OT - How DH's surgery went

Old June 17th 04, 06:52 AM
Jalynne

Default OT - How DH's surgery went

I'm so tired, so will keep things short, and will give you details tomorrow. Surgery
itself went well, with only one very very minor snag. He had a hard time waking up
and dealing with the anesthesia, however, and couldn't keep any food or liquid down,
so he was admitted overnight for observation. He'll be fine, but we wanted to make
sure he didn't get dehydrated. I have to get up REALLY early in the morning to pick
him up, because a huge dignitary is visiting the hospital tomorrow, and parking will
be at a premium...nearly non existent after 7 am. SOooooooo.....I'll give you more
details tomorrow. Keep up those prayers and thoughts, though, that he is able to
sleep tonight, and able to keep from vomiting anymore. G'Night.

--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old June 17th 04, 03:01 PM
starlia

Yuck. I'm sorry he has that reaction. I have the same one and it really
bites. I hope all goes well.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

news

Old June 17th 04, 03:11 PM
Jan G

Glad everything so far has gone well, except for that reaction. They told
me when I had the last surgery with general that it is so much better now
and I wouldn't get sick at all. WRONG! And it was abdominal surgery and
barfing hurt like hell. Fortunately I can get spinals or blocks for my
ortho stuff!
Make sure he taks a pain pill as soon as it even starts to burn or anything
if enough tims has passed so the pain doesn't get a hold. Do you have any
gel packs for cold? They are so good!
Keep us posted!
JanG
"starlia" wrote in message
Yuck. I'm sorry he has that reaction. I have the same one and it really
bites. I hope all goes well.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

news

Old June 17th 04, 05:05 PM
Dr. Sooz

He had a hard time waking up
and dealing with the anesthesia, however, and couldn't keep any food or
liquid down

This sounds very normal to me, so don't you worry.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old June 17th 04, 05:07 PM
Jalynne

He's home now, resting in bed. The percoset doesn't agree with him either...so we're
forcing liquids. If he keeps vomiting, though, I'll have to take him back. He was
fine all night....until we got home...hopefully it's just carsickness, and nothing
else, but i just have to keep him hydrated. I just hate nagging him, but it's better
than a trip to the ER.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

ink.net...
"starlia" wrote in message
Yuck. I'm sorry he has that reaction. I have the same one and it really
bites. I hope all goes well.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

news

Old June 17th 04, 05:47 PM
Jalynne

hehe, I know Kathy. I know all these things all too well. BTDT more times than I
can count. He'll likely be ok now that he's home and not in the car. Every time he
threw up, it was because he got up too fast, was being pushed in a wheelchair (the
elevator will do a healthy person in!!) or after riding in the car. He seems to be
doing fine just lying in bed now...which is what they ordered him to do. I'd get
different meds....but i can't even get near the hospital now until Saturday. We have
someone coming to visit (it's all over the news, but I still hesitate to say.), a big
dignitary, and there is absolutely NO parking, other than the ER, which is the other
side of the hospital from the pharmacy, and I'd have them order it at an outside
pharmacy....but there's no extra $ for copay. I'm kinda stuck. He'll be ok, I'm
sure. He just has to stop being so stubborn, and stay in bed and rest until he's
feeling better. I keep telling him that anesthesia can do weird things to the
body...maybe he'll listen now. I'm honestly not worried about him in general, with
the exception of hydration, but i'll make sure he drinks...even if i have to pour it
down his stubborn throat...hehe.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:07:37 -0400, Jalynne wrote
(in message . net):

He's home now, resting in bed. The percoset doesn't agree with him
either...so we're
forcing liquids. If he keeps vomiting, though, I'll have to take him back.
He was
fine all night....until we got home...hopefully it's just carsickness, and
nothing
else, but i just have to keep him hydrated. I just hate nagging him, but
it's better
than a trip to the ER.

Have you tried popsicles? Because you can eat them slowly (in theory), they
are less likely to upset his stomach. Also call the doc and get him another
pain medication prescribed ASAP. Percoset is murder on a lot of people's
stomachs. I have several recommnedations but I don't want to sound like
"Kathy the Drug Pusher."

If the popsicles taste too sweet and gooey for him, ice chips work. Ice
chips spooned out of a cup with a little gatoraide isn't very strong tasting,
prevents dehydration and electrolyte loss and calms the stomach.

As long as he can still urinate regularly, you don't have to worry too much
about dehydration. Just keep an eye out for that oogy skin that comes with
dehydration (my arms are the first thing to get that way)

I know way too much about this stuff. bleh.

Kathy N-V

Old June 17th 04, 11:28 PM
Christina Peterson

I was told the pain killers used post surgery specifically are helpful for
the nausea from anesthetic.

Tina

news

Old June 18th 04, 02:44 AM
Jalynne

Well, it turns out that it's mostly motion causing the problems, so the anesthesia
temporarily did something to his equilibrium....but that's temporary. He seems to be
doing just fine now. Thanks everyone for your prayers and thoughts!!
--

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
I was told the pain killers used post surgery specifically are helpful for
the nausea from anesthetic.

Tina

news

Old June 18th 04, 02:59 AM
Beadbimbo

Jalynne,

Sending healing vibes to hubby! Hope he's feeling better!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

news