Bobbin Problem

Old September 15th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default Bobbin Problem

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 02:40:00 GMT, "polly esther"
wrote:
And,
another thought - my older SM gets really grumpy if I wind a bobbin too
quickly. I won't bore you with technical things I don't bother to
understand, but running a bobbin too fast somehow maybe puts a serious
tension on the thread and can cause kersploofs. God bless those of you who
are trying to translate 'kersploof' from a dictionary, I think it's a thing
you have to actually see to understand. Polly

Ah ha! That might be my problem. I always load my bobbins at full
speed. I never had a problem with my old machine which had a drop in
bobbin, but my new machine has a side loading bobbin case which might
be a tad more persnickety. I'll try loading bobbins more slowly and
see if that helps.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 15th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:19:17 -0400, "Mika"
wrote:

I have a problem with my bobbin that I wonder if anyone else has
experienced. If so, what did you do to resolve it. The problem is this:

As long as the bobbin is full the thread works fine but when it gets down
about halfway the thread starts slipping out of the bobbin case and winds
around the bobbin pole. This causes the stitches to skip or go wonky and
sometimes the thread even breaks.

I have tightened the bobbin case to see if that helps but I have to be
really careful about that because that sets the bobbin tension for the
stitches. I don't know what else to do so if anyone has any suggestions I'm
open to them all. It's on my Brother machine.

Hugs,
Mika

So glad you asked this question. I was having the same problem with
my new machine.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 15th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Must be another 'Pat' thing PAT!!
Works for me g
Also, I do only use those specifically for my machine - I've always done
that. They're only pence more, I think.
..
In message 8KwOg.10905$Zm1.2984@dukeread02, Pat in Virginia
writes
Mika:
The problem might have roots in how you WIND the bobbin. When I wind
one, I always thread the start through the little hole, let it hang for
a couple inches, wind the thread around the bobbin center a few times,
and place it on the spindle.
***Then, while winding, I keep a grip on the starter thread. I only let
that go after the bobbin has a nice tight fill ... about 1/4 or 1/3
full.***
PAT in VA/USA

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 15th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

Have you tried taking the bobbin case to bits and cleaning it? Also
check for damage... And check the bobbins you are using as well!

The bobbin case doesn't come apart that I can see. If I took it apart it
would never go back together correctly. I do clean the thing inside the
machine that the bobbin case fits into. It comes apart for cleaning and I
clean it regularly and oil it. The bobbins I use are ummm I think Singer
bobbins but also fit the Brother machines.

What sort is it - drop-in or front/side loading? It might just be worn,
and bobbin cases can be replaces fairly easily. You can do that
yourself.

It's a front loading. I have to take a case thingy off the front to get to
the bobbin. I'll have to take a closer look at the bobbin case to see if it
is worn down or anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hugs,
Mika

Old September 15th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steve and Peggy Hartsell

Mika,

My Pfaff was doing the same thing to me this summer, only the symptoms were
that if I sewed fast, then when I let up on the speed, the "backlash" at the
bobbin would cause the thread to wrap around the bobbin pole and SNAP....
After about the fifth time in one seam _I_ went SNAP and went to find
chocolate. When I came back in a calmer frame of mind I tried several
things.

* How the bobbin was wound did make a difference. Not so tight, and not so
full. I agree with the other advise you have been given, wind at a slower
speed.
* A touch of sewing machine oil between the bobbin side and the back of the
bobbin case. Use a cotton swab to clean off the oil every new bobbin full
of thread, then renew the tiny amount of oil.
* The thread was a problem too. I discovered I had a spool of Gutermann
thread that was of inconsistent diameter. It had extreme thick and thin
spots. :-( So as I sewed along, minding my own businesses, when a thick
spot would come, the bobbin tension would increase, and then when released,
would give me the "sprong" effect that would cause the wrapped thread and
the snapped serenity. I have since marked that spool to be used as the top
thread only.

Good luck, and remember, chocolate is our friend,

Peggy in flammable SW Washington State

Old September 16th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

Most of them are Singer bobbing but some are generic. I've never seen any
made specifically by or for Brother. I've had the machine for four years and
it has never been a problem before. I have a lot of bobbins so they get
rotated around a lot. Never thought about bobbins wearing out but I'll check
them all over real good for wear or damage.

Hugs,
Mika

"Cats" wrote in message
Just a thought - are you using generic bobbins or the ones
designated for your machine?

