Photographing your beads

Old July 1st 04, 07:20 AM
Craftology

I was shocked to read the tone of these posts. First of all, nobody is
obligated to answer an email. Use your delete button if you don't like the
questions or send the person a link to a photography site....they'll probably
be very appreciative.
I could understand if you did not want to disclose exactly how you create a
bead, but I have no understanding about why some of you think disclosing
photography tips is a bad idea.
Some day, those of you who don't want to be bothered with answering questions
about photography just might need to ask for someone else's help.
Some people are not as computer saavy as others and might not know how to go
about researching photography on the net. Don't forget....you just never know
who might be sending that email....it could be a customer or maybe it's someone
in a position to make you very famous. Kindness is in short supply these days.
That makes me very sad.
By the way......I recently got an HP Photosmart 935. 5.3 megapix with optical
zoom and macro feature. I'm surely no expert but I'm getting great photos of
my jewelry with this camera and an Ott Lite. Pics are good enough for Bead &
Button to publish, so that's pretty damn good. Anyone who wants to email me
about how I'm taking my pics is more than welcome to. It's not rocket
science....my sig other did some camera research, and I did some net searching
on taking pics of jewelry. Then I tried using just my Ott Lite instead of a
bunch of fancy photo boxes and lighting. I got lucky, it worked.

Caren

Old July 1st 04, 02:03 PM
JavaGirlBT

I photograph my beads on my porch in daylight but I also have my portable
ott light on. It works pretty good.
-Ellen

Old July 1st 04, 02:25 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

In addition to the 2 wonderful pages that Kathy posted, here are my two
favorites:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/10237/214/

And this one will require Acrobat reader:

http://www.stayfocusedphotoclub.com/...hotography.pdf

Old July 1st 04, 03:55 PM
Kandice Seeber

Kindness? Do you even *know* how many emails/posts I have answered offering
help? It's not that I want to keep things secret. It's that I *don't have
the time* or energy to help every single person. And yes, these people are
my competitors. Usually, that doesn't bother me a single bit. On occasion,
it gets tiresome, because I worked long and hard to be able to take decent
pictures, and some people want a quick fix. I've written tutorials,
answered emails, posted tips etc. etc. It's not about disclosure - it's
about people doing their own research for once, so that I can have the time
to make and sell my own beads.
I apologize for sounding irritated, but you have no idea how many people I
have helped in the past, so you shouldn't make such broad judgements.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old July 1st 04, 06:03 PM
Dr. Sooz

Yes it's fine, as in posting to the group in addition to your own
research. ~~~snipped~~~~

But it's another thing altogether to send private email to what is
essentially a competitor, and asking them how they do it. If they
don't answer a public post, so be it - their choice. If they don't
answer your email, then they seem rude. It's a no win situation.

EXACTLY. Exactly, exactly, exactly, EXACTLY.

People here have a choice to answer or not. Putting someone else -- someone
who is your competitor -- on the spot like that is just plain OBVIOUSLY over
the line.
~~
Sooz
Old July 1st 04, 06:04 PM
Dr. Sooz

I find the photography tips of those here very useful. I always
thought that if I were going to buy a camera again I would definately
come here for advice first.

And that would be fine.

FINE. Just fine. Perfectly fine.

Marisa, dear, you didn't read my post. It had nothing to do with posting a
photography question. It had to do with emailing a competitor.
~~
Sooz
Old July 1st 04, 06:06 PM
Dr. Sooz

And of course, asking on a forum like this one is totally different from
asking via email. In a forum, people choose whether or not to respond, and
you have a good chance of getting some varied and good information,
especially if you show that you are researching as well. In email, if you
don't respond, you appear rude. If you do, you're roped into giving some
kind of assistance.

Yes yes yes yes YES.
~~
Sooz
Old July 1st 04, 06:12 PM
Dr. Sooz

BTW -- Even Miss Manners thinks this sort of question -- asking a competitor to
do your work for you, to help make you more of a threat to their business -- is
a terrible idea, and is not done by polite people.

I could understand if you did not want to disclose exactly how you create a
bead, but I have no understanding about why some of you think disclosing
photography tips is a bad idea.

I was very clear. Read the post again if you cannot understand it the first
time.

However, I don't think you have trouble with that. I think you're ****ed off
at my attitude.

Some day, those of you who don't want to be bothered with answering questions
about photography just might need to ask for someone else's help.

You're TOTALLY missing the point.

Some people are not as computer saavy as others and might not know how to go
about researching photography on the net.

So their competitor in business should hand-hold them and show them how? Why?
Please explain.

you just never know
who might be sending that email....it could be a customer or maybe it's
someone
in a position to make you very famous.

Yes you do -- they signed it! Good grief.

Kindness is in short supply these days.
That makes me very sad.

I'm not saying be unkind. READ THE ORIGINAL POST AGAIN. I'm saying...oh,
never mind. You want to believe what you want to believe. You deliberately
focused on what I didn't say.
~~
Sooz
Old July 1st 04, 06:14 PM
Dr. Sooz

Anyone who wants to email me
about how I'm taking my pics is more than welcome to.

You're willing to send that out to all your business competitors, at the rate
of three a week, for two years?

That's what I'm talking about. Wait, think about it for a minute. Week after
week, email after email. Some people don't ask nicely. Think....two years.
You're insanely busy, working 12 hours a day. You fall into bed at night,
exhausted and sore. You have time to answer all those eamils with tips and
tricks to help your BUSINESS competitors get better?

Then answer.
~~
Sooz
Old July 1st 04, 06:16 PM
Dr. Sooz

I apologize for sounding irritated, but you have no idea how many people I
have helped in the past, so you shouldn't make such broad judgements.

Caren, your post was a knee-jerk reaction. Please do not judge until you've
done this yourself -- answered all the emails with help for a long time. Had
customers ask for things over and over, so they can go to eBay and get sales
that might've gone to YOU. Have people essentially taking a class from you (on
how to photograph), and never paying you. For many, many months, over and
over.
~~
Sooz