Machine quilting question

Old September 12th 03, 04:18 PM
duh who

Default Machine quilting question

When my girlfriend made my quilt (which was not pieced, just bolt fabric
with a border) she was afraid of doing the actual quilting part by machine
because she was afraid the fabric would tend to bunch up as she got nearer
the border, ending up with a lump at the border.

Could this be solved by not putting the border on until the center area has
been quilted?

Dwight

Old September 12th 03, 05:43 PM
duh who

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Here's the book for you: Heirloom Machine Quilting by Harriet Hargraves.
Answers every possible question.

I"ll check it out.

When you say border, do you mean a contrasting "frame" around the central
piece, or do you mean the binding that finishes the raw edge?

Frame.

When I machine quilt, I baste extensively with half-inch brass safety

pins.
Then quilt some kind of grid, design depends on the final target of

course,
but something to stabilize the whole surface. Then, especially for large
quilts, I do all the quilting around the borders. Then I can add the

binding
and trim away excess backing and batting. Makes for a little bit less
wrestling. Then go back and finish the inner areas.
Roberta in D

OK, that helps. Thanks.

Old September 12th 03, 06:48 PM
Diana Curtis

You can do it that way, adding the border later.. but the bunching problems
can be taken care of with proper basting of the layers of the quilt, and
using the right foot on the machine, straight lines are easiest with a
walking foot (so Ive heard) and free motion quilting uses a darning type
foot.
Im pretty new at machine quilting but I havent really had a problem with
bunching as you describe.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old September 12th 03, 07:22 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Perhaps a better way to solve it is to first properly baste the quilt
(thread, pin, whatever). Also doing a fairly even density of quilting will
help, but some kind of stabilizing (basting) is a must, IMHO.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps