finished another floor mosaic

Old January 9th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default finished another floor mosaic

The Flower Bride started out as a QNM series, must be more than 10 years
ago. I wasn't planning to make it, but decided to do the appliqué flowers
and garlands as a holiday take-along project because I had so little
appliqué experience. But of course, having completed the hard (for me) part,
and having nothing else to really use the pieces for, I started on the
quilt. More or less.

The center was a flea-market embroidery from around 1910, WOW showing a
girl's face with a fancy bonnet and lots of little flowers. It had been
lying in my stash for a while. The night after deciding to make the quilt, I
dreamed about a fairy tale read in childhood, The Flower Bride. It goes
something like this: There was once an old wizard (in Wales or Cornwall) who
wanted a wife like other men had, someone to tend his house, cook hot
dinners and praise his cleverness, etc. But none of the local ladies were
interested. So the wizard decided to make himself a bride out of flowers. He
gathered together a huge pile of flowers in the dark of the moon, shaped
them into the form of a woman, and spoke the words of power. And there she
was, eyes blue as gentians, cheeks like rose petals, etc. But he must have
put in too many wild flowers, because as soon as the flower bride heard the
wizard's offer, she changed herself into an owl and flew away.

So the embroidered panel went into the center, and the blocks used up just
about every bit of small flower print in the scrap basket. It took forever
to find an owl for the corner.
Sorry this ended up so long! But you asked.
Roberta in D

"Idahoqltr" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
You do beautiful work! I am impressed with the Flower Bride quilt too.
What is it's story?

Old January 9th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!
Wow! And even more gorgeous up close and in person. ;-)

(Did we check the bag to make sure it was all there before
you left the hotel in Munich? I think we did... .)

Absolutely gorgeous.

Ragmop/Sandy

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
And you can see the photo he

http://community.webshots.com/album/151241728OelHwe

It's the San Marco South Transept. I followed the group's advice on the
border, and I'm pleased with how it came out!
Roberta in D

Old January 9th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Roberta said:

The Flower Bride. It goes something like this: There was once an old
wizard (in Wales or Cornwall) who wanted a wife like other men had,
someone to tend his house, cook hot dinners and praise his cleverness,
etc. But none of the local ladies were interested. So the wizard decided
to make himself a bride out of flowers. He gathered together a huge pile
of flowers in the dark of the moon, shaped them into the form of a woman,
and spoke the words of power. And there she was, eyes blue as gentians,
cheeks like rose petals, etc. But he must have put in too many wild
flowers, because as soon as the flower bride heard the wizard's offer, she
changed herself into an owl and flew away.

Wasn't her name Blouddewed, or something like that? I think I may have
heard an alternate ending, too, but that was years ago. Something like the
man got the girl, but he did something wrong and lost her, with all of the
flowers scattering. I'd have to look it up.

Anastasia

--who used to be up on her Welsh/Celtic England fairy tales.

Old January 9th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yes, it's a Welsh tale, her name was Blodeuwedd (pronounced
blod-eh-with). The story was a part of the 'Mabinogion'. It's a fairly
complicated story which ends with Blodeuwedd being turned into an owl
for treachery. The Mabinogion is a really good read if you can get hold
of a copy (shouldn't be too hard).

In message , Teacher Gal
writes

--
Jo P
Malvern UK
Old January 10th 06, 11:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Treachery! It's been a good 50 years since I read the story in a book of
fairy tales for little kids, but obviously they edited out a lot of the dire
bits so as not to scare young readers!
Roberta in D

Old January 10th 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

All the bits were there! It was about half quilted when you saw it, took me
ages to get it done because other projects kept interfering.
Roberta in D

. net...

Old January 14th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You are one talented lady!!!!

Melissa in NJ

--
Pics of My Quilts: