Aimless musings about personality and quilting

Old December 6th 05, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Aimless musings about personality and quilting

Johanna Gibson wrote:

I'm a Sagittarius. Does this matter, as to my approach to quilt
making? I can't remember what it's supposed to say about my
personality. Just now I'm drawing and memorising diagrams of the
Scottish court system. I'd rather stab a pencil into my arm. It is
so dull. I hate rote memory tests. I would much rather write an
essay.

-- Jo in Scotland

You're being me again, Jo!

Right now, with yet another head cold (courtesy of the kids this time!),
I couldn't learn anything, and would get lost in a paper bag, never mind
a court!
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old December 6th 05, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I guess I tend to be a bit impatient. I like picking out material and
playing with color, I don't mind the cutting and piecing, but I find the
actual quilting very tedious. I am currently working on a fairly large
quilt and did stitch in the ditch by machine. Wrestling that monster
through the machine makes me very sore, now I am hand quilting the rest
of it. I hate having that heavy thing on my lap and trying to shift it
around over and over to get at the right angles. I don't mind the
binding process either. Mostly I just want to choose material and play
with colors. I love to grab a focus fabric from the stash and find
every conceivable combination of colors to go with it.

This morning while working at the food pantry, a client just yells out,
"Hey, anyone around here sew?" I'm usually reluctant to say yes in case
someone wants some garment sewn, and I don't do garments. I told her I
quilt and she said that she has 4 boxes of material for me. Yippee, I
love looking through free material.

Denise

Old December 7th 05, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Jessamy wrote:
An interesting way of looking at it Nann

I type as an ENFP

Words, ideas and possibilities spew effortlessly from them. Words are their
best friends. They dance around ideas, the more, the merrier. Imaginative,
spontaneous, original and enthusiastic, they have a knack for seeing other
possibilities, other dreams and options. The world is never as it is but as
it could be, as if it were but an artists sketch begging for colour. They
initiate change and often are prone to trespassing a few known boundaries to
take themselves and others where no one has been before. The status quo
tends to lack inspiration.

When inspired, they are fearless and tireless. Their energy will know no
limits unless red tape takes over. Routine drags them down. Their faith in
possibilities and belief in the benefit of change often inspire others to
follow. They are challenging, ingenious and innovative. They will give their
best to what appears to be an impossible challenge, a place unknown to man
or beast.

They use metaphors, stories, images and analogies to make their point.They
love theories and often shape their own. They see patterns emerging. Keen
improvisers, they are rarely caught off guard, there is always something up
their sleeve. The sky is the only limit.

They are sometimes entertainers, artists or otherwise engaged in public
demonstrations that allow their ideas to bloom. Their greatest difficulty is
not in initiating projects but in choosing among so many possibilities,
setting realistic boundaries, establishing priorities and correctly
assessing resources.

and it sounds about right to me lol (especially the last bit ;-) )

I rate 50% ISTP and 50% ESTP, but then I'm a gemini.

Analyzer Operator: ISTP

Theme is action-driven problem solving. Talents lie in operating all
kinds of tools and instruments and using frameworks for solving problems.
Keen observers of the environment, they are a storehouse of data and facts
relevant to analyzing and solving problems. Thrive on challenging situations
and having the freedom to craft clever solutions and do whatever it takes to
fix things and make them work. Take pride in their style and virtuosity,
which they seem to effortlessly acquire.

Promoter Executor: ESTP

Theme is promoting. Talents lie in persuading others and expediting to
make things happen. Have an engaging, winning style that others are drawn to.
Adept at picking up on minimal nonverbal cues. Anticipate the actions and
reactions of others and thus win their confidence. Like the excitement and
challenge of negotiating, selling, making deals, arbitrating, and in general,
achieving the impossible. Thrive on action and the freedom to use all
resources at hand to get desired outcomes.
--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old December 7th 05, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Gosh...
Are you my long lost twin sister? Other than the fact that I am a Taurus,
you have so perfectly described me it's scary :-)

Shona, peeking in, in sunny NZ
"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been sewing since 4 a.m. due to a pain-filled night. It's my
distraction when it gets rough. While mindlessly sewing strips for a
bunch of 4 patches for the Christmas Tennessee Waltz quilts, I got to
thinking about how my basic personality traits strictly dictate what
type of quilts I make. This type of sewing is when I do my best
"thinking".

I am attracted to very colorful, dramatic, high contrast, intricately
pieced quilts which I *am* capable of making- think Karen Stone, Jan
Krentz, Ruth McDowell, Velda Newman, Caryl Breyer Fallert, etc. Yet I
make simple quilts that I can speed piece and finish quickly but are
not very satisfying to me. I am basically lazy... as an accountant in
my working years, my employers always commented on how "efficient" I
was at work. I will put a lot of effort into finding the easiest,
quickest and most accurate way of doing things- anything. This works
right into my Virgo perfectionist tendencies. So, all my large quilts
are quite simple- blocks and settings I can strip piece, triangles I
can sew on grids, bits and pieces I can chain piece, etc. I could
never make a scrap quilt because I would go crazy not being able to cut
massive numbers of fabric at one time- even tho I love the look of
scrap quilts. Yet trying to make a Log Cabin quilt with 120 identical
blocks drives me nuts with the repetition. I push the limit and cut 10
or 12 layers of fabric with my rotary cutter. I just had to re-cut a
pile of 15.5 inch squares... they had some folds in the lower layers
because the fabrics shifted. grrrrrrr! This type of frustration with
myself can easily lead to another UFO. (I did re-cut and continue with
the blocks for these two Christmas quilts. Yay!)

On smaller quilts I can stretch and get more involved because by the
very nature of being small I can get that instant gratification I need.
If I try it on a large quilt, I have a guaranted UFO. By finally
recognizing this, I am slowing down on my stack of UFOs, WIPs and PIGs.
I usually can't force myself to go back and finish a quilt I've lost
interest in. I have oodles of patterns I've bought; PFP foundation
patterns printed out; and quilts marked in books and magazines.
Knowing my limitations keeps me from starting most of them- maybe
that's not all bad!

I like the design process and chosing fabrics. Designing lets me
challenge my brain now that I don't work outside our home and it makes
me feel creative. I have a good color memory- I can see a fabric in
the store and I will usually know if it will match a fabric I have at
home. I will pull bolts from the racks and then take out the swatch of
fabric that I am working with. I can see a print fabric and *know*
which would be the best colors and/or prints to use with it. Sometimes
I don't use my first choice and usually regret it when I try to break
away.

I am not too fond of the entire quilting proces. (gasp!) What keeps
me making quilts is that I love having the finished product and the
feeling of satisfaction I get from knowing I designed and made it. My
husband insists I am artistic, but I say no. I am able to draw out
just about any block, I can pick the fabrics, sew them together
accurately, and be very organized about it. I can look at a picture of
a calla lily bg and figure out what shapes I need to make one, but
without someone else's picture to copy, I am lost. While I am good at
math and working with numbers and shapes, I cannot fathom subjects like
English, spelling and sentence structure where there are always many
exceptions to the rules. I need black and white... carved in stone. I
need quilt police!

Now that I've confessed- tell me.... does your basic personality
completely controll your quilting? Have you found a way to overcome
the limitations you put on yourself by your way of thinking? Does this
make a lick of sense??? Should I go back to bed??? :-)

Leslie (almost afraid to hit "send" LOL) & The Furbabies in MO.

Old December 8th 05, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Leslie wrote: "...I am basically lazy... as an accountant in
my working years, my employers always commented on
how "efficient" I was at work. I will put a lot of effort
into
finding the easiest, quickest and most accurate way of
doing things- anything. This works right into my Virgo
perfectionist tendencies."

This fits me to a tee too, though I am Aquarius. I worked in
various accounting positions through the years and eliminated
so many wasted efforts and unnecessary steps in the daily
routines. Even so, efficiency and perfectionism are two things
I consider more as my faults than virtues, more like pesky gnats
that won't go away! LOL
A quote from David Dunham validates out types:
"Efficency is Intelligent Laziness"
Mickie (I am soooooo lazy)

Old December 8th 05, 03:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Leslie writes "...I am basically lazy... as an accountant in
my working years, my employers always commented on how "efficient"
I was at work. I will put a lot of effort into finding the easiest,
quickest and most accurate way of doing things- anything. This works

right into my Virgo perfectionist tendencies. ..."

This fits me perfectly too, though I am Aquarius - and a perfictionist.
(more of a fault than a virtue, believe me)
David Dunham got it labeled: "Efficiency is Intelligent Laziness!"

Mickie

Old December 8th 05, 03:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I once had a boss who said that he would take a lazy employee anytime,
because a lazy person would always find the easiest way to accomplish
a task.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

Old December 8th 05, 05:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I used to be smack in between INFP and ENFP. Since rabbinical school, I've
been learning how energized I get by being with people, so I bet I'd be a
solid ENFP now. It takes me forever to get unwound after services!

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old December 8th 05, 10:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

wrote:

"Efficency is Intelligent Laziness"

Like that - have filed it for future reference.

DH says he heard the other day
'Efficiency enables you to be lazy' but I'm not as sure about that one
- will have to think about it!
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~
Old December 8th 05, 03:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Are you a rabbi, Heidi?