Greetings again!

Old August 13th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack

Default Greetings again!

"Terri" wrote in message
"Debi Matlack" wrote in
ink.net:

I can sympathize, Terri. My Grizz has been gone a few months now and I
still miss him, as annoying as he could be sometimes... there is
something about Shepherds...

It's hard to accurately describe it if you haven't lived with one, isn't
it?
Here's one of my favorite photos of my boy. I plan on taking this
one and another of Luke and making a wall hanging or a pillow of
them.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...dening2003.jpg

What a handsome boy! I just made a couple of montage pictures of Grizz and
my beloved Sophie and hung them in the living room a couple of weeks ago. I
had the frames with the divided mats forever so I thought using them was a
good idea. One day I'll make a wall hanging of my kitties past and present
and put it over my fireplace. The dogs will get one someday too...
Debi

Old August 13th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Default Magazines Greetings again!

My advice: don't subscribe at all right now. Instead, pick up a magazine
that appeals to you from the stand every month. If you notice that you tend
to pick up the same one every time, then that's the one you should subscribe
to! And see what your library has.
Roberta in D

"Jacqueline" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Terri, mentioned magazines, that is something else, I can't afford
but one at this time, which is the best for a beginner and how can I
subscribe to one?

Thanks in advance.
Jacqueline

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 09:59:00 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

Terri: The "aprons" wh is delightful! I
have a collection of old aprons. I won't
be able to display them in this house,
so I should probably think about cutting
the damaged/stained aprons. I was
thinking of little Sue dresses, but I
like your pattern better!
PAT in VA/USA

Terri wrote:
...cut...
And before I forget, this is something entirely different from that
I made as a house warming gift for my SIL. They are the last relatives
to leave New Orleans so now I don't have to worry about any family
members down there in harms way.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...ges/Aprons.jpg
I ran across this in a magazine and just had to make it. The pattern
was inspired by the aprons women used to wear in the 1940's and
the embellisments are all items given to me by my SIL.
She loved it.

Jacqueline
http://www.mountain-breeze.com
Recipes and other fun things

Old August 13th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default OT A different service? Greetings again!

There's two of those in my neighborhood. Don't know if it's the same
franchise as Louise's sister (the ones near me are called Dream Dinners.)
They have all the ingredients prepared along with the recipe; you assemble
it, take it home, and either cook it right away or freeze it. Their
advertising encourages people to do a whole week's worth at once.

The one closest to me seems to have a lot of business. I can't say I see the
appeal, but then I enjoy cooking so I'm probably not their target customer.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Louise,
Your SIL's new business sounds very unusual. I've never heard of such. Do
the customers buy the food from her and cook in her facility? Will she
prepare the dishes for people who are time (or cooking) challenged?
TTFN,
PAT, curious in Virginia

Louise wrote:

Love those aprons! I've been trying to decide what I might make for my
DSIL, and that might be it! She just opened a new business - one of the
places where you go to prepare meals that you then take home to freeze
until you're ready to eat them. In addition, she's always worn an apron
at all family gatherings (as opposed to the rest of us who just wipe our
hands on our pants!), and something like this apron quilt would be just
perfect for her.

Old August 13th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

These cook-your-own places are very popular around here.
One of the more popular is just up the road from me,
Super Suppers: http://www.supersupperssoutharlington.com/
across the street from a Joanne's store (which will be moving
to a new location in October); we've all talked about it while
standing in line. g "Leaves me more time to quilt/sew!"
or so I've heard.

Ragmop/Sandy--loves to cook; I could be a "short-order gourmet" ;-D

Old August 13th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

I guess this trend has not crossed the
Mississippi River yet! At least, it
hasn't come to my neck of the woods.
I've heard of friends having a similar
activity ... just two, three, or four
friends who split the shopping, prep,
and so on, and then cook and package the
meals as a team.

PAT in VA/USA

Old August 13th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise

I go through phases. Sometimes I love to mess around in the kitchen and
other times I try to stay as far away from it as I can. On those nights,
even putting a pre-prepared meal in the oven would be too much work!!!

