Introductions! OT

Old April 13th 04, 05:41 PM
Dr. Sooz

Default Introductions! OT

"Beth"

May I present myself... My name is Beth.

I am almost 51, the mother of two grown daughters and the mother of
choice to another... all three are married, and only the ptd has a child,
Ben, who is almost 6.

I live with my radio station owner/manager husband and six housecats (furry
children) in Madras,Oregon. Madras is just north of the center of the
state... High desert country... no cactus, just Sagebrush and Junipers. Hot
hot summers (last summer's high was 113!) and cold cold winters..( this past
October we were minus 5, and in January got almost two feet of snow on the
ground.)

I love to garden... and in this new climate (we only moved here in July of
'03) I get to learn about a whole set of new plants to work with... I
stamp, scrapbook, sew, tole paint, and bead. I 've been beading off and on
since I was about 9, when I got a loom and started with that. I have yet to
learn many of the stitches you all talk about a lot, but I will. I do brick
stitch fairly well, and am working on peyote. My dad was a jeweler of
sorts, slabbing rock and then making cabs, which he set into mountings...
and I learned a lot at his knee. He also did some silversmithing and was a
faceter in his later years. Mostly, I'm not afraid to try anything.

Health wise, I am plagued with chronic depression, CFS (mild, thank God),
asthma, DJD... and try my dead level best to just keep truckin'!

I consider myself a beginner, almost to the intermediate stage.

Oh, and HI! right back atcha! I really enjoy this group. Madras is tiny,
with our only beadshops (2)...well, one is in a "trading post" since we are
only about 30 miles from the Warm Springs Reservation... and the other is
.... high end and not very friendly. So, I need you all!..

beth
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old April 13th 04, 06:39 PM
Alison

Here's mine, posted recently:

My name is Alison, I'm 35 (March 2004), am married (6 years in
March 2004), have no children, two cats, and work in educational
research. Rubber stamping is my crafting passion.

I don't do beadwork. I love beads, though -- I must be a magpie at heart.
I love them, but I don't wear jewelry. I tried making jewelry, and wasn't
too bad at it, but generally had no interest in wearing it and no interest
in marketing it - especially given what I learned about the market from
reading here! So, I sold the entirety of my beading supplies to my aunt,
and stick around here because I can't help myself. I'm crazy about Kandice
and Sooz and Kathy N-V, as well as many many others who frequent this
wonderful "place"; and the eye-candy is spectacular. I love looking at all
the things for sale or for show and tell.

The fan pulls in my kitchen were custom-made by Kandice (and get comments
left and right from visitors to my home!), and I own a Tink bead
purely for looking at, holding, and generally adoring. So, I'm not a beader
in the sense of most everyone else here, but I do love beads and therefore
intend to stay as long as you'll have me.

Most kind regards,
Alison

Old April 13th 04, 08:52 PM
Marisa Exter

Since my life is changing a lot right now this will be longer then usual...

I am Marisa2 (having for the first life found another Marisa who spells her name
the same way I do here in RCB... very happy to share a name with someone so
"exotic"!)

I am 26 and live with my husband in IL, USA. Up till two weeks ago our third
family member was a peurtie beurdie...Mucha the budgie. he just passed
away. Until then DH hosted Muchacam, a live webcam featuring Mucha's day-time
activities, as well as other pictures and movies on Mucha's own webpage. I have
a feeling we will have another pal/baby at home soonish but we are giving
ourselves some time now.

I am a computer scientist but am planning to go back to school in the fall for a
PhD in Instructional Systems Technologies (an Education related field). We are
moving to a university town and are very excited about our new life.
Unfortunately that means we will be moving to Indiana which is 5 hours away from
my family.
We do not have human kids yet but are planning to over the next few years
(ahhh!!! A pregnant PhD student...does that sound fun or what?)

Most of my friends are online and I met my husband online. Therefore I really
like the OT posts here... this is my social gathering place. I don't know many
people here very well but I would really like to.

Bead-wise, I guess you would say what I do is mostly bead-stringing. I do do
some work with multiple strands but I do it all with separators, crimping, etc.
My work has a "nature" theme to it; I try to use natural elements and natural
colors as much as possible. Of course my work has grown over time.
I have only been beading for a couple of years but I think my work has been
improving and I have sold a little at craft fairs and at a little local gallery
with a nature theme. I also have a website where I "sell" my work (though none
has ever sold from the website yet): http://www.tevayafae.com .

Margie is going to teach me RAW soon! So that will be something new for me. My
other new project is making watches with beaded bands.

My favorite beads are Bali Silver and semi-precious stones, though I use a lot
of sead beads in my work. I like very small, fine work.

I do not wear jewelry myself, except when I am stress-testing my own work (which
is pretty frequently now!)

marisa2
Old April 13th 04, 11:35 PM
Kaytee

In article , Marisa Exter
writes:

We do not have human kids yet but are planning to over the next few years
(ahhh!!! A pregnant PhD student...does that sound fun or what?)

My girlfriend did it.... Did the PhD in 3 years, too.... Of course, she's
obsessive/compulsive....
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old April 13th 04, 11:35 PM
Kaytee

Kaytee, nee Kathleen Victoria
DOB: 5 NOV 52 = Scorpio, water dragon
Navy vet: hospital corpsman 1977-83 (active duty), USNR 1983-1985
MS, MT(ASCP)SBB (except, I've let my licence and certification lapse)
Married, two sons-- 18 and 16. #1 son is an "artist", #2 son is a "geek", and
now, a GSH.
Hubby is a pathologist, at Kaiser in Hayward; we live in San Diego.... I work
part time at a bead/gift store, and do volunteer teaching at the Japanese
Garden in Balboa Park (soon also to be a part time "real job").
Four dogs: #1 son's dog-- Ginger, a "nasty little bitch", almost 10 years old,
terrier mix, and our watchdog. #2 son's dog-- Oreo, still a playful puppy at 2
1/2 years, 70 #s worth of Border collie/lab mix. #3-- my furry brother Bob, 15
1/2 year old, grouchy, retired cattle dog (pure Border collie). #4-- my furry
brother Bud, almost 15, deaf, slow moving sweetie... 98 # Heinze-57 Roadblock.
Fish-- 1 Beta (Azure), several goldfish (outside...). Lots of plants, which
have been sadly neglected the past several months, and look it.
Currently trying to deal with a 40 acre ranch that is about 300 miles away from
home (in San Luis Obispo County)-- Becki is living in the house (when she's not
out galavanting around in Utah), and various people are helping clean up the
rest of it.

Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old April 14th 04, 12:35 AM
Helen C

Well, I think I'll unlurk for this one.

Hello, my name is Helen C. Live in the armpit of Oregon (yes, another
oregonian/west coaster) I even remember Beth from when she was moving!
Been reading this NG for a couple of years. Don't post much. Not much of a
"me-too poster" And not really into lampwork (don't have much of a use for
it "yet"! LOL) Extremely limited bead fundage so ignore most of the ads.
And DH keeps having major computer issues so I have to keep re-downloading
the group. BUT, (!) have another computer for this now, so when his goes
down, it shouldn't matter anymore (and he can't blame it on me!)

I mainly work with seed beads. Mostly peyote stitch lighter cases, brick
stich earrings, some earrings with headpins, peyote keychains & pen covers,
a few necklaces and just about everything else that catches my fancy. Been
the recipient of a few BFNR (thanks again to the ones who sent them, you
know who you are and I'm eternally grateful) Try to keep track of what's
going on with who (hugs to all that need them)

Now, onto my home life (!) Been married to DH since 1996 and have way too
many kids (lol) with another one due any day (the sooner the better) DD -
1997, DS (problem child - ADHD) 1998, DD - 1999, DS - 2001, DD - 2003 &
??? - soon. DH has a non epileptic seizure disorder that makes my life
extremely hectic and interesting. Along with scoliosis, chronic pain,
insomnia (which make the seizures worse) and a few other things. Working on
getting him on SSI or whichever one he qualifies for. Fortunately I'm
phsically healthy (not gonna comment on my mental state) so it's all good.
Get tired of being head cook and bottle washer but one good thing I can say
about DH is he brings in people to help me. Usually strays but I warn them
there's 3 basic rules and I'm not joking.
1. Attitude is encouraged
2. Speak up or suffer in silence (in other words, you know where the door
is)
3. You will be used! (my personal favorite because I just LOVE delegating
jobs, HATE doing dishes, shouldn't be doing any heavy lifting right now,
have 5 house unkeepers to my one doing the keeping, get up early with the
kids for school, stay up late to keep an eye on DH {he walked 5 miles in a
seizure a couple of weeks ago while I was sleeping}[scary!] & I need to
sleep sometime.

Don't have much time for beading (gee, I wonder why?) but I get as much in
as possible since it's cheaper than therapy and I actually get something
from it. I really enjoy the NG. Have a tendancy to write way too much
(probably related to being home much of the time) so I try not to post too
frequently. Have felt ignored but try not to take it personally (but
everyone has "one of those days") Have to remember that even though I
"know" everyone on here from my daily reading, you all don't know me that
well. Best example I can come up with is a waitress in a restaraunt. She's
(or he) "your" waitress BUT you're ONE of x amount of customers.

Sorry for the book.

Happy beading to EVERYONE!,

Helen C

Old April 14th 04, 12:54 AM
Georgia

I de-lurked last week. I guess I should finish introducing myself. I'll be
60 at the end of the week. Took early retirement a few years ago when the
frustrating aspects of my profession began to grossly exceed the rewarding
parts. Now I do whatever the heck I want, which seems to be making jewelry,
performing in community theater, and taking classes at the university and
the community college.
My three daughters are an international business MBA, an attorney, and a
vocal performer. Son is a writer for Comedy Central. Three grandchildren: 4,
5, and 10.

Georgia
http://bead-designs.com/html/newfromstudio.htm

Old April 14th 04, 02:26 AM
Dr. Sooz

I de-lurked last week. I guess I should finish introducing myself.

If there's more than you wrote in this post, I'll need it too. You can email
it to me:
divaocean AT aoHell DOT com
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old April 14th 04, 02:44 AM
Beadbimbo

Nice to get to know you, Beth!

I don't have a lot of people here straight, so it's nice to read the intros
now and then and refresh my memory.

I'm Jerri from Georgia. I grew up military, so I'm not really from
anywhere. Married 20 years this June (Wow, how did that happen so fast?).
I have a 10 yr. old daughter. I had three dogs, but lost one recently, so
am now down to two, and now my oldest is having problems. Thank goodness
the other one is only three! I also have Butterbean, the famous guinea pig,
and a 20 year old cockatiel.

I used to be a transplant RN, but have stayed home for the past several
years doing full time mom stuff and part time bead stuff. Hubby works for
UPS, so we work things around his crazy and long hours. I've been a
lampworker for about 6 years.

One of my favorite places is the William Holland school in N. Ga. and I'll
be going there to take my 4th wire class this summer. One day, I want to
take seed beading there too! I don't do seed beads, except in small doses,
and I love seed bead work, so I'm just going to have to learn some of those
stitches one day.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com