This years Christmas Ornament

Old March 3rd 11, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default This years Christmas Ornament

On 3/3/11 8:02 AM, in article
, "Cathy
from KY in CA" wrote:

It's going to snow again today!sigh

All that snow is now wreaking havoc with flooding. Ohio has been
bad. Were you aware that Linda Roswell of
The Primitive Needle died in the flooding when her car was swept away?

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/norw...an-trapped-car

How sad!

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA

That is so sad - I heard about it yesterday on a different board. My prayers
are with her family

Cheryl

Old March 3rd 11, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 3/3/11 9:24 AM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 3/3/11 8:02 AM, in article
, "Cathy
from KY in CA" wrote:

It's going to snow again today!sigh

All that snow is now wreaking havoc with flooding. Ohio has been
bad. Were you aware that Linda Roswell of
The Primitive Needle died in the flooding when her car was swept away?

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/norw...an-trapped-car

How sad!

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA

That is so sad - I heard about it yesterday on a different board. My prayers
are with her family

Cheryl

It is really sad, for so many reasons. We actually saw a story about this
particular incident on some news program. Horrible. Thanks for the link.

Here, all the melting hasn't been so much a flooding issue, as trees being
affected. Our weeping pussy willow actually tipped over after the windstorm
and melting the other day. It's a "dwarf" - but about 4" caliper trunk,
over 6' tall, and heavy. I had to do some weird rope/winch it to the front
porch until DH got home. Then we were able to stake it, and rope it back to
one of the stone pillars at our porch. We've seen a fair amount of trees/
mud sliding. At least it's not California (with serious mud-slides).

Ellice

Old March 4th 11, 02:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

On 3/3/2011 1:28 PM, Ellice K. wrote:

Here, all the melting hasn't been so much a flooding issue, as trees being
affected. Our weeping pussy willow actually tipped over after the windstorm
and melting the other day. It's a "dwarf" - but about 4" caliper trunk,
over 6' tall, and heavy. I had to do some weird rope/winch it to the front
porch until DH got home. Then we were able to stake it, and rope it back to
one of the stone pillars at our porch. We've seen a fair amount of trees/
mud sliding. At least it's not California (with serious mud-slides).

Ellice

There are many fallen trees in Baltimore. Across the street, a HUGE
evergreen toppled, overturned with the whole root base, and fell right
between two houses. The houses are probably 20 feet apart, if that, and
the tree went right between them. Whew! Last week I drove past a corner
and two houses each had a *big* tree blown over. Wondered if a
mini-twister had hit, though I didn't hear about anything to that effect.

I wonder if last year's harsh winter and huge snowfalls weakened some of
the older trees and so this year's windy days are finally making them
succumb.

sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old March 4th 11, 02:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

On 3/3/2011 8:02 AM, Cathy from KY in CA wrote:

It's going to snow again today!sigh

All that snow is now wreaking havoc with flooding. Ohio has been
bad. Were you aware that Linda Roswell of
The Primitive Needle died in the flooding when her car was swept away?

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/norw...an-trapped-car

How sad!

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA

Awful news...how very sad.

sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old March 4th 11, 03:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 3/3/11 9:58 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:

[...]

So scary when trees come down. In the old house we had a pair of about 150
yr old maples, huge ones, in the back courtyard - and sometimes we really
wondered in wind. Our next door neighbors' huge poplar split apart during a
tornado microburst - and sent a 25-30' missile over the fence and in various
pieces to our yard. With a spear that split off embedding in the furthest
part of our stockade fence a good 220' from the tree. The major part -
landed in our courtyard - between the huge maples -destroying the patio
furniture and another took a turn and hit the brick wall at the front of the
pool (like a knight's move from where most hit) - knocking off some
lighting. Very strange things happen with those tornadic things.

It is scarey seeing these things - having grown up with hurricanes in
Florida, we saw a roof lifted off from a house across the street (tornado
skipping down the street), water spouts - worst while driving across a
causeway from mainland to the beach, and tree slamming down onto my parents
car - parked up between the houses during a hurricane. Then there was the
hurricane Andrew destruction - tree partway thru a wall, and the roof of the
2 story part of my DBs house being lifted away...

I wonder if last year's harsh winter and huge snowfalls weakened some of
the older trees and so this year's windy days are finally making them
succumb.

sue

I'd bow to our master gardeners, but from what we've learned, the older
trees especially are at risk with so much of the roots coming up close to
the surface. And some of the native trees around here do age out - DH knows
more - but I think a lot of these trees at about 40 years are really at risk
of not living healthily for much longer. Our tree was showing a little tiny
bit of lean from the prevailing wind, and even after dropping leaves, the
long branches still are kind of a wind block. With the high winds, and the
wet, wet ground - that was it. I'm just hopeful that it'll survive - hoping
to do yard stuff during the week. We did have to call our homeowners
insurance 'cause if it's actually dying, and has to be removed it was
pricey, and is covered. Hate seeing the trees suffering - oh, well.

Glad we're all essentially ok.

ellice