OT help needed with fixing kids coat

Old December 27th 09, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

Default OT help needed with fixing kids coat

Friend bought 3 expensive coats and the kids can't get their arms
through the holes. I will have to cut off the cuff plus the same into
the arm. But what do you suggest to use to fix. I was thinking just use
knit, as in cuff stuff and it will be twice as long as a regular cuff.
Just wondering if anyone has better ideas. I will never find the same
color or material. Black cuffs will match the rest of the coat.
Thanx Again
Joanna
Old December 28th 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Need details, please. Do you mean that they can not get their arms into the
armholes? or the cuffs? Polly

"Joanna" wrote Friend bought 3 expensive coats and the kids can't get

Old December 28th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

Sorry it's the cuffs. They can get their arms into the arm holes, just
can't get them all the way through if that makes sense.
Joanna

Old December 28th 09, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Only a wild idea for you Joanna. Before wonderful notions were available, I
needed to replace cuffs on DH and DS's favorite jackets. Finally I realized
that the tops of nice heavy socks would do just fine. (Acrylic, wool,
nylon - lots of great color choices - and lots of lengths in the ladies,
men's and children's departments.) Took some serious thinking to keep them
from raveling when I cut the feet of the socks off but doable. Polly

"Joanna" Sorry it's the cuffs. They can get their arms into the arm

Old December 28th 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I'd return them to the store and get something that fits! Especially
if they were expensive.
Roberta in D

Old December 29th 09, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

Can't return them. The store burned down. And they are a very popular
name brand and usually very very expensive. No way would this family be
able to afford these on their own. So I need to fix.
Thanx
Joanna

Old December 29th 09, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

In that case...

Yeah, you can buy cuff stuff, or even premade cuffs to sew on.

You can use cuffs off other things. I always have an abundance of the
cuffs from the bottom of leggings because I have to whack them off and
hem the leggings. One of the perils of being short.
However for coat cuffs I would buy new, or if I had to whack cuffs off
something else to use I would study on mittens and gloves.

Make sure you need to replace the cuffs. Is it that the cuffs
themselves are too narrow, or is it that the seam that attaches them
to the sleeve is too tight?

NightMist
relining yet another coat for somebody

--

Legolas is my house elf
Old December 29th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

An excellent question, NM. It just could be that the seam that attaches the
cuffs is stitched so tightly that there isn't any stretch. Joanna might be
able to redo that seam. Wouldn't that be lovely? Polly

Old December 30th 09, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lee[_2_]

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:54:41 -0500, Polly Esther wrote
(in article ):

An excellent question, NM. It just could be that the seam that attaches the
cuffs is stitched so tightly that there isn't any stretch. Joanna might be
able to redo that seam. Wouldn't that be lovely? Polly

"NightMist" In that case...

Yeah, you can buy cuff stuff, or even premade cuffs to sew on.

You can use cuffs off other things. I always have an abundance of the
cuffs from the bottom of leggings because I have to whack them off and
hem the leggings. One of the perils of being short.
However for coat cuffs I would buy new, or if I had to whack cuffs off
something else to use I would study on mittens and gloves.

Make sure you need to replace the cuffs. Is it that the cuffs
themselves are too narrow, or is it that the seam that attaches them
to the sleeve is too tight?

NightMist
relining yet another coat for somebody

I bought a coat once that had the lining of the sleeve twisted completely
around and that sealed the sleeve. I cut the threads at the shoulder/sleeve
lining seam, untwisted the sleeve lining and resewed the sleeve lining to the
shoulder lining.

This is hard to explain and improbable that it happened to three coats but
who knows?

Good luck with those coats.

Lee

rarebirdyatverizondotnet

Park Ridge, NJ

Fixing a Cocktail Dress Pat in Virginia Quilting 0 December 17th 09 02:24 AM
OT - Kids Homework Help needed Sharon Harper Quilting 6 May 10th 06 11:44 AM
Fixing lace problems Wooly Yarn 10 April 16th 05 10:25 PM
fixing textiles colors Katharina Quilting 6 February 20th 05 02:08 AM
Fabric for Challenged Kids needed zo Quilting 3 September 23rd 03 03:50 AM