Pine Tree Block Comparison

Old November 7th 10, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

Default Pine Tree Block Comparison

Yes, you made perfect sense :-). I had not planned on getting too artsy
with these blocks, but I haven't finished designing the quilt yet -- so
who knows?

Bev in TX

On 11/7/10 7:57 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
Can't think of much reason to use the tiny squares, Bev, unless you were
wanting to get terribly artsy and do something like grade the greens to
make it appear that there was sunshine incoming at 10 o'clock. Do I make
any sense? Nevermind. Let's have coffee. Polly

--
Bev in TX
Old November 7th 10, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IEZ[_2_]

"Roberta" Roberta@Home wrote in message
IMO, use the smaller pieces on the right if you want to use multiple
greens. But if it's all the same green, you might as well go with the
left-hand one. HOWEVER, I think you need to re-draft it so the left
side of that block is more a mirror image of the right side. the 2
different construction methods really hit me in the eye. I'd probably
also make a single larger square/diamond in the very middle, instead
of filling up with strips, so that it's perfectly mirror-symmetrical
(if that makes sense).
Roberta in D

Yes, what she said! The asymmetry of the left-hand block bothers me, and I
don't like the long strips.

I'd find a compromise between the two blocks that would eliminate the strips
and some of the smaller pieces.

Iris

Old November 7th 10, 07:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Wow- ambitious project. ;-) That will make the triangles quite small but
much less chance to notice using the larger strip-type pieces, too.

This quilt is gonna be AMAZING!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Bev in TX" wrote in message
There are 84 6x8 blocks, which you can see at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/countryo...92985007157458

or: http://tinyurl.com/29auonj

Bev in TX

On 11/7/10 8:13 AM, Taria wrote:
I think Leslie has it right here. How many are you making? How big is
it?
Taria

"Bev in wrote in message
The pine tree blocks viewable at the following URL are essential the
same -- or are they?

http://picasaweb.google.com/countryo...01351023290514

or http://tinyurl.com/295tgj5

The one on the left has fewer fabric pieces, which would make for easier
construction. However, I'm wondering whether the smaller patches in the
one on the right might make it look slightly more realistic? Or won't
that be discernible in the finished quilt?

What do you think?
--
Bev in TX

--
Bev in TX

Old November 7th 10, 08:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

I've made two quilts for my DH, but they were lap size ones. He wants
one big enough for a king size bed, with plenty of hang over. This
quit, as currently designed, will be 110"x112". I think that by the
time I complete this quilt, that I'll be an expert at a number of things
that I've not tried yet (either that or pulling out my hair).

And, you don't know the half of it :-). There is an empty area in the
middle of the quilt. My DH plans on drawing designs, which I will then
digitize (most probably as redwork designs) and then machine embroider
them. I don't know how to digitize yet :-).

Obviously this will not be quickly made. I am enjoying the designing
process.

Bev in TX

Old November 8th 10, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

I don't think the difference will be discernible on the finished
quilt. But I would use a batik with lots of movement and varied
colors.

Sunny
Old November 8th 10, 03:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Couldn't she just stitch the diamond lines on top of long strips of a
varied batik or other such fabric? Seems to me that would break the
spaces as well as piecing IMHO.

Sunny
Old November 8th 10, 12:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann

I think it depends on the look you want to achieve. The left-hand
pictu if all the trees are out of the same fabric and with a sharp
contrast between the trees and the background, the effect will be very
graphic. The right-hand pictu for a 'spangly' look, using many
greens (which may be very, very low-contrast; or somewhat contrasted).
(I've sometimes put in a red triangle for "cardinal in the pine
tree.")

All that said, the picture you show has the pieces cut at not-90-
degree angle (they're diamonds). That could be tricky piecing. You
may be up for it. (Not me!)

Nann

http://picasaweb.google.com/countryo...s#553680135102...

Old November 8th 10, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 11:29:09 -0600, Bev in TX wrote
(in article ):

http://picasaweb.google.com/countryo...80135102329051
4

or http://tinyurl.com/295tgj5

The one on the left has fewer fabric pieces, which would make for easier
construction. However, I'm wondering whether the smaller patches in the
one on the right might make it look slightly more realistic? Or won't
that be discernible in the finished quilt?

What do you think?
--
Bev in TX

that will be an amazing quilt.