happy dance: Celtic Knot Quilt

Old July 16th 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
susan k

Default happy dance: Celtic Knot Quilt

On Jul 15, 9:48*pm, wrote:
ooh, very pretty. Aren't those the blocks from Philomena Durcan's
books?
Nice choice of the fabrics!

Yes, it's her first book. Here's one link to buy it...
http://www.scarlettrose.com/celtic_quilt_designs.html

I seldom repeat a quilt, but I've now made 2 queen size and 1 crib
quilt over the years from this book. Such a satisfying bunch of
blocks.

Susan k
Old July 16th 09, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Yep, I have both of her books and have done a few pieces based on her
designs. One was sold at a small quilt auction back in '96 or so, at
the Glendale [CA] quilt show. Eastern looking fabrics, in shades of
purple, contained in an 6-sided border. Called it "Everblooming Celtic
Lotus"

Ginger in CA
gotta do another Celtic piece, maybe something to match my Celtic
heart tattoo

Old July 16th 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
susan k

On Jul 16, 8:50*am, wrote:
Yep, I have both of her books and have done a few pieces based on her
designs. One was sold at a small quilt auction back in '96 or so, at
the Glendale [CA] quilt show. Eastern looking fabrics, in shades of
purple, contained in an 6-sided border. Called it "Everblooming Celtic
Lotus"

Ginger in CA

Do you have a pic online we can see?
Old July 16th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Idahoqltr

On Jul 15, 8:12�am, kratersge wrote:
I finally finished my celtic knot quilt. �The link is the overall
view, and the next two pictures in the album are a closeup of the
quilting and shot of part of the back.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...49789727wtauIj

So the bonkers thing I tried on *this* version of the pattern was to
miter the edge binding around each X in the garden maze sashing.
First time I've ever done an "inside" miter. �Not exactly great job,
but good enough to get by I think.

Susan K
see my quilts: members.cox.net/kratersge

Wow! That is beautiful and a lot of work! congratulations!
Old July 17th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

sorry, no. Somewhere I have one developed from a roll of film. I threw
crystals and beads on the top when quilting it!

Ginger in CA

Old July 22nd 09, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens[_2_]

Wonderful job! I made a Celtic Knot Quilt a couple of years ago, but just
made a straight edge and machine quilted! Your quilt is stunning.....

--
Susan
quilting as usual......

http://community.webshots.com/user/sbtinkingston

Old July 27th 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Hi Susan,
Coming late to this thread, I want to congratulate you on the very lovely
Celtic Knot Quilt. I love how you 'indented' the edges to go along with the
Garden Maze set. Adding the bit of knot appliqué to the back is also very
effective.

Now, questions about the quilting. On the close up view, it looks to me that
you did an allover cross hatch quilting on the blocks; it appears that you
did not quilt over the black bias motif. So, did you just run your quilting
thread inside the sandwich to go under the motif? Also, how did you mark the
quilting lines?

Thanks bunches.
PAT, doing a lively River Dance in Virginia

Old July 29th 09, 01:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
susan k

On Jul 27, 1:07*pm, "Pat in Virginia" wrote:
Hi Susan,
Now, questions about the quilting. On the close up view, it looks to me that
you did an allover cross hatch quilting on the blocks; it appears that you
did not quilt over the black bias motif. So, did you just run your quilting
thread inside the sandwich to go under the motif? Also, how did you mark the
quilting lines?

Yes, I ran them through the sandwich to skip the bias.

I have trouble with accurate grids, so I tend to work middle out and
skip every other line.

First, I stick pins with big heads along the edge of the block where
the grids lines should end. I'm really careful to get them all
spaced out just right. No matter what the *actual* length of the
block side is, it gets the same number of pins, evenly spaced. Those
pins stay in till their line is quilted. Then I mark single diagonal
with chalk; from about the middle of the edge. I'd follow that
"square" of quilting around till I met the start, marking each side of
the diagonal with chalk as I go. Then I'd skip a line and do it
again. That way, if the block wasn't accurate or my diagonal drifted,
it wasn't so obvious. When I go back and fill in the alternate lines
I make sure I stay in the center between the already quilted lines to
each side.

I quilt with a pedestal hoop that can spin around, and I use a thimble
on both my long finger and my thumb. The thumb lets you quilt
comfortably going away from your body, which is really tough with the
traditional finger.

Hope that helps. I'm a self taught quilter, so some of my methods are
kinda wonky.

Susan k