Aimless musings about personality and quilting

Old December 5th 05, 07:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Aimless musings about personality and quilting

Polly, that sounds like when I was painting my downstairs bath. I started
with some morning glory vines on the top. Then I decided it needed
something below so I added a old looking wall with bricks exposed. Then it
needed something to brighten it up so I added flowers ontop of the wall to
make it look like an English garden. Then when you have a garden you need
some butterflies, and of course a few bees. Oh, I forgot the garden snail.
Then I thought a dragon fly or two would be nice.
No garden is complete without a bird house - if you have bird houses you
need some birds..........
Almost complete, when I added the chipmunks I knew I was finished.
--
Bonnie
NJ
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
news
And this from the artist - One of our problems is knowing when you're
done. Most of us will readily admit that a good friend for us would be
somebody to come whack us on the head when it's time to stop.
I have on the design wall just now blocks of appliquéd daisies on Bali.
They're sashed with 4-patches. Enough? No.
I embroidered some bees here and there.
Getting close.
Now I think the quilt is calling for a little brown mouse . . . and
perhaps a really fuzzy chenille lime caterpillar.
Will somebody come stop me? Polly

Old December 5th 05, 08:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Another Cancer here, and I feel pretty much the same! The most fun part of
quilting for me is to just start and let myself be surprised with what
happens. Although sometimes a bout of mindless chain stitching just fixes
whatever ails me. I also like having things done, but not if it involves
rigid deadlines.
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

"marbles_2" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
I feel I'm just about opposite! I'm a Cancer (don't know if this would
be a Cancer trait tho) and the creative part of the process is what I
enjoy. I love the color play, and textural feel of the fabrics, but I
really hate making endless cuts for the entire quilt. I want to start
right into putting the block together to see what it looks like, and
often the next blocks might be a little different as I change my mind
about what will go better. If there are curves or tricky pieces, I'll
give it a try and, as long as it's not too wonky, will use the block in
my project.

I couldn't make a big nine-patch quilt without going stir crazy with
the need to get more creative!! I really hate trying to figure out the
math and end up with improvised combinations of different fabrics if I
don't have enough. I do tend to hesitate cutting into my stash for fear
I'll need that later for something, and I save scraps.

I live far away from classes, so mostly what I do is from books or
patterns until I think I know what the technique is and then I stretch
it further. I'll look at the pictures and decide I can do it myself,
and those fancy art quilts are my biggest desire!! I'm a little
worried about the Quilt Police, but I can pretend to be innocent and
bat my short eyelashes and say sincerely, "but I didn't know!!!"

Annie

Old December 5th 05, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Bonnie, if you and I didn't cure Leslie of the notion that being artistic
was a good thing, nothing will. I would love to see that wonderful bathroom
art. Polly

ink.net...

Old December 5th 05, 11:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On 5 Dec 2005 06:28:22 -0800, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:

I've been sewing since 4 a.m. due to a pain-filled night. It's my
distraction when it gets rough. While mindlessly sewing strips for a
bunch of 4 patches for the Christmas Tennessee Waltz quilts, I got to
thinking about how my basic personality traits strictly dictate what
type of quilts I make. This type of sewing is when I do my best
"thinking".

I am attracted to very colorful, dramatic, high contrast, intricately
pieced quilts which I *am* capable of making- think Karen Stone, Jan
Krentz, Ruth McDowell, Velda Newman, Caryl Breyer Fallert, etc. Yet I
make simple quilts that I can speed piece and finish quickly but are
not very satisfying to me. I am basically lazy... as an accountant in
my working years, my employers always commented on how "efficient" I
was at work. I will put a lot of effort into finding the easiest,
quickest and most accurate way of doing things- anything. This works
right into my Virgo perfectionist tendencies. So, all my large quilts
are quite simple- blocks and settings I can strip piece, triangles I
can sew on grids, bits and pieces I can chain piece, etc. I could
never make a scrap quilt because I would go crazy not being able to cut
massive numbers of fabric at one time- even tho I love the look of
scrap quilts. Yet trying to make a Log Cabin quilt with 120 identical
blocks drives me nuts with the repetition. I push the limit and cut 10
or 12 layers of fabric with my rotary cutter. I just had to re-cut a
pile of 15.5 inch squares... they had some folds in the lower layers
because the fabrics shifted. grrrrrrr! This type of frustration with
myself can easily lead to another UFO. (I did re-cut and continue with
the blocks for these two Christmas quilts. Yay!)

On smaller quilts I can stretch and get more involved because by the
very nature of being small I can get that instant gratification I need.
If I try it on a large quilt, I have a guaranted UFO. By finally
recognizing this, I am slowing down on my stack of UFOs, WIPs and PIGs.
I usually can't force myself to go back and finish a quilt I've lost
interest in. I have oodles of patterns I've bought; PFP foundation
patterns printed out; and quilts marked in books and magazines.
Knowing my limitations keeps me from starting most of them- maybe
that's not all bad!

I like the design process and chosing fabrics. Designing lets me
challenge my brain now that I don't work outside our home and it makes
me feel creative. I have a good color memory- I can see a fabric in
the store and I will usually know if it will match a fabric I have at
home. I will pull bolts from the racks and then take out the swatch of
fabric that I am working with. I can see a print fabric and *know*
which would be the best colors and/or prints to use with it. Sometimes
I don't use my first choice and usually regret it when I try to break
away.

I am not too fond of the entire quilting proces. (gasp!) What keeps
me making quilts is that I love having the finished product and the
feeling of satisfaction I get from knowing I designed and made it. My
husband insists I am artistic, but I say no. I am able to draw out
just about any block, I can pick the fabrics, sew them together
accurately, and be very organized about it. I can look at a picture of
a calla lily bg and figure out what shapes I need to make one, but
without someone else's picture to copy, I am lost. While I am good at
math and working with numbers and shapes, I cannot fathom subjects like
English, spelling and sentence structure where there are always many
exceptions to the rules. I need black and white... carved in stone. I
need quilt police!

Now that I've confessed- tell me.... does your basic personality
completely controll your quilting? Have you found a way to overcome
the limitations you put on yourself by your way of thinking? Does this
make a lick of sense??? Should I go back to bed??? :-)

Leslie (almost afraid to hit "send" LOL) & The Furbabies in MO.

I see so much of me here, (except with me its the English I can do,
but am hopeless (and terrified) of maths. If I tried to change and be
more laid back I would be miserable! I just am incapable to taking the
easy option.

I can't bear disorganisation, and although I am not the tidiest worker
have to have big clearups and foldups after every untidy session.

It isn't really that I strive for perfection in a sort of prissy way,
I just 'have' to do the fiddly things . Actually, the more I think
about it it is an inability to say No! Summed up in the BOM where for
some unknown reason I am doing both the pieced and the applique, and
am feeling quite oppressed by the fact that I haven't finished the
November piecing yet! Perhaps I have a split personality - one half me
and one Quilt Police!

I'm a Virgo too, but hadn't realised that this annoying perfectionist
trait was due to that!

A cure? - don't think there is one. You can't change the way you are,
though if you think about it you can see the way your upbringing made
you like that (or I can anyway). Just accept it - its the way you are
that everyone loves, isn't it. Just think "Now I am grown up this is
what I WANT to do". (and I do want to finish that block!)
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~who feels very guilty that DD has the same
trait and she's Scorpio.

Old December 6th 05, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oh, yes! I'm a Gemini and the two parts of my personality are always at war
when it comes to quilting. There is the one part that wants to do something
beautiful, artistic, and free-flowing. But the other part is very logical
and rigid, must follow a pattern, must have everything planned before the
first cut happens. Unfortunately, the rigid part usually wins, or pitches an
anxiety fit.

I started out whole-heartedly throwing myself into quilting nearly four
years ago, starting with a queen-sized quilt. I've made many, many quilts
since then, though recently I have been feeling burn out. My sewing machine
went in for repairs, and I thought I would hyperventilate with just the
thought of it being gone. But then, I adjusted and when it came back I felt
a bit resentful because it meant I had to go back to sewing! I'm not sure
where that came from.

Moderation? Who, me?