Also - check all the bobbins for wear or damage as well as
the casing as Kate suggested

Cheryl & the Cats
0 0 o o 0 0
( Y ) ( Y ) ( Y )
U O U
Enness Boofhead Donut
(Boof just back from 3+ days missing -
injuries unknown at this stage)
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

:

Old September 16th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

Hmmm you know the speed of my sewing, starting and stopping could very well
be the problem. Sometimes I speed along and then suddenly I'm at the end of
the seam. The only thing is, it doesn't happen when the bobbin is full. When
the bobbin is near the halfway mark I can hear it slip in the case. Several
times I have thought it was empty because it makes the same sound when it is
getting ready to make the last few stitches. I've taken it apart to check
how much thread was on the bobbin to find that it is half full. It gets
frustrating after awhile. I'll pay closer attention to my sewing speed
though and see if that may be the problem.

Hugs,
Mika

"jennellh" wrote in message
lkaboutcrafting.com...
I have also had this recurring problem while sewing both with a pfaff and

brother sewing machine. It doesn't come down to any one reason though -
sometimes I have been using an extra fine bobbin thread or sewing 'really'
fast so that the bobbin thread is speeding along until it suddenly has to
slow down or stop. When this happens, a loop forms inside the bobbin case
that can get tangled around the spool.

My suggestion is to come to a gradual stop or decrease in sewing speed
which isn't always possible and not always remembered.

Also, when you load the bobbin and pull the thread out to the hook - hold
the bobbin in the case steady with your thumb while putting tension on the
thread before loading it into your machine.

Another thought is that the age of your bobbins and wear and tear against
the spindle of the case could have shaved inside the bobbin so that it is
not a snug fit. I know that some of my newer plastic pfaff bobbins have
been very tight fitting.

jennellh
http://community.webshots.com/user/barnyowl

Old September 16th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

Thank you for your gentle response Polly. I do so appreciate it, as I do all
the replies. As far as the bobbin or bobbin case having a case of cranky
pants, I think it must have rubbed off from my 11 m/o grandson. He has had a
horrible case of them this week but he's cutting a jaw tooth too so he has
an excuse. Anyway, I do have a tendency to wind my bobbins at warp speed so
I'll slow things down a bit and see if that helps. I'm just so tired of
bobbin thread kersploofs that cause me to have to re-sew my seams cause the
bobbin decided to get cranky and loose. I haven't found any bobbins made
specifically for Brother machines so I use Singer bobbins that are
compatible with Brother. At least the package says they are. I guess I'll
have to look at a Brother dealer sometime and see.

Hugs,
Mika

"polly esther" wrote in message
link.net...
Ah, yes, our precious friend. Answering you gently because all of us are
hurting with you and holding you close - but it could easily be that your
bobbin or your bobbin case is having a case of Cranky Pants. My Bernina
guy, who is not known for charm or kindness simply has his hair catch on
fire if he catches me with an ' equal' but not Bernina bobbin. And,

Old September 16th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

I'll keep that in mind Kate. I usually wind my bobbins at warp speed or at
least as fast as my machine will go when winding bobbins. So I'll slow it
down next time and see if it helps.

Hugs,
Mika

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
polly esther wrote:

[...]

Ah, yes - Manic Bobbin Winding Syndrome!

If you are using poly thread and winding bobbins at faster than light
speeds, don't! Wind them at half speed or slower. I panic-wound a
bobbin one and it stuck to the bobbin winding spindle. One of the few
times my OSMG has needed to tell me off!

Cotton thread isn't usually quite so bad, but even there, Fast Forward
is probably not the way to go, so I don't often.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old September 16th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

Great minds think alike. That's how I wind my bobbins. I have to clip the
starter thread off before using it though. It was getting tangled on the
spindle inside the machine and causing my upper thread to break. It didn't
matter how long or short I left it, if it was sticking out of that little
hole on the bobbin, it somehow found a way to make the upper thread break.
So I got a pair of scissors with a really sharp points on the end so that I
can get them just barely inside the hole to clip the thread. Now I don't
have problems with the upper thread breaking. At least not because of the
bobbin thread.

Hugs,
Mika

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Mika:
The problem might have roots in how you
WIND the bobbin. When I wind one, I
always thread the start through the
little hole, let it hang for a couple
inches, wind the thread around the
bobbin center a few times, and place it
on the spindle.
***Then, while winding, I keep a grip on
the starter thread. I only let that go
after the bobbin has a nice tight fill
... about 1/4 or 1/3 full.***
PAT in VA/USA

I have a problem with my bobbin ...cut...