I want to learn this craft.... baby needs a book(s) / pointers ???

Old September 16th 04, 02:02 AM
Roger

Default I want to learn this craft.... baby needs a book(s) / pointers ???

This is something I've always wanted to do,
and now I'm going to get serious.
Money's no object......

I need tips on tools,
(presumably) a forge (?) .... I want to cast rings/bracelets
books,
EVERYTHING!

I'm going to practice on cheap materials, but eventually,
I want to make high quality, beautiful pieces.

Any/all info greatly appreciated.
What mistakes did YOU make that I can avoid?

TIA! Roger

Old September 16th 04, 07:21 AM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

go to a school. Whether it's New Approach, Wildacres, William Holland,
Revere, a local college, a class at a Gem&Mineral club, - go to school.
If you just won't do that, search teh web and your local library, Gem
& Mineral club libraries and shows, the Classifieds in Lapidary Journal
magazine, etc. for videos, books, tutorials and procedures on lost wax
casting and silversmithing/fabrication. try to find a local custom
jeweler that would let you watch the process, maybe even design a piece
for him to make and ask to observe - even if he charges you xtra for it
- well worth the experience. You may decide you enjoy the wax modeling
part enough to just allow others to cast your pieces for you. At my
club, anyone can come on Thursday nights and observe the casting class.
After you join, you can jump right in and start class if you want. Or
sign up for the next silversmithing 101 class. maybe you have a club
near you? look around here; http://www.amfed.org/

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old September 16th 04, 07:21 AM
Scott Swinehart

Hi Roger, welcome to the forum, I have been lurking here for a while and
this is my first post. I am also just getting a start in this field. I just
wanted to let you know that you are jumping in with both feet into a vast
pool of information, the members of this group represent a wealth of
knowledge. That said I would suggest you start by going back and reading
past threads, especially those started by Jack Schmidling (sorry if I
misspelled that Jack), you will see why I suggest this if you read them. If
you have specific questions about specific techniques, research them to the
best of your ability and then post those questions, someone (most likely
Peter) will be happy to answer a polite, and well thought out question. Be
prepared to be flamed some, some see a post like yours as a request for the
universe of the jeweler's art to be handed to you on a platter. I mean no
dis-respect just wanted to inform you. As for your question on books,
http://www.ganoksin.com has assembled a formidable archive of information
and a bibliography of Jewelry books, the URL is
http://www.ganoksin.com/jewelry-books/ this is where I would start, I have
many of these books and they are good reference. good luck and once again
welcome,
-Joshua Swinehart

Old September 17th 04, 02:34 AM
William Black

"Roger" wrote in message

Any/all info greatly appreciated.
What mistakes did YOU make that I can avoid?

Go to a good school, it costs and you may have to travel and the tool bill
will be shocking (well I thought so anyway) but it's worth it.

--
William Black

Old September 27th 04, 03:03 AM
Lamedeer

What kind of jewelry do you want to make? Going to school will not make you
a jeweler and is not required for everything.