I can see where having some meals in the freezer would be great for those
nights when you have to be three places at the same time and don't have time
to spend in the kitchen. There are a couple of places here in town, and they
seem to be doing a great business.
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

"KJ" wrote in message
We have a couple of these places in the Iowa City/Coralville area. I've
not been to one, but I hear they are very well received. I believe a few
of my neighbors went to one as a "girls night out" and had a lot of fun
chatting while they assembled their dinners. Wish I had thought of doing
this for my son before he moved away. Having someone do the shopping and
prep work is a real time saver. Actually, I probably have the time...just
not the interest!
KJ

"Louise" wrote in message
Both. If you want to do your own, you register for a class, select the
entrees from a menu that changes monthly, and then show up at the
scheduled time. All of the ingredients are prepared for you - the meat is
cooked/sliced/whatever, the veggies cut up, etc. You then assemble each
of your entrees (12 per session, I believe, and each one is designed to
serve 4 or more) and put it in the freezer until it's time to go home.
Each session lasts about 2 hours, and you go home with 12 (or 6, it's
your choice) main dishes - I think she's going to have side dishes
available as well, if you want them. If there are only one or two in the
family, you can divide most entrees into smaller portions and get more
than 12 meals.

If you don't have time for the 2-hour session, she and her staff will
prepare your entrees for you for an additional charge.

This is something that started around her about two or three years ago
and they've been fairly successful. She and my brother moved to Wisconsin
a couple of years ago, and that's when she decided to start a business
herself. I can see where it would be a time saver for busy moms. I
haven't been to one myself, but I know my sister went to one to make
dinners for her bachelor son who works long hours. He loves it - all he
has to do is thaw it out ahead of time and pop it in the oven, which is
pretty nice for someone whose idea of a home-cooked meal used to be
frozen pizza!
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old August 13th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise

Hers is called The Cooking Cupboard. It'll be interesting to find out why
her customers choose to use the service. I've always thought it would be the
moms who have a couple of kids and are busy running from one event to
another and just don't have time to cook every night (I can't imagine
someone doing the frozen dinner every night, but hey, who knows?), but may
be it will be the person who just doesn't like to cook. --
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

t...

Old August 14th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

When I cook things like soups, stews, spaghetti, meatloaf, chicken pot
pie, the filing that is, same with beef pot pies, bbq pork for
sandwiches, stuffed green peppers, cabbage rolls, and some other
items I always make enough for 7-10 meals to go in the freezer. Since
it is just my dad and myself I freeze them in servings of two. I make
bags up of corn bread mix and put in the refrigerator, then I just
have to take one out add the egg and buttermilk and in 30 minutes have
homemade corn bread. (I don't use self-rising anything so this does
say a lot of time) I buy things like green peppers and onions when
they are on sale and go on and chop them up and freeze them, then when
I need some I just pull out my bag and take out what is needed. This
saves me so much time in the kitchen and we always have home made
meals. It also came in very handy when I fell and was unable to stand
and cook. I just had my dad go to the basement freezer and get
whatever he wanted to eat that day and defrosted it and put a good,
decent homemade meal on the table. I also do this with some
casseroles. I stew about 10 lbs of chicken at a time and cut it in to
chunks or pull it apart and freeze it in one lb bags for quick meals
like chicken and dumplings, casseroles, etc. The only time that I
cook a complete meal at one time is probably if I am fixing steak,
pork chops, seafood, roasts or fried chicken, which I cannot fry. I
have tried and tried to fry chicken and it is always awful. Well I
take that back I fix fresh green beans in the summer and home canned
ones in the winter and fried corn and okra and stuff like that all the
time, but I do keep about a 45-50 day supply of foods in the freezer.
But I also admit that if you have to eat out of that freezer every day
it starts to get old. Other times it has come in handy is when someone
dies in our church, I can have them a meal in just a hour or so ready
to go. I have had to do this on several occasions and then I have
friends that call and say I am sick can my husband come up and get
some chicken soup or chili or something such as that.

Now if I can get my quilting as down pat as I have my cooking I will
be doing just fine

Jacqueline

Old August 14th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz

The Australian Chicken sounds nice... never seen that 'downunder'....
lol

Dee in Oz

Kellie J. Berger wrote:
http://www.thefamilyfeast.com/what.html this is one that one of my fellow
cubscout moms started. She seems to always have a ton of business!
I would LOVE to cook in that kitchen but i like to make my own stuff and
tweak recipes more than i think this would allow. might go do some of the
cooking classes someday though.

Kellie

Old August 14th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

I left out the purpose of this email, it was to say I can see why
people would use a service such as this but on the other hand, you can
do the same yourself by just taking a day once a month or so and
cooking.

Jacqueline