Cheating the binding

Old September 18th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
redpenner

Default Cheating the binding

What I meant was, the ladies were telling me that the judges at the
quilt show would criticize my quilts for the flat binding. Not that I
care what the guild ladies say, but I do have hopes one day of winning
some kind of ribbon at a show...

Jessamy wrote:

many times "the ladies at the quilt guild" are trying to be quilt police and
make people do things their way - since there are no quilt police, do what
*you* like, and smile and mumble something to the ladies in question when
they next try to police ;-)
--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old September 18th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
redpenner

Great nickname, Polly!

What I have is a 1/4 inch or sometimes 3/8 inch seam (sewing binding to
front of quilt), and I use a 2-1/2 inch wide strip (before folding
double). I don't like the look of a really skinny binding either, so I
like to have at least 1/4 inch showing on the front. That usually
leaves me with a binding that has top/batting/backing in it for most of
its width, but it doesn't usually extend to the very edge -- maybe 1/8
inch at most is empty.

I guess I should go with a 1/2 inch seam at least. I don't want to
mess up the pattern on top though.

polly esther wrote:
Well, now, you all just move over and pass the chocolate. I want to climb
right in here, punnies and all, even though I'm not just real sure what
we're talking about - not that such ever stopped me. If 'redpenner' means
that her binding is thin and empty of quilt top, batting and backing, it
probably is going to wear itself threadbare in no time at all. Or are her
local self-appointed quilt police talking about a fat cording/piping sort of
look - which might be interesting but sounds like a heap of ado about
nothing. Anybody know what 'ado' is? Polly

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote
"Kate G." wrote "And if I did, I'd tell them to stuff it. "

She says with a smile when talking about "padded" bindings! Oh you are
too.... too PUNNY!

Kate in MI (who was in need of a giggle!)

Glad someone got it!

Old September 18th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

just keep with your nice flat bindings - not empty of anything - they will
not become less of a winner for lacking a plump binding

:-)

Old September 18th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

ahh well you do need that empty bit gone - trim the batting/top back a tad
less and then fold the binding over - it will work wonders ;-)

Old September 18th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Cutting the binding strip width at 2 l/4" will work, too. That's what I
always use, unless my quilt batting is thicker. (don't use fat batt
much) I do know judges look for a filled binding, and also that the
mitered corners are sewn, front and back. HTH Nancycog in MD

Old September 18th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Since I'm teaching Shakespeare again, Polly, yes, I do g
..
In message . net, polly
esther writes
Well, now, you all just move over and pass the chocolate. I want to climb
right in here, punnies and all, even though I'm not just real sure what
we're talking about - not that such ever stopped me. If 'redpenner' means
that her binding is thin and empty of quilt top, batting and backing, it
probably is going to wear itself threadbare in no time at all. Or are her
local self-appointed quilt police talking about a fat cording/piping sort of
look - which might be interesting but sounds like a heap of ado about
nothing. Anybody know what 'ado' is? Polly

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 18th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

What do you mean nickname? g
..
In message . com,
redpenner writes

Old September 18th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

It isn't obligatory to have a 1/2" binding.
I almost always do a quarter inch binding (except when I do an eighth -
but that's another story!!). That's because I rarely used to put on a
border, so I had points etc not to cut off with the binding. If you do
a quarter inch binding, you won't have that empty bit. If you use
borders, of course, you can do whatever width binding you like. If you
go with a half inch binding, say, perhaps you could sew the seam just a
smidgen over the half inch, so that the edges of the quilt really have
to be squeezed into the binding. That works very well.
..

Old September 18th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Redpennee:
Those are YOUR quilts?
YOU like 'em?
Then, do as YOU prefer.
"There are no quilt police" ... you
might mention that at your guild show!!

PAT in VA/USA

redpenner wrote:

I'm finishing a couple of quilts for our local quilt show, and I've
been advised by the ladies in my quilt guild that my bindings are too
flat (even though that's the way I like them). What is the current
feeling on "padding" the binding with strips of batting before sewing
it down?

Old September 18th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

My guess is she is referring to "polly esther"....

Kate in MI

"Patti" wrote in message ...
What do you mean nickname? g
.
In message . com, redpenner
writes
Great nickname, Polly!

What I have is a 1/4 inch or sometimes 3/8 inch seam (sewing binding to
front of quilt), and I use a 2-1/2 inch wide strip (before folding
double). I don't like the look of a really skinny binding either, so I
like to have at least 1/4 inch showing on the front. That usually
leaves me with a binding that has top/batting/backing in it for most of
its width, but it doesn't usually extend to the very edge -- maybe 1/8
inch at most is empty.

I guess I should go with a 1/2 inch seam at least. I don't want to
mess up the pattern on top though.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Border and binding help - How do you do them? Charlotte Hippen Quilting 47 March 3rd 07 05:15 AM
Binding Debbie Quilting 13 September 26th 06 12:22 AM
I just can't get the binding right QuiltsWithCatFur Quilting 18 February 24th 06 11:35 AM
binding technique -- new to me, YMMV the black rose Quilting 22 April 1st 05 05:07 PM
Stuffing the binding & Simon Leslie in Missouri Quilting 21 May 11th 04 03:52 PM