Add someone to your prayer list, if you could....

Old January 7th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Add someone to your prayer list, if you could....

Yul Brenner was one of the sexiest men alive and he walked liked a panther -
so graceful but with this contained power. His ball room dancing lesson -
in "The King and I" with Deborah Kerr is one of my most treasured memories.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Oh Anastasia ... this message is a heart breaker. Of course I will put
Johnny on my list of those needing special thoughts and prayers. Do remind
him that some of the most popular entertainers are cue bald! Patrick
Stewart for one. So, are you making Johnny a quilt?
PAT in VA/USA

Teacher Gal wrote:
Since I've been prodded into opening up a bit more around here (thanks
Snigs, Sharon, and Pat), I've got a request.

When I was teaching high school, I happened to meet a kid who was
securely in the "At Risk" column. The kid had dropped out the year
before, was angry at the world, and was incredibly difficult to reach,
according to other teachers.

Somehow, I succeeded in forging a bond with this kid, and although I
haven't taught in almost two years, I still keep very regular contact
with this guy. He's the son I really wish I could have had, and I believe
he considers me a mother figure in his life, since his mom is REALLY not
someone he cares for much (meth busts, she steals from him constantly,
boyfriends who beat her, constant problems with the law--she's a real
winner).

This young man has turned his life completely around, even after I left
that school district. He's a straight A student now, has been accepted
to university, and is president of at least three clubs at the school.
I'm beyond proud of him, but he knows it was all his hard work that got
him there.

Now for the crappy part. He has recently found out that he has cancer in
his stomach. He thought they had removed it all, but it had spread, and
he's now undergoing chemotherapy. The guy is amazing for what he's done
with his life, now this disease is threatening to take that life from him
much sooner than we all planned on him going. His "take no prisoners"
attitude is rapidly deteriorating, and my pep talks aren't helping much
anymore as the chemo effects show up. (He's fiercely proud of his very
long, black hair, and it's falling out. He called me crying that day.
Broke my heart.)

If you find it in your hearts to give Johnny a thought or a prayer in the
coming weeks, please do so. I really care about this kid....ah, hell. I
LOVE the little snot, and it would be like a loss of a family member if
he were to leave us.

Thanks,

Anastasia

--who's going for a good cry right now.

Old January 7th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

What are his favorite colors. I'll send a block - a FQ to contribute to the
cause. Take a look at my "Steel Hug" in my Webshots album for inspiration.
Just let us know what his likes are and I guarantee that these big hearted
and generous RCTQ folk will inundate you with their lovely offerings.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Teacher Gal" wrote in message
Pat said:
Oh Anastasia ... this message is a heart breaker. Of course I will put
Johnny on my list of those needing special thoughts and prayers. Do
remind him that some of the most popular entertainers are cue bald!
Patrick Stewart for one. So, are you making Johnny a quilt?

Sweet Mother! How on earth did I NOT think of this before?!?!?!

Anastasia

--who is rooting through the stash right now.......

Old January 7th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

ahhhhh - come on ... I wanna be a part of the RAINBOW OF HUGS.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Teacher Gal" wrote in message
.. .
Pat gave me some good advice with:

Good ... you can channel some of the anger and despair into quilting.
maybe consult Johnny for color and style? Do you want a squishy of
specific theme fabric? Most of us love to rootle in our stashes. Some
even cause Avalanche!

He's "flamboyant," as I said, so I think I'm going to go with a rainbow of
colors. With a bit of Rocky Horror lips fabric I saw at Hancock's the
other day. Oooh! Wait! I think a big old set of those lips in the
center, with rainbow striped blocks set all around them. He'd LOVE that!

Anastasia

--who isn't hitting up for squishies, especially since she has only
recently been placed into the directory. I'm sure I'll find what I need!
Bless you, Pat, for such a good idea!

Old January 8th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

because I said:

--who isn't hitting up for squishies, especially since she has only
recently been placed into the directory.

Good gracious! I know you all are just the sweetest, most generous group on
the planet now! I've hardly been out of the "RCTQ Closet" for a week, and
here you are, practically throwing fabric at me!

Since you've offered, I'd prefer bold rainbow colors, with very little
pattern or print on them. I don't know what size blocks are going to go
around this Rocky Horror lips panel, or how many, as I'm just finishing the
pattern for the lips applique. I'll probably sketch the whole thing out
tonight, then figure out all the minor details (block size, amount of fabric
I get to go shop for, etc.).

Ginger has my address, as I'm quite nervous about putting it on the web
willy-nilly. I'm sure she'd be happy to give it up to you.

Anastasia

--who is pleased at how well the huge applique pattern has turned out. Now
to blow it up to actual size and start with the tracing, etc.

Old January 8th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Prayers on their way from here! And hugs for you.

--Heidi
Plattsburgh (UPstate) NY

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

===

Old January 8th 06, 08:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Anastasia-

My DDH worked with children like this and I know from his stories how
heartbreaking it can be and how wonderfully fulfilling it is when you
can "reach" one and turn them around. What a wonderful job you've done
with him! Bless you for that. I'll send a whole big bunch of prayers
and good thoughts in his direction. May he conquer the cancer and
continue with his great success.

Leslie

Old January 8th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Anatasia-

Perhaps hug blocks from us- total strangers- will encourage him and let
him know how very many people are pulling for him and rooting him on?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

No revised Information list! MRH Yarn 4 December 2nd 05 06:46 PM
The Links List: for newbies and oldbies alike Dr. Sooz Beads 13 June 21st 05 01:07 AM
let the HUG LIST begin....! Queen of Squishies Quilting 25 June 15th 05 12:14 PM
HUG list definition & invitation (little long) Queen of Squishies Quilting 1 August 31st 03 02:24 PM