ANNOUNCING OFFICIALLY - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (February's Blocks)

Old February 4th 05, 02:26 AM
AliceW

That sounds like a great idea! Heaven knows my stash is large enough to
find the border fabric. I'll look and see if I have FQs to coordinate with
it. Thanks for the suggestion!

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
: Alice:
: You could select a focal fabric first and reserve
: it for sashing or corner squares. Then, assemble a
: box of 'interesting' odd bits of fabric scraps
: that blend together nicely. Then just reach into
: that box every month to make the current block. I
: am doing something similar.
:
: Every month my small group has a lottery BOM in
: designated colors. I make and return those. This
: year I added a personal twist. First I will test
: each pattern with other fabric and I will keep
: that block. I *may* also add a few blocks from the
: RCTQ project to my collection. My box of scraps is
: all in Christmas fabric! By November I will have a
: Christmas theme sampler. Sounds like fun, eh?
:
: PAT in VA/USA
:
: AliceW wrote:
: Ok, I love the block, but now I have to decide on colors! Do I do all
the
: blocks in the same colors or do I get wild and crazy? Hmmmmm, I think
I'll
: have a glass of wine and mull over this big decision. Shopping.....I
may
: need to go shopping for fabric..........it's sounding better and better
all
: the time!
:
: Thanks, Melissa, you're the shot in the arm I've been waiting for!
:
:

Old February 4th 05, 11:58 AM
Lenora C

Ok I have my block done also. Will take a picture some time in the next
day or two. I can not wait to see the others.
Lenora
In Illinois
Old February 4th 05, 08:22 PM
Denise G.

I've never done a BOM, sounds like fun. Count me in. Good way to use up
some stash.

Denise in NH
My quilt guild:
www.amoskeagqg.org

Old February 9th 05, 02:19 PM
Melissa in NJ

Just a repost of the original post!

Melissa in NJ

Since the idea of having an RCTQ block-of-the-month (BOM) was so well
received, it is now official!!!! This is the
2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month!

How this BOM works is I will post two block patterns each month near the
beginning of each month. One pieced and one applique. They will all be
available for free from Marcia Hohn's Quilter's Cache website. It is up to
you whether you would like to do the pieced block or the applique block (or
both!). You will work at your own pace over the course of each month. You
keep your blocks. You do not mail them to me. At the end of the year you
will have twelve blocks to set into a quilt. You keep the quilt. You do not
mail it to me. You will then have your very own 2005-2006 RCTQ BOM. At that
time I will collect pictures of the finished quilts (and perhaps of the
blocks along the way too) so we can all see how different each quilt looks
even though we all started with the same block patterns. When I announce a
month's block patterns, I will also include the previous months' as well so
if you decide to join along the way you will have all the blocks. Pieced
blocks will be 12" in size and applique blocks will be 8" in size. This is
driven by what Marcia has available in quantity on her site. Feel free to
size up/down if you so chose.

This BOM will run from February 2005 through March 2006. This is how the
schedule breaks down:
February 2005-January 2006: Monthly blocks
February 2006: Completing the Top (setting,sashing, borders, etc.)
March 2006: Completing the Quilt (quilting, binding, labeling, etc.) - Done!

Marcia has a pin rating on her site that rates the level of difficulty of
her block patterns. For the pieced blocks only, for the first four they will
be a 1 pin rating. For the second set of four they will increase in
difficulty to a 2 pin rating. The final set will be a three pin rating so we
are challenged along the way. Don't worry. Marcia's instructions are great,
and I won't pick the terror block from heck either!!! Because there are less
Applique blocks to chose from, those will all be mixed and matched between 2
pin and 3 pin ratings with no particular pin rating order.

With that here are February 2005 blocks (Month 1):

Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/V_Z/Wat...tionBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/D_F/FolkFeathersBlock.html

I'll post March's at the beginning of March!

Thanks for playing!!!!

Melissa in NJ
quiltngryhndlady at comcast dot net
--
Remove STOPCRAP to reply

Old February 21st 05, 09:02 PM
Tamara

I like your color choice. That was one idea I was thinking about
doing. I looked at the directions and it says it will be a 12" finished
block. I need to make my block.

Tamara

Volfie, Owner, GizzMutt Stables wrote:

My block is DONE!!! Go he http://community.webshots.com/user/deerhnd
and look in the rctq folder.

Is this thing supposed to be 10-1/2" in the raw state? Darn it. Even with
scant 1/4" seams, I'm always a scootch under 10-1/2".

Old February 21st 05, 09:39 PM

"Tamara" wrote in message
I like your color choice. That was one idea I was thinking about doing. I
looked at the directions and it says it will be a 12" finished block. I
need to make my block.

Tamara

Well that's what I meant even if that's not what I wrote. So it should
be 12-1/2" now, right?

Giselle (they always confuse me with "finished" because I think that means
when I finish that block, not the darn quilt)

Old February 21st 05, 09:41 PM
maryd

Pretty color choices. But I think the block is suppose to be 12 1/2 inches.
So tell me how you got it 2 inches too small. s

--
Mary

Old February 21st 05, 10:21 PM
Melissa in NJ

I love it!

I am one step closer to doing mine. I bought fabric!

My other two BOMS, I have January and February's applique ones done and
January's pieced done. February's pieced one is next.

Melissa in NJ

--
and the "Boos Hounds" (Bear, Bits, and Lexus)
and Maxi (aka Witch Kitty with a "B"), Kenobi (aka "Kitty Wan Kenobi"),

Pics of My Quilts:
http://community.webshots.com/user/quiltngryhndlady

Quilt Something for Yourself! Adopt a Racing Greyhound!
--
Remove STOPCRAP to reply