Trixie

oups.com...

Old December 6th 05, 12:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Good topic, Leslie!

My MBTI is ESFJ. (If these initialisms are only so many letters to you,
search "MBTI." There are MANY websites devoted to the Myers-Briggs Type
Indicator.)

ESFJ, in one paragraph: "Tthe dominant quality in their lives is an active
and intense caring about people and a strong desire to bring harmony into
their relationships. ESFJs bring an aura of warmth to all that they do, and
they naturally move into action to help others, to organize the world around
them, and to get things done. Sensing orients their feeling to current facts
and realities, and thus gives their feeling a hands-on pragmatic quality.
ESFJs take their work seriously and believe others should as well."

The effect on my quilting: I like to think out loud, to talk about what I'm
working on. I like organization, so my quilting area is (fairly) tidy--I
cut up scraps and file them, my stash is in order--I pretty much put things
away. In fact, if I have too many projects out at the same time I feel
distinctly uncomfortable. Making a list of my projects/obligations calms me
down.

I also like closure. Too many unresolved tasks/issues/whatever are
disquieting. In quilting that refers to WIPs and UFOs. I just had an
epiphany about this! I know that the "official" definition of a finished
object is one that is quilted, bound, and labeled. Very often I can settle
for a nearly finished object--sewn and bordered, but not necessarily
quilted, etc. Three specific examples of the disquiet: I made 9-patch
blocks for a specific project. There were a stack of blue-and-blue and a
stack of red-and-cream. When I put them on the design wall they just didn't
work. Having those stacks of 9-patches bothered the heck out of me. Last
month I did this with the blues:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...11240490lqFhCf
Last evening I made some snowball blocks (cream w/ red corners) to alternate
with the reds.

Nann
off to Get Things Done today!

Old December 6th 05, 01:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default VERY Aimless musings about personality and quilting - ramblings really!

An Aquarian checking in here.

I love designing, and I really love choosing the fabrics (usually about
three times as many as I really need but better too many than . . . . .
right?). But applique (by hand using my own weird methods) is what I would
do all the time if I could. Other factors limit my sewing pretty much now,
so I have turned to teaching and have the joy of "working on" about 12
quilts at any given time.

I have literally hundreds of sketches and drawings - even detailed patterns
and cutting layouts - for quilts of all types that will never be made now.
When I drew them I was fit and healthy - and working 80 hours a week to be
able to afford to retire and start a quilt design and teaching career. Now
I am retired, and can't sew much. Moral - do not put off!

- "I will put a lot of effort into finding the easiest,
- quickest and most accurate way of doing things- anything. "
Now this sounds just like me. I will test and refine things time after time
before teaching because I hate the idea of wasted effort or resources. It
just doesn't sit well with me. I will ponder quietly about a design or
pattern for weeks sometimes, trying to figure out a better way to make what
I want, and then just sit down and write the whole thing down in one hit.

I cannot get interested in making small quilts myself, but am equally
appalled at the thought of making one of the "monsters" that I see others
making (a friend just finished a 10' X 10' pieced quilt). This does not
mean that I do not admire them for what they are, just that I don't want to
make them myself. I would rather make placemats and table runners than wall
hangings.

I have literally thousands of books, magazines and patterns here, but can
truthfully claim never to have followed a pattern (or a recipe for that
matter) in my life. I always rescale, rearrange, adjust, whatever. Or I
just take elements from several sources and dream up my own take on the
theme. My lack of interest in duplicating anything is a large part of my
collection of unfinished projects. I design, test. make enough of a pattern
to be sure it works, and then . . . . . just lose interest.

I have been told that Aquarians are often artistic, but I cannot see myself
as an artist. I used to aspire to being a craftman (I refuse to call myself
"craftswoman") but as I feel absolutely no compulsion to finish everything I
start I do not feel comfortable claiming such a title. BTW - this doesn't
mean I never finish anything, just that I am not compulsive about finishing
everything.

A former boss once described me as a "Renaissance personality" in that I
dabble in many fields, and can show promise, but unless my interest is
sustained by seeing an application for what I learn I will pass on to
another subject. That was probably pretty accurate. I draw designs from
architecture, arts (pottery, printing, jewellery design, etc), engineering
plans, biology, poetry, music, whatever I have read or seen. If it
interests me I will study it, but I haven't finished any of the three
degrees I started because my private study had already taken me beyond the
basics and I hated being held back to dot the I's and cross T's by
completing a set of meaningless (to me) prescribed tests.

My quilts - no matter how complex the design - are always practical in that
they are meant to be used and washed and used again. I dislike seeing my
finished works - quilts, embroidery, pottery, etc - packed carefully away
and preserved. I would rather see them used and worn out.

I am like you, Leslie, in that I seem to have a good colour memory, but I
would not say I was good with colour generally. My graphic art was often
monochromatic or B&W by choice. I have learned to put colours together but
it is not something that has ever been easy for me.

I do not like quilting, and I hate the whole pin and tack thing. Quilting
is not a major feature in the quilts I make, but I do enjoy designing
quilting patterns to enhace quilts. Why? Laziness maybe, or just unwilling
to persevere until I get it right. I machine quilt individual blocks for
applique, and I have machine quilted large quilts in the past, but only with
very simple patterns. I learned hand quilting and loved it, but didn't have
time back then and now can't see well enough. I love to see beautiful
quilting on quilts, but unless I find some poor stitcher who is willing to
do EXACTLY what I want on my quilts for me (with me bending over her
shoulder to check on it) I will not have the quilting as a major feature of
the quilts I make.

I enjoy working out the maths in quilts, and rewriting badly written
instructions is easy for me. I often have other quilters bring me patterns
and ask me to write a clearer set of instructions and a work plan for them.
I spent most of my Air Force Logistics career doing similar work so it's
easy for me now. But I have no time for the Quilt Police. I teach all my
"girls" that if they really think they have a better way to do something
they should try it, and if it works come show me. For years I was told by
experienced quilters that things could only be done a certain way. When I
finally tried my weird variations I found they worked for me, and now
prequilting blocks for applique, pressing seams open and other "heresies"
are methods recognised and accepted by all but the most rigid (you know -
the ones who will tell you it's not really a quilt unless you hand piece and
hand quilt the entire thing using 200yo methods!)

So Leslie - did you go back to bed? 'Cos I should! It's about 1am and I am
up now for about the same reasons you were last night. Boofhead is snoring
loudly in the kitchen (I can hear him from the next room) and Donut has
fallen into a doze leaning against my leg waiting to go to bed with me, poor
baby!

Good night - I hope you did get a good night's rest eventually

--

Cheryl
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

Old December 6th 05, 02:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

wrote:

[...]

I'm a Sagittarius. Does this matter, as to my approach to quilt
making? I can't remember what it's supposed to say about my
personality. Just now I'm drawing and memorising diagrams of the
Scottish court system. I'd rather stab a pencil into my arm. It is
so dull. I hate rote memory tests. I would much rather write an
essay.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old December 6th 05, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

An interesting way of looking at it Nann

I type as an ENFP

Words, ideas and possibilities spew effortlessly from them. Words are their
best friends. They dance around ideas, the more, the merrier. Imaginative,
spontaneous, original and enthusiastic, they have a knack for seeing other
possibilities, other dreams and options. The world is never as it is but as
it could be, as if it were but an artists sketch begging for colour. They
initiate change and often are prone to trespassing a few known boundaries to
take themselves and others where no one has been before. The status quo
tends to lack inspiration.

When inspired, they are fearless and tireless. Their energy will know no
limits unless red tape takes over. Routine drags them down. Their faith in
possibilities and belief in the benefit of change often inspire others to
follow. They are challenging, ingenious and innovative. They will give their
best to what appears to be an impossible challenge, a place unknown to man
or beast.

They use metaphors, stories, images and analogies to make their point.They
love theories and often shape their own. They see patterns emerging. Keen
improvisers, they are rarely caught off guard, there is always something up
their sleeve. The sky is the only limit.

They are sometimes entertainers, artists or otherwise engaged in public
demonstrations that allow their ideas to bloom. Their greatest difficulty is
not in initiating projects but in choosing among