Valdani thread

Old March 3rd 05, 03:57 PM
Judie in Penfield NY

Default Valdani thread

Has anyone here ever used Valdani thread? I did some research when I was
looking for a nice variegated thread for the wholecloth quilt I'm making for
DD1 and decided to use the Valdani variegated 50 wt cotton thread. After
using it for awhile I began to find many little "slubs" of excess
thread...some of them were sort of popping out of my tension discs and of
course I had a problem with maintaining the proper tension as I was
quilting.

I contacted Valdani about the thread quality and they emailed me right away
that they would send me some replacement thread. It took almost two weeks
but it finally arrived yesterday. And from what I have seen so far just
pulling some of the thread off the spool it is not that much better than the
original thread.

Since I have completed about 1/3 of the quilt top I don't see how I can
change to another thread so will use this replacement thread to finish the
quilt. But I have a lot invested in this quilt and I am very disappointed
that I have had this problem. I was just wondering if anyone else had had
anything like this happen.

Judie in Penfield NY

Old March 3rd 05, 04:10 PM
Marcella Peek

Nope. I've used the Valdani variegated thread for two different quilts.
A blue variegated for a trapunto class and a red variegated for a red
quilt project. Both were wonderful and I really enjoyed using the
threads. I bought mine from Virginia Quilter.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope their quality isn't slipping.

marcella

Old March 3rd 05, 04:19 PM
Judie

Thanks, Marcella. One if the new spools looks like it is a better
quality, hard to tell just by pulling some off the spool so I guess I
will have to just start using it and hope for the best. The Valdani
customer service was good, I got a very quick email response from Dana
at Valdani. I would imagine the shipping delay has to do with the fact
they are located in Alberta, Canada. And I was very anxious to get the
new thread.

It's good to know that their quality has been good, I'm fairly sure I
just got a bad batch. The colors are almost exactly what I was looking
for, and I really wanted to use variegated for this project. Plus I'm
fairly sure that my daughter will never notice the quality of the
thread! Once the quilt is completed and washed it will probably not be
at all noticeable.

Thanks,

Judie in Penfield NY

Old March 3rd 05, 07:25 PM
theys

Here's what happened with Valdani and my last attempt at using it. I
have a Handi-quilter and a Juki Ind set up on it for my quilting. The
Valdani kept breaking, over and over again. I'm sure you have ahd
this happen, one strand seems to be cut, then it gradually builds up
above the eye of the needle, til it snaps. How frustrating. Anyway,
I tried changing the needle and the tension, but nothing helped til I
changed the thread to Aurifil. now, that stuff is just wonderful!!!
No more breaks at all!!! So, I have a bunch of Valdani thread spools
if anyone is interested in taking them off my hands for a few
bucks???? Please email me Good luck with your quilt Kathy

Old March 3rd 05, 07:53 PM
Judie in Penfield NY

Thanks, Kathy. I was almost thinking maybe I was just being way too picky,
but I have used many other threads and haven't had such a problem. From now
on, I will use other threads...at least after I finish the quilt I'm working
on now. There is just no way I can change to another thread in the middle of
this project since I am basically just quilting a design on a big, queen
sized natural color quilt. The quilt top itself was expensive (at least, for
me) and the wool batting is a little more than the Warm & Natural that I
usually use. Plus the 11 yards of cotton for the backing and the beautiful
batik I bought to use as the binding. The batik has the same colors that are
in the variegated thread. I spent months getting all the elements together
for this quilt and now am very unhappy with all the problems with this
thread.

It would seem that the people at Valdani really need to spend some time on
their quality control.

Judie in Penfield NY