You Can't do that!

Old August 5th 10, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

Default You Can't do that!

Susan,
I think we had the same mom! and some of the same past!!!
I can't imagine my life without fabric and quilting. Wouldn't be
the same.
amy in CNY
Old August 7th 10, 08:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Yes, but you have to set the 'rules' very early on gg
..
In message
,
Kathyl writes

You mean there IS hope? Dare I even think it?
KJ

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old August 7th 10, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

The best thing that happened was my Hysterechtomy about 15years ago.
Hithertofore, DH would cook, clean (under protest) and child mind, but
Supermarkets? No, nay, NEVER!

Then he HAD to because I couldn't drive.

Now he takes pride in spotting bargains, BOGOFs and specials with the
best. He pretends to hate it, but is quite proud when he comes home
toting his latest coup.

And I've told you before how good he is in a LQS...

He doesn't go often, but he is nifty when the chips are down. A real
keeper!

Nel
(GQ)
Old August 7th 10, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 07/08/2010 16:12, Sartorresartus wrote:
The best thing that happened was my Hysterechtomy about 15years ago.
Hithertofore, DH would cook, clean (under protest) and child mind, but
Supermarkets? No, nay, NEVER!

Then he HAD to because I couldn't drive.

Now he takes pride in spotting bargains, BOGOFs and specials with the
best. He pretends to hate it, but is quite proud when he comes home
toting his latest coup.

And I've told you before how good he is in a LQS...

He doesn't go often, but he is nifty when the chips are down. A real
keeper!

Nel
(GQ)

He's like a man with a mission in the supermarket! I've seen it first
hand...

Mind you, so is Alan. I have not regularly done the weekly shopping
since the GMNT was a small cherub. I always hated it.

The trouble starts when Chris and Alan go supermarket shopping together.
Forget lists: it turns into a two-man plague of locusts!

Mind you, let Nel and I loose in a fabric or thread emporium, and it's
somewhat similar! You should have seen what we brought home from
Empress Mills when we went thread shopping after she bought the
Huskylock and the Artista!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 9th 10, 05:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lobo

I'm giggling because I just watched "Pretty Woman" again, and I thought you
were going to say you took your lovely quilt and a list of the total cost of
the quilting supplies you bought elsewhere, shook them in that ugly shop
owner's face and said, "Remember how you said I couldn't learn to quilt
without you? Big mistake. Huge!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mary" wrote in message

snip
finish. I read it carefully, and then stopped by a fairly new quilt
shop on the way home from work, wanting an idea of the cost of
quilting. Well, the owner rather snottily informed me that I couldn't
possibly learn to quilt without taking special classes and investing
about $200 in tools, not including needing a special sewing machine
(which she could special order for me, of course). I was really
offended by her attitude, particularly since the book I had read said
how very little girls in early America began learning to sew by
piecing quilts. And I had watched my grandmother quilt with things

snip ...

Old August 9th 10, 06:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

I might be coming in late here but I say tell them to go for it. I did a
lot of things in my beginning years teaching myself how to do things
that I had no concept of what was supposed to be difficult. Of course I
did a lot wrong but I was sure proud of what I did mistakes or not. So I
shutter when I hear people say things like that's too hard for you. They
should say things like that will require a lot of patience and practice,
never it's too hard. Just my two cents.
Take Care
joanna

Polly Esther wrote:
Do I dare to say that? Has anybody ever told you that?
And did you think, "Watch me" ?
Presuming myself to be a quilting teacher never crossed my mind. I'm
retired. I make quilts for needy babies. But, as life would have it,
there was one and then five, and you know how it goes, ... here I am,
mostly unqualified and only a little 'willing' to teach.
Last week, a beginner asked me to show her how to do a block with
lots of diamonds and many inset seams.
Today, one wanted to know how to do some fabric folded flowers that
require serious accuracy.
Do you teach? At all? Do you try to persuade beginners to begin
with baby steps? or just encourage them to go for it? Polly