Need help with a quilting class

Old September 15th 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default Need help with a quilting class

First you can see the *very rough* prototype of the class project- I
*think* I'll call the class "Free Motion Fun"....

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/566975852PYXNXP

Now, my problem: This class is one where I'll teach the basics of free
motion but with the emphasis on beginner's thread painting (or machine
embroidery with a standard sewing machine- not an embroidery machine) as a
prelude to free motion quilting. Then the students will need to jump in
and play and have fun as they make their project. I want the students to
get used to the way the machine works and moving the fabric with the feed
dogs down- but in a project where long/short stitches or wavering off the
lines won't matter. I want the students to gain confidence with free motion
in a relaxed way before they tackle free motion quilting. I need to word
the class description so those with less self-confidence or who are very
self-conscience won't come to this class and stress out because I won't let
them mark stitching lines or make their project to be an exact copy of the
teacher's sample.

How on earth do I discourage those students who need an exact pattern with
lines to follow and yet still encourage beginners to jump in and play??? I
need to word the class description to not offend anybody but discourage
those who will not enjoy this free-for-all playing with thread and fabric
and put a damper on the entire class and waste their time and money. Geez,
that makes me sound like an awful person, but it really is to the benefit of
those who can't handle this type of class. And anybody who has taken a
class- or taught one- with someone who is not enjoying it and feeling
miserable will understand. It's not fun for anybody in the class.

Also, what would appeal to you in this class and how can I make the project
better or offer more options for learning about free motion?

TIA

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 15th 08, 07:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

How about using something in the description that goes along the lines
of "This class is to learn to fingerpaint with thread, and uses no
patterns, no lines, and no fixed format. Bring your free spirit, your
sense of adventure, and your imagination, and create something special
that is distinctly YOU."
Old September 15th 08, 07:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Oh boy! You don't believe in asking easy questions, do you!

I'll give it some thought. But, how long is the class?
..
In message , Leslie & The Furbabies
in MO. writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 15th 08, 11:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

The class will depend on the answers I get here! VBG If it seems, from
your feedback, that it isn't a great idea to push it all in one class due to
the stress level even for the free-spirited, then I'll break it up into two
2 hr. classes. If I get some feedback that it sounds like fun, then I could
do it all in one 3-4 hr. session with breaks possibly even a lunch break in
the middle. I'm not sure if it's even a good idea for a class. That's why
I need help..... and some opinions.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

.

Old September 15th 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita L. in MA

Wow, what a tough question. I'm thinking along the lines of "Remember
the joy you felt as a child - drawing with no rules and no limitations?
Relive that feeling..."

Rita L.

Old September 15th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

I would break it into two classes, for a couple of reasons. There is
the stress factor you brought up, but it would also allow the students
to have time to think on their own, play at home with the knowledge
they absorb from the first class, let them look at designs to
consider, etc.

Is this type of creativity something that your area would embrace? No
matter how much fun it might be, if there are not a lot of machine
quilters around you, then the class base will have to come from
elsewhere. Will they?

Ginger in CA

"Patti" wrote in message

[...]

pat on the hill- Hide quoted text -

Old September 15th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Looks like lots of fun! (Love those fishy scales.) I'd join you if I
could.
If these students really are beginners who have never tried stepping
off the cliff of free motion (sort of like free fall without a
parachute?), then you might want to do 2 sessions. Let them start with
all the usual FM exercises on a practice square. Put out lots of
sample styles to copy. Let them try drawing designs, for those who
really feel more comfortable doing that, but emphasize that by the end
of the 1st session, everybody should be able to make some completely
free-hand designs, however crude. Then they can graduate to the 2nd
session with thread painting. Sub-title it Drawing and Painting with
Thread.
Roberta in D

Old September 15th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I agree with Roberta. Try 2 sessions. The first one should just have the
feeling of moving the fabric under the machine with practice squares. For a
couple machine quilting classes we have sewn a big grid on our piece and
then filled in the grid with different freehand motifs. You would have a
hand out of several fairly simple fills. (Even sewing the grid without
marking is part of the exercise.) If they were trying this on your cute
fish piece right away, there are always those who will want that to look
good the first time. Having that little extra control after the practice
pieces will be more likely to give them more success with freehand thread
painting.
I wonder if trying the "Herky Jerky" applique technique would help to free
up their minds and hands. Just a thought.
http://www.bright-ideas-design.com/H...ky%20Jerky.htm

I think everyone has given you some good class description material.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old September 15th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I wonder if you had several samples available for them to look at -- or
perhaps something much more abstract than your cute fish -- would that
give some of your students more things to think about and make it easier
for them to come up with their own designs.

Maybe this description of a class I took last week will also give you
some ideas. It was a 6 hour workshop with Sue Nickels called "Folk
Garden Borders: Design and Machine Appliqué Techniques". She gave us a
pattern for this runner that could be part of a quilt border
http://www.sue.nickels.com/img/Folk-Garden-Borders.jpg. But she also
told us how she went about designing her borders before going into the
applique techniques that she uses. She encouraged us to design our own
runners/borders, but she also had the pattern for the less adventurous
in the group. She did encourage those who used the pattern to at least
make a few changes to it -- move something around, change an element or
two, etc. She had her notebook of photos of quilts that she uses for
inspiration, some of her quilts, and her book available for those who
wanted more ideas. I ended up doing something completely different; the
fabrics I had brought were in fall colors -- greens, browns, orange --
so I ended up doing something with oak leaves and acorns. I finished my
design in the class, but didn't get too far with the execution. I now
have everything fused, but the stitching will have to wait -- other
projects have higher priority right now

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
-----------

Old September 15th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Okay, some clarification- I planned to start them out with a piece of paper
with some shapes similar to quilting motifs drawn out- and no thread in the
machine- just needle punch along the lines. That would be to get the hand,
eye, needle and sewing on the lines coordinated. Then move on to drawing
shapes and writing their name, etc. on blank paper with no thread. I do not
want to get into FM quilting in this class, just playing with thread and get
the feel of having no feed dogs to depend upon for spacing. The FM quilting
would be the next class.

This idea with the fish is not the appliqué part (I taught that Saturday)
it's to get the thread where you want it and get the stitches fairly even
and build some confidence without stress- the playing around part. But with
this thread painting technique going off the lines/appliqué shapes and
uneven stitches just adds to the character and that's where the fun should
be- I did it intentionally so the example is do-able for them and they can
see that perfection is not the goal. When the students are comfortable with
the fabric gliding every which-a-way and the feeling of having no control
passes, I think then they will have the confidence to move on to the FM
quilting.

Well, that's how I hoped it would flow along! I think spacing the class
over two days is the best idea, too, y'all have talked me into that. Thanks
for giving me other points of view and the suggestions

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Julia in MN" wrote in message
[...]

Next Step in quilting class.... Mauvice in central WI Quilting 0 April 9th 08 04:25 AM
Need help with ideas for a quilting class- YIKES! Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 15 August 3rd 07 04:31 AM
LQS - Quilting class! C & S Quilting 2 March 16th 07 08:35 PM
Quilting Class Mary Quilting 2 May 19th 05 08:50 PM
Signed up for a quilting class Ann Quilting 0 September 28th 03 08:19 PM