our household was similar. There were 4 children -
everyone hated something different as well. Each child was only
allowed to pick out one item that they hated during a given meal - you
had to eat the rest. Still didn't do a thing to not make me a picky
eater as an adult.

Kim in NJ
Old November 16th 10, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

Polly,
Being vegetarians for 38 years we never celebrate Thanksgiving the
"traditional" way with lots of Animal bits and pieces. We have
established our own tradition of Pine Nut Loaf, Mushroom Gravy,
Casserole of Stuffing which is three layers and beautiful, a vegetable
like Peas, and Sweet Potatoes and for desert Pumpkin Pie. We have had
non vegetarians over for the meal and they always marvel at the taste
sensations and say that they never miss all the meat. It does take 2
days to prepare, so it is not for the cooking challenged. But it is
possible and enjoyable to do your own version of what a good meal of
celebration is. One of the strangest things for an American, is to be
overseas on Thanksgiving where they don't celebrate our Holidays. It
is just another day for them.
John

Sounds delicious! Can you provide recipes?
--
Bev in TX
Old November 16th 10, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

On 16/11/2010 7:44 AM, AuntK wrote:
On Nov 15, 11:17 pm, "Polly wrote:
Delightful! Share with us the pilot/captain balloon in the parade adventure.
We would love to hear all about it. How do you prepare for:
rain/snow/ice... typhoon level wind? What if you're dying of thirst? Do
you have to deal with over-excited careless toddlers? How many hours/miles?
We want to do it with you. ( Collapsed on the sofa, of course.) Polly

wrote in message

On Nov 15, 10:48 pm, "Polly wrote:

[...]

Sorry...can't help you with the strawberry topping. Believe it or not
I've never eaten a banana split! But whatever work for you and Mr.
Esther should be just perfect. DH and I will be falling asleep in our
friends mashed potatoes after piloting/captaining the Buzz Lightyear
balloon in the NY Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. We've done the
parade for several years now so we don't have to make any other plans
for Thanksgiving and get the family in an uproar. Enjoy those banana
splits!

Kim in NJ- Hide quoted text -

We actually started out several years ago as handlers - the people
you never see on camera holding all those lines coming from the
balloon. We then progressed to captain (me) and pilot (DH). We have
field training each year with the actual balloons and run around a
parking lot or football field doing turns and keeping everyone in line
looking pretty. The training is held regardless of weather since the
parade happens regardless of weather. We've been drenched during
both; had snow on the trip into the city, etc. The parade route is
2.5 miles long. We arrive in NYC about 5:30AM, get into our coverall
costumes and then get bussed to the start of the parade - 77th st. and
central park west. The balloons are lined up on the 2 side streets
and all the floats are lined up on central park west. There are a
bazillion people in clown costumes and make up running around
everywhere. Party atmosphere doesn't even cover it. One by one each
float and balloon is called into the parade. The giant balloons (like
Buzz Lightyear) have 3 pilots; 3 captains; 2 vehicles and about 50-70
handlers each. Along with a NYC policeman. The pilots make sure the
balloon is 'flying' at the correct height for the wind/weather
conditions and the captains make sure all the handlers have their
lines in correct position and that they are in proper formation and to
make sure that the balloon does not hit any trees, light poles, etc.
Spectators are held behind low, portable fencing by said police and
everyone is incredibly polite and jovial. The kids get a tremendous
kick out of the whole thing. As do the adults, actually. You
eventually make your way past the camera area and the parade ends at
the Macy's store in Herald Square. You then continue to the deflation
area, let out all the helium, squish these monsters as flat as you
can, put them back in their carts - which are basically giant postal
bins on wheels - and then walk back to the New Yorker hotel to get
your pin and head home. There are NO potty breaks during the parade.
They don't feed you until you are done and then it's packaged danish
and coffee/tea/water. We get home about 2-3PM and then head over to
friends and have dinner there. Usually in my slippers cuz the feet
are DONE by the time we get home. Eat dinner about 4 and usually
nodding off during dessert. I'm usually in bed by about 8:30 that
night. It's a VERY LONG day but it's great fun. All the participants
are either Macy's employees or, like us, members of a hot air balloon
organization. The employees are from all over the country. Most are
bussed from the more local areas and I'm guessing those from further
away fly, probably at their own expense. All are volunteers - there
is no pay involved.

Enjoy those salads and banana splits. We'll be thinking of you as our
tummy's are growling.

What a wonderful day! Thanks for the description!!
Allison
Old November 16th 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Your Thanksgiving meal sounds yummy to me!
For more than 20 years we celebrated with a homemade Mexican meal because
within the next few weeks we had turkey at 2 "work" dinners and 3 family
dinners. We craved something different!
Barbara in FL where we now find an open buffet to go to

Old November 16th 10, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Nov 16, 10:20*am, Bev in TX wrote:
[...]

I will have to as my wife about the recipes. I am sure she will give
them out. The Casserole of stuffing is rather complex, and I will have
to scan it into the reply. The pine nut loaf is no mean feat either.
Probably will have to scan most of them. Being as there are only 2 of
us, and the recipes make enough for a bunch, we usually make the
entire recipe and then save half of it and freeze it and have it again
for our Christmas dinner.
John
Old November 16th 10, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy[_2_]

On the banana split - I remember chocolate sauce on the chocolate,
caramel on the vanilla, and strawberry sauce on the strawberry,
covered with whipped cream, a sprinkle of nuts and a cherry on the
top!

When most of our kids were grown we still invited all of them (and
wives/hubbys, kids) over for dinner -- then we "gals" got to talking
one year and found that each of them STILL did up their own turkey at
home!!!! With 6 kids, our table began to get waaay tooo small (24+
family members over) SO we decided to have everyone over for desserts
instead.
....and we use the "good china" (i.e.paper plates) so we can enjoy the
time spent together instead of cleaning up! Works for us!

ME-Judy

Old November 16th 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson[_2_]

On 16/11/2010 03:48, Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

Quality ingredients! We make our own ice cream using the best
ingredients we can afford - organic milk, berries from the local
pick-your-own fields, etc. So we don't use anything except bananas and
our own ice cream. I say buy the best ice cream you can afford and
knock yourself out.

Not literally please.

-- Jo in Scotland

Old November 16th 10, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:48:36 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

[...]

That sounds like the PERFECT Thanksgiving meal to me --- and I'm
always "thankful" for a banana split!

-Irene
Old November 16th 10, 11:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT do you know ice cream?

Now that we have the strawberry topper resolved, I'm wondering about name
brands. We probably haven't bought any real ice cream in a decade - or
whipping cream for that matter. Is there really any difference in the
quality of store-bought ice cream or is it just a matter of personal
preference? Polly

Anybody remember... Moonraker Glass 5 October 21st 06 11:51 PM
OT remember this Polly Esther Quilting 17 November 9th 05 04:47 AM
Hello All Remember me? Quilt! Quilting 2 May 27th 05 02:45 AM
ot do you remember when? A M Schaus Needlework 2 January 8th 04 06:53 AM
Does anyone remember? Rosemary Needlework 1 August 8th 03 01:08 AM