Rotary Cutter Catastrophe

Old October 3rd 10, 09:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ursula Schrader

Default Rotary Cutter Catastrophe

IMS wrote...
Last night I was cutting strips of Christmas fabrics to make table
runner gifts. Let me say that I consider myself a Very careful
cutter, I always know where my hands are, where the blade is, and go
slow. But last night I was tired and had my left pinkie just a tad
over the edge of the ruler. I won't go into the gory details but
after a trip to the emergency room, a tetunus shot, and prescriptions
for pain meds and antibiotics, I am home safe and sound, abit with one
very sore and well bandaged pinkie. DH said he never realized quilting
could be so dangerous. Neither did I, but I learned my lesson and
will no longer handle the rotary cutter after 11pm!

-Irene

Awww! That hurts! I know, I'm Queen of Finger Accidents, just like Nel is
Queen of Gadgets. On my left hand there's no finger without minor or major
injury or scar. Actually, the top phalanx of my left ringfinger is missing
entirely. But that was an accident in my cabinetmaker days; tools there are
bigger and more powerful. That one had new blades, that's why it got only
the top of three fingers, one so badly that it had to be amputated as the
fingernail would have caused trouble. Other than that, some missing and
regrown skin on the fingertips is due to household accidents. Clean cuts, I
like my knives sharp.

Anyway, the only serious injury on my right hand is the index finger where
my departed cat bit me (he didn't mean to, he just didn't want to open his
mouth and I had my finger there.)
Well, I guess the reason for the proneness of left hands for accidents is
that their owners are mostly right handed and the hand that holds the
knife... ;-)

Aw, dear, get well soon, and no more nighttime cutting! ;-)

U.

Old October 3rd 10, 09:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Oh, ouch! Hope today you are feeling little pain or discomfort.
Yesterday at the pillowcase sew-in, I was using an unfamiliar rotary
cutter and ruler at the cutting station set-up. It felt awkward in my
hands, and my mind flashed to an accident just waiting to happen! So,
immediately stopped and retrieved my own tools to use at that station
- it felt much safer. Being ambidextrous, there are scars on both
hands from boo-boos, and I do cut with a rotary cutter with either
hand.

Ginger in CA

Old October 4th 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

Thanks everone, for the sympathy The pain has lessened (at least
the throbbing part!) and as long as that end of the pinkie isn't
bumped it's OK. The bandaging makes it a little hard to type but I
suppsose I should be grateful I still have the finger lol

In spite of the injury today I finished up the first Christmas gift
using the guilty fabric strips!

-Irene

Old October 4th 10, 02:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

OOOOOO, no, Irene.....hope you are doing better.
oweeee.
amy in CNY (for 7 more days!!)
Old October 4th 10, 01:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 18:01:17 -0500, IMS wrote
(in article ):

Thanks everone, for the sympathy The pain has lessened (at least
the throbbing part!) and as long as that end of the pinkie isn't
bumped it's OK. The bandaging makes it a little hard to type but I
suppsose I should be grateful I still have the finger lol

In spite of the injury today I finished up the first Christmas gift
using the guilty fabric strips!

-Irene

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 13:57:03 -0700 (PDT), Ginger in CA
wrote:

Wow! I couldn't type or sew for quite awhile after my accident.

Maureen

New rotary cutter? Polly Esther[_5_] Quilting 33 September 29th 09 07:14 PM
Rotary cutter help please Ruth[_2_] Quilting 2 August 3rd 07 02:05 PM
rotary cutter Sara Lorimer Quilting 2 January 28th 06 12:35 AM
rotary cutter help Derek Hartmann Quilting 5 January 6th 04 05:28 PM
rotary cutter help Charlotte Hippen Quilting 9 January 5th 04 07:00 PM