Need shagging instructions

Old January 19th 05, 01:07 PM
Johanna Gibson

This is scary, I lived in the US for 2.5 years, and after 1 year back in
the UK, I still have trouble asking for the "toilet". I keep wanting to
say "restroom", and well, I cringe somewhat (on the inside only) when I
realise it is not going to work over here.

But in my experience lots of guys in the US would ask for "the little
boys' room". Of course a (US) friend once said she'd go "shake the dew
of her lily pad" - I think we were still laughing when she returned.

Now, if someone could explain to me why Americans call it "aluminum"
when lots of other countries (UK included) call is "aluminium", I'd be
pretty happy!

Hanne in London
(Originally from Denmark, via Wales, Scotland and Virginia)

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://pearl1.lanl.gov/periodic/elements/13.html

-- Jo in Scotland
Old January 19th 05, 01:24 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

Johanna Gibson wrote:
Now, if someone could explain to me why Americans call it "aluminum"
when lots of other countries (UK included) call is "aluminium", I'd be
pretty happy!

Hanne in London
(Originally from Denmark, via Wales, Scotland and Virginia)

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://pearl1.lanl.gov/periodic/elements/13.html

-- Jo in Scotland

Thanks, Jo!

I get the drift of it, but that 2nd paragraph just doesn't make a whole
lot of sense to me???

Hanne in London
Old January 19th 05, 01:29 PM
georg

Hanne Gottliebsen wrote:

But in my experience lots of guys in the US would ask for "the little
boys' room". Of course a (US) friend once said she'd go "shake the dew
of her lily pad" - I think we were still laughing when she returned.

There's a LOT of euphemisms for this. If you want, I'll try to find a
compendium. If you ask for a loo, bog, or WC in America, you get blank
stares- they work fine in UK. My favorite disco in Bath is called
something else formally but we all called it Bog Island, because it used
to be a public loo under the sidewalk at a large busy intersection.

When I was little, I was horse mad. So when my grandfather informed the
dinner table, he had to "see a man about a horse," I wanted to go with
him, and was very much disappointed to learn he meant to go for a walk
out back. He was also good at explaining pulling over to the side of
the road and going for a walk as an experiment to make sure water still
ran downhill.

Grandpa Burt had more phrases for shaking his stick than anyone I've
ever known. Yes, he's the one that started the family privy
collection/obession

-georg
Old January 19th 05, 01:56 PM
Kate Dicey

Bonnie wrote:

You don't have to leave the states to find differences in
language. I grew up in Philly and then moved upstate. I
had to learn a whole new vocabulary.

Red up - means to tidy the room
Outten the light - means to turn the light off
It's all - means there is none left
Make down - means it's raining

There are others, but these are the ones that popped
in my head.

Same here. In common parlance 'knock you up' means get you pregnant...
In the NE where I was a student it meant knock on your door to wake
you! A hangover from the days of the 'knocker uppers', who went round
the streets with a long pole to bang on bedroom windows so workers could
get to their shifts on time, in the days before alarm clocks... I just
got the giggles the first time my local male friend in the next room
offered to knock me up in the morning so we'd get an early breakfast and
be on the road before most students emerge from their pits! I think we
were going climbing...

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 19th 05, 01:59 PM
Maureen Wozniak

In Illinois, Chicagoan's who find themselves south of I-80 are puzzled
when someone asks if they "want to go with?"

Old January 19th 05, 02:29 PM
Kate Dicey

KJ wrote:

Neeps?? Is this something that would change DD's mind about doing her
student teaching in Scotland?

Turnip - 'chappit neeps' is really not quite mashed swede with butter
and pepper. It's like rutabaga, I am told. Tatties, chappit neeps and
haggis - food of the gods and Burns Night Suppers! YUM! Whiskey is
also wonderful. Do not listen to the denigrations of the furriner! ;P

There's a very good haggis recipe on my web site, along with
instructions for chappit neeps.

--
Kate XXXXXX (Ex-patriot Scot in the lost land of Kent... )
Old January 19th 05, 02:32 PM
Kate Dicey

georg wrote:

Violet "F'loonslayer" Volfie wrote:

I love raw rutabaga. It's sort of sweet and crunchy. Good diet
food. You
can pretty well eat it all day and not worry about calories. I just
eat it
because I like it, tho'. I must be the only person in Indiana who
buys it,
though, because they never know what it is when I get to the cash
register.

I like turnips armored. That means sort of like au gratin, but with some
cinnamon on top. I have served them to people who assumed it was taters,
and they were only surprised by the cinnamon. Otherwise, taste was about
the same.

When served with haggis everything is mashed up so I mix about a 1/3 fork
load of all three, chew, swallow and follow with a wee dram. Yum.

I can honestly say the only time I've ever had haggis was while I was
drinking (a couple of years in a row at Pennsic). So I don't know if I
would have it sober- I've never been given that option.

Blood pudding I did have- and loved it. For breakfast even.

-georg

Called black pudding here, though often dark red inside. Yummy, but
high in fat, so I have to avoid it these days. It's a traditional
breakfast food all over Scotland and the North of England. Seen down
here in the heathen south, but not so often.

Old January 19th 05, 02:36 PM
Bonnie

Maureen Wozniak wrote:
In Illinois, Chicagoan's who find themselves south of I-80 are puzzled
when someone asks if they "want to go with?"

That one if familar too!
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old January 19th 05, 02:49 PM
Roberta Zollner

And here I thought "steg" was for guys, the equivalent of "beefcake". A
"chick" is also a "sild"?
Roberta in D

"Hanne Gottliebsen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
In Danish "chick" as in good looking girl is "steg", the word normally
used for a roast.

You guys make me laugh!

Hanne in London

Pat in Virginia wrote:
A modern roast? One with tattoos and piercing.
PAT in VA/USA

Johanna Gibson wrote:

On 19 Jan 2005 00:58:00 -0800, "Dee in Oz"
wrote:

Down under they were often cooked with the Sunday Roast, not so much
now with the 'modern roast'

Dee in Oz

What is a 'modern roast'?

-- Jo in Scotland

Old January 19th 05, 03:06 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

OK, unless this is another case of words changing their meaing
180degrees in 5 years (this happens), "en laekker steg" is definitely a
chick. "En dejlig sild" of course, is the same thing.

Actually, I'm struggling to think of the Danish version of "hunk", maybe
"en god cigar"? But I think that might be a bit old fashioned by now.

Gees, I've been away too long already!

Hanne in London