Need shagging instructions

Old January 19th 05, 09:02 PM
Sally Swindells

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:20:23 +0000, Johanna Gibson
wrote:
I think perhaps the word Sally is referring to is "toilet". You can
ask where the toilet is here, and all is well. You would not ask
where the bathroom is, because you will be shown a small room
containing a tub, and a sink if you are lucky, but quite possibly
lacking a toilet. If you ask for the bathroom, people will assume you
want a bath. However, there seems to be some problem with asking
where the toilet is in the US (is it rude, or is it shocking? because
people stare at me when I ask this now)... and you have to use an
evasive way to ask; "bathroom" and "restroom" spring to mind. Hmm. I
usually don't need a bath or a rest when I'm out in public.

-- Jo in Scotland

No I hadn't actually gone lavatorial! However reminds me of a US
friend whose comment on her flight here was 'There were 8 bathrooms on
the plane' - my immediate thought - one of those extra luxury bathroom
ads - pink and shiney with big fluffy towels. Surely it cut the
passenger numbers down - and where did the bathwater go?

Also when we were on holiday and travelling south from San Fran to LA
and we stopped at a wildlife park for DH to birdwatch. I was left
sewing on a bench in the carpark and overhead the man of a passing
couple say - just going to the bathroom before we leave. All that was
in sight was the oldest, rustiest portloo I had ever seen and which I
was determined not to use. But perhaps it was a magic one with the
pink shiney bathroom inside?

Sally

Old January 19th 05, 09:14 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

Johanna Gibson wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:29:55 +0000 (UTC), Sally Swindells
wrote:

But we Brits always call it the Sunday Joint anyway! Its only called a
roast when we are speaking to our cousins across the pond!

Sally

I don't know where you're located exactly, but I've heard plenty of
folks in England and Scotland call it "Sunday roast".

-- Jo in Scotland

And in all my living in Wales, Scotland and England, I never heard of a
Sunday Joint until now!

Hanne in London
Old January 19th 05, 09:22 PM
Sally Swindells

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:57:16 -0500, "Violet \"F'loonslayer\" Volfie"
wrote:

And what did they call the movie, "The Shaggy Dog" in the UK?

Giselle (btw, if I had said I needed "ragging" directions, THAT would have
meant something odd to *me*)

Shaggy isn't rude! but I can remember reading in the paper of great
hilarity at the cinema when 'Free Willy' was advertised.

Sally

Old January 19th 05, 09:34 PM
Kate Dicey

wrote:

And what did they call the movie, "The Shaggy Dog" in the UK?

Giselle (btw, if I had said I needed "ragging" directions, THAT would have
meant something odd to *me*)

Shaggy isn't rude! but I can remember reading in the paper of great
hilarity at the cinema when 'Free Willy' was advertised.

Sally

One with every bloke...

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 19th 05, 09:36 PM
Kate Dicey

wrote:

[...]

That one always gets me too. I imagine the bathroom that went with the
pink Imperial Leather ad...

Old January 19th 05, 10:45 PM
Anne

Sally Swindells wrote:

lots snipped here

All that was
in sight was the oldest, rustiest portloo I had ever seen and which I
was determined not to use. But perhaps it was a magic one with the
pink shiney bathroom inside?

Sally

Sort of a Tardis of Loos? vbeg

Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow
http://home.covad.net/~arudolph/annes.htm
Old January 20th 05, 12:27 AM
Sally Swindells

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:45:37 -0800, Anne
wrote:

Sally Swindells wrote:

All that was
in sight was the oldest, rustiest portloo I had ever seen and which I
was determined not to use. But perhaps it was a magic one with the
pink shiney bathroom inside?

Sally

Sort of a Tardis of Loos? vbeg

Exactly, but wasn't sure how worldwide Tardis is.

Sally

Old January 20th 05, 12:47 AM
Dee in Oz

Modern Roast- boneless meat, marinated and cooked on a rack.

Traditional Roast- Leg of lamb with roast potatoes, pumpkin, carrots,
parsnips. Boiled peas or beans and gravy made from pan juices.
Thats the way it was when I grew up any way.

Dee in Oz

Old January 20th 05, 12:48 AM
Dee in Oz

That covers both DH and I..

Dee in Oz

Old January 20th 05, 02:46 AM
Pati Cook

I believe that what John does is: cut the "fringe" then use the weed
whacker to reduce the amount of fuzz you get when you wash/dry the
finished product. It would cut down on it because you are leaving a lot
of what is loosened on the surface where you apply the weed whacker.
(and that is a convoluted sentence if I ever wrote one!!!)

I also like John Flynn's diagonally seamed backing............. great
for not needing huge amounts of backing fabrics when your fabric is just
a bit too narrow.

Pati, in Phx

Patty in NWO wrote:

I've never done one of these quilts and am hoping to make some for the
nieces and nephews sometime this year. My curiousity is getting the better
of me. At John Flynn's web site he frays the edges with a weed whacker. Has
anybody tried this? And if so would there be less fuzz in the lint trap?

Patty in NWO ( thinking there's no way that's getting near my quilt, yikes)
; ) piggy-backing here as I've lost original post

"Violet "F'loonslayer" Volfie" wrote in message

"Judy W" wrote in message
link.net...

I made myself one and all my kids loved it. I ended up making them all

one.

(a total of 4) I didn't have a problem with the washer or dryer. If
your
worried about it, take it to a laundry mat. I love the quilts, they are

nice

to cuddle up in on a cold night.

.......snipped