Am I missing something in this auction?

Old December 9th 04, 10:26 AM
Su/Cutworks

Kandice wrote:

I just get so irritated when the beadmaking community calls out auctions
which get high prices and questions the integrity of the people involved.
They're doing it over on WC, too, and it's getting old.

Be happy for the beadmaker and move on.

OMTP.

If lampworkers want to make money then they should expect everyone in the
community to have the same ability. I have given up on WC simply because of
the squabbling and sniping about who sells what for how much.

I'm thrilled for the person buying those hearts if they're able to sell them
on. I'm thrilled for the person selling them if they have someone in love
with their work.

And I'm hoping that we'll have that same good fortune some day!

-Su

Old December 9th 04, 10:26 AM
Su/Cutworks

Barbara wrote:

I usually am happy for the beadmaker, but it seems odd that a beadmaker
whose average selling price seems to be in the less than $100 range, and
most often, less than $50 that there are just one or two that soar so

high.
the hearts are nice - I have a couple pendants like those that I love to
wear, but I wouldn't pay $400 for it.

There was a discussion on WC a while ago about a person who bid $300 on a
set of beads from a couple who consistently produce bead sets that are
similar, lovely and sell regularly for between $30 and $60 a set. It's just
eBay, really. People bid and pay what they feel they should, and speaking
from (painful) personal experience what they pay isn't always what they
should or what they can afford! There's always an element of bidding fever
there sometimes.

-Su

--
Tillerman eBay shop: http://stores.ebay.com/thetillermanbeads
Tillerman website: http://www.tillerman.co.uk

Old December 9th 04, 10:47 AM
E J Ralph

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:26:03 +0000 (UTC), "Su/Cutworks"
wrote:

OMTP.

If lampworkers want to make money then they should expect everyone in the
community to have the same ability. I have given up on WC simply because of
the squabbling and sniping about who sells what for how much.

I'm thrilled for the person buying those hearts if they're able to sell them
on. I'm thrilled for the person selling them if they have someone in love
with their work.

And I'm hoping that we'll have that same good fortune some day!

-Su

Amen!

If beads sell well, its a good thing for anyone in the industry. It's
thrilling to see and gives us all something to aspire to also!

Emma

www.ejrbeads.co.uk
Old December 9th 04, 11:56 AM
Cheryl

I'd almost think this person was obsessed with
Eeyore. A TONGUE RING???? Of EEYORE??? Are you NUTS????

LOL
I saw that too...
ewwwwwwwwwww
Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old December 9th 04, 12:52 PM
Peggy

It's also possible that the person who is purchasing the bead might be a
friend or relative of the lampwork artist.

Twice I've knowingly bid *way* too much when a friend who was much in need
of cash sold some handmade items (curtains and a rosary). It was stuff I
wanted anyway, and I figured she could use the extra money even though she'd
already declined my offer of help. She was a little embarrassed when she
figured out what I'd done but was also very thankful and did accept my
payment. Treating the situation as a business transaction made it easier
for her to receive monetary help and for me to give it.

Maybe this buyer just bid high to help a friend and struggling artist.

Old December 9th 04, 01:44 PM
Kandice Seeber

Lori's are really gorgeous - wow!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Lori Robbins does similar excellent hearts that she starts at $20.
Or $38 for first dibs on her web site.
http://www.lorirobbins.com/PendantsBeads.htm

Maybe the high bids are a sort of a way to send money to Israel?

Tina

"Barbara Forbes-Lyons" wrote in
message
$400?

Huh?

http://snipurl.com/b82l

--
Barbara

Old December 9th 04, 04:28 PM
Stephanie

Maybe the high bids are a sort of a way to send money to Israel?
Tina

I was thinking along this line too, Tina. It's a way to send someone
something... It's not the 300 dollars for a bead that I don't believe, it's
that the same bead is getting bet on so furiously.

But then you never know...If I had the money to outbid others to get the bead
or set that I wanted I'd do it! Who cares that it is alot of money...If I had
the money and I wanted it, I'd get it! So there, LOL!

..Stephanie.

Gotta Question?
Google: rec.craft.bead
http://tinyurl.com/5wm36

Old December 9th 04, 04:35 PM
Tinkster

I do think it's very pretty, but I'd never pay that for it. Everything
is relative though: I see what some folks pay for art and it blows my
mind, especially when it's something that doesn't appeal to me at all.

Also, $300 or $400 is a drop in the bucket to some folks. Shoot, I'm
sure there are a LOT of people that can't imagine anyone spending $10
on one bead, much less what some of them go for. Perspective.

Some of my little 2" teddy bears sold for over $2000 on the secondary
market. All it took was one buyer with the cash and the desire. LOL!

I agree with Stephanie: If I had lots of money and I wanted it, I
would get it.

On 09 Dec 2004 16:28:27 GMT, onality (Stephanie)
wrote:

But then you never know...If I had the money to outbid others to get the bead
or set that I wanted I'd do it! Who cares that it is alot of money...If I had
the money and I wanted it, I'd get it! So there, LOL!

Tink
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
Old December 10th 04, 12:22 AM
Kalera Stratton

Wow. I guess several people see something very special in that heart...
it talks to them. I looked at this person's completed listings and they
seem to have quite a following!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Barbara Forbes-Lyons wrote:
$400?

Huh?

http://snipurl.com/b82l

Old December 10th 04, 12:24 AM
Kalera Stratton

Oh, WC. There's always a contingent there either accusing someone of
copying or accusing someone of shill bidding. If you look at this
seller's completed auctions you can see that a lot of his/her hearts go
for over $100... so if this one got bid high, there's not particular
mystery.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

JavaGirlBT wrote:
Some people on WC are thinking it's a case of shill bidding.
-Ellen