Austrailian cyclone

Old March 20th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Austrailian cyclone

I know I speak for all of us watching the news when I say that we hope that
all our Aussie mates (and fabric stashes) make it through the cyclone.
Check in with us when you get electricity! Cyndi

Old March 20th 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

TC Larry CAT5 (300kph winds) has caused widespread damage
and flooding, but no deaths/serious injuries reported to
date. Innisfail and Cairns got the brunt of the storm. The
rain was not as heavy as feared and it has downgraded to
CAT3, but there is another CAT4 (TC Wati) 800km off the
coast opposite Townsville and heading for the coast. Wati
is not a high alert SO FAR, but will bring lots more wind
and rain to the same areas.

The sugar and banana crops have been very hard hit and
thousands will be without work for the next year. This is
our worst storm since TC Tracy destroyed Darwin 30+ years
ago on Christmas Eve. Damage is being estimated at $000s
millions.

My thoughts will be with friends in Townsville and Cairns
tonight and tomorrow.

--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"QuiltsWithCatFur"
wrote in message
. ..
:I know I speak for all of us watching the news when I say
that we hope that
: all our Aussie mates (and fabric stashes) make it through
the cyclone.
: Check in with us when you get electricity! Cyndi
:
:

Old March 20th 06, 08:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I hope Bronnie is OK. I thought of her straight away when I heard the
news. I know she lives in Queensland. I'll have to check the atlas and
see where she is in relation to Cairns.
Actually, I haven't see anything from her for quite a while. So, I hope
she is OK with or without the storm. Does anyone know?
..
In message , Cats
writes
TC Larry CAT5 (300kph winds) has caused widespread damage
and flooding, but no deaths/serious injuries reported to
date. Innisfail and Cairns got the brunt of the storm. The
rain was not as heavy as feared and it has downgraded to
CAT3, but there is another CAT4 (TC Wati) 800km off the
coast opposite Townsville and heading for the coast. Wati
is not a high alert SO FAR, but will bring lots more wind
and rain to the same areas.

The sugar and banana crops have been very hard hit and
thousands will be without work for the next year. This is
our worst storm since TC Tracy destroyed Darwin 30+ years
ago on Christmas Eve. Damage is being estimated at $000s
millions.

My thoughts will be with friends in Townsville and Cairns
tonight and tomorrow.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 20th 06, 08:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I think most of us are lucky enough to be at the other side of the island.
Dotty, Melinda and myself are two days away. Cheryl wouuld be three days
driving away. But watching the news was pretty shocking. I dont know what
the sig line will be as I didnt think I was able to post again on the
newsgroup. trish in Sydney

Old March 20th 06, 10:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

See the above post to see how I organize my thread. Somehow it got under
the wrong heading.
Barbara in SC and now FL

Old March 20th 06, 11:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I haven't heard from Bronnie for a while but she is a way
south of the main storm site. She would be getting heavy
rain and prob'ly wind, but hopefully not a TC.

The late news is that there are no reported deaths, but
(Polly will relate to this one) they are warning that
venomous snakes and crocodiles are likely to be hiding in
debris. This storm was twice the size of the TC that
destroyed Darwin.

"Patti" wrote in message
:I hope Bronnie is OK. I thought of her straight away when
I heard the
: news. I know she lives in Queensland. I'll have to check
the atlas and
: see where she is in relation to Cairns.
: Actually, I haven't see anything from her for quite a
while. So, I hope
: she is OK with or without the storm. Does anyone know?
: .
: In message , Cats
: writes
[...]
: --
: Best Regards
: pat on the hill

Old March 20th 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm here, I'm here.
I live far south of danger area, 2000km south.
But have spent the day checking the TV news as destruction is quite
comprehensive in Innisfail, a small sugar town south of Cairns. No loss
of life or serious injuries reported.Damage to 50% of structures. The
cyclone moved very quickly so intensive rain was minimal but some
flooding is expected in some areas in the next few days.
Down here on the Gold Coast, we will just get some heavy ocean swells
in a day or two as a result.
Thank you everyone for thinking of me and our Aussie friends,
Hugs
Bronnie
p.s. reason for silience somewhat on ng is it is still too hot to do
much sewing. LOL
My little challenge quilt is being judged by next Friday, so cross
fingers for me.

Old March 20th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I was just thinking about her yesterday Patti. We haven't had her check in
for a while. I hope everything thing is ok with all our friends down under.
Doesn't anyone just get normal weather anymore? Amazing!
KJ

"Patti" wrote in message
I hope Bronnie is OK. I thought of her straight away when I heard the
news. I know she lives in Queensland. I'll have to check the atlas and
see where she is in relation to Cairns.
Actually, I haven't see anything from her for quite a while. So, I hope
she is OK with or without the storm. Does anyone know?
.
In message , Cats
writes

Old March 20th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

So good to hear from you. Thanks for checking in.
Good luck on Friday!

In message .com,
Bronnie writes