Corinabeads and challenges

Old September 2nd 04, 06:12 AM
Dr. Sooz

I meant the beads I purchase from others too not just the ones I make.

Oh, I know! But I don't make beads, so I felt odd saying OMTP for your entire
statement.
~~
Sooz
Old September 2nd 04, 06:24 AM
Kalera Stratton

She's pretty damn human, all right! That's a fine quality, I like
people who walk around with their humanity showing. I would have been
thinking the same thing, if it had been my auction... "Holy crap,
they're only BEADS!"

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

~Candace~ wrote:
http://snipurl.com/8rg2

Hehehehehehehehehehe Corina can't spell.
It makes me giggle to see someone with such masterful talent do something so
human as mess up the word that says it all--Lampwork. (Lamwork?)

Old September 2nd 04, 06:27 AM
Kalera Stratton

It's the difference, in a real-market kind of way, between art and
craft. They may be one and the same to the maker, but the collector will
pay that kind of money for something they perceive as collectible art. I
think it's a wonderful step forward for lampwork as an art... we're
already there as a craft, but we have yet to be truly accepted as a fine
art. (I'm not saying that we're all artists, but there are some
lampworkers who are, and should be (and aren't) accepted as fine artists).

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Dr. Sooz wrote:
The auction that closed for over $1000: http://snipurl.com/8rg1 (to do her
site and read about her reaction to it)

Come ON. This is insane.
~~
Sooz

Old September 2nd 04, 06:35 AM
Kalera Stratton

I disagree.

Once lampwork *is* accepted as a fine art, and scholars are trained in
recognizing the nuances that make up the indelible signature of a bead
artist, authenticating them will be, relatively speaking, a piece of
cake. No two lampworkers work exactly the same, and while some patterns
can be carefully replicated, the existence of detailed photos of these
pieces will assist in confirming the artist of origin.

Will these retain their value? It's possible. I don't think they could
be resold tomorrow for that much (they might go for $1024 to the
next-highest bidder though) but in 30 years, they may well still be
worth $50+ per bead, or more.

I'd be shocked if I was in Corina's shoes, too. Who wouldn't? You'd have
to be an egomaniac to see that one coming. From another perspective,
it's not that astounding; at least two people perceived those beads as
art from a well-known artist, and bid accordingly.

-Kalera

http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kathy N-V wrote:
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:38:39 -0400, Dr. Sooz wrote
(in message ):

The auction that closed for over $1000: http://snipurl.com/8rg1 (to do her
site and read about her reaction to it)

Come ON. This is insane.

Sooz

I agree, and I am usually arguing to raise the prices that the
beadmakers get. That was a nice strand of lampwork, and Corina is
probably among the most well known lampworkers, but really. I've
seen nicer stuff made by our own RCB-ers, and I strongly suspect that
this is one set of beads that will not retain its value.

The number of people on Earth who know what lampwork is, appreciate
it as an art form, know who Corina is, and want to spend $1,000+ on
lampwork is vanishingly small. I'd venture to say that the number is
either one or two, and those people are the ones who bid that up in
the first place. Once the winning bidder has the goods, if she ever
wants to sell them, she'd have to get those same conditions to get
her money back, and since she isn't going to bid against herself to
run up the price, it won't rise anywhere near as high.

If those beads are taken apart as a set and used in various pieces of
jewelry, there is still very little chance of the person making her
money back (much less a profit). After all, are there a bunch of
Corina bead fanatics out there who want a piece of jewelry with just
one bead and are willing to pay for it? If so, are they all so
computer impaired that they couldn't bid on eBay themselves and get a
whole strand?

Another consideration is that beads aren't signed - they could be
"Kathleena Beads" just as easily as "Corina Beads." Once this
auction is over and forgotten, unless the person contacts Corina
herself (and Corina remembers that particular set of beads - which I
think she will), there's no way to authenicate the set - much less an
individual bead.

Corina herself was shocked and bemused when she wrote about the
auction on her own web page. I suspect that she thinks the ending
price was insane as well, but certainly won't say so.

Kathy N-V

Old September 2nd 04, 06:39 AM
Kalera Stratton

Some of my beads are art to me. Some of my sets are art to me, though
the individual beads may not be. All of my beads are just small pieces
of glass.

As far as I can discern, whether any of my beads are art depends on
whether my customers perceive them as art. Trying to quantitatively
define art is nearly impossible and debates have raged for millenia over
that definition. Try to define soul in a way that everyone agrees on,
and then maybe we'll have a basis for defining art.

Oh! And then we can tackle defining poetry!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

starlia wrote:
No flame from me but I consider my beads and beads of others as small pieces
of art.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

"Karen_AZ" wrote in message

]there's no way to authenicate the set - much less an
]individual bead.

some of our offerings are going to have certificates of
authentication. they'll be numbered to match.

Okay, I need a reality check here. I have a feeling I'm going to get

flamed

for this but as a beadmaker I still have to say, come on,
people.....authentication for lumps of glass???? That's just silly. This
isn't fine art, it's just beads.

KarenK

Old September 2nd 04, 06:53 AM
Kalera Stratton

I think it's a lot of fun! I am a reaction ho, so it's been fun for me
to try to spot ones that I don't already know about. I almost forgot
about it until Margie posted the link earlier... whew, got mine sent in
the nick of time!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Barbara Forbes-Lyons wrote:
Back to the matter at hand - what do you think of the current challenge!
Several RCBers have entries there.

Latest challenge - lots of eye candy: http://snipurl.com/8rfz

Old September 2nd 04, 06:57 AM
Kalera Stratton

I thought that as well, but she has an excellent point... the frit
challenge was earlier this year, and adding frits and metals practically
guarantees that there will be very few "regular colors" reactions
submitted.

If you think of the Challenges as information-gleaning missions, it
makes a lot more sense. At the end of this month, we will all know a LOT
more about glass reactions.

And if you want to know more about frit reactions, check out the Frit
Challenge page... there is a certain mention (not me) of a certain frit,
way back when, that is all of a sudden HOT RATS under a very different
name.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

starlia wrote:
I think it's pretty limiting not allowing frit to be involved. I pull frit
into stringer and then get very neat reactions.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old September 2nd 04, 08:09 AM
Su/Cutworks

Kandice wrote:

Why are we judging this person? Can't we just be happy for them and for
Corina? It's all a matter of perspective.

Exactly!

I think it's wonderful, and I hope the great fortune spills over onto other
lampwork artists!

-Su

Old September 2nd 04, 08:29 AM
Kandice Seeber

LOL - well, I'll play semantics and settle for a better word - amazing?
That can be positive of negative.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Aw gee, I thought it was insane. But then I do think artists should get

higher
prices for their work. So, okay....I take it back.

I have to say that I agree with this. While $1000 is really unusual,

it's
an insult to call the high bidder of this auction insane. I am sure that
person has a very good reason for wanthing those beads that badly, and
remember that he/she was not the only one. There has to have been

another
bidder helping the price get that high. Like I said - maybe that person

won
the lottery and had her heart set on those beads at any cost.

~~
Sooz

Old September 2nd 04, 08:33 AM
Kandice Seeber

Oh, yeah! After all, that's just ink on paper, but the value is intrinsic
(is that the right word?) and subjective.
Same with paintings - a painting may take only a few minutes up to a few
days to do, and it's only paint on canvas, but the value depends on so many
things that it's hard to quantify.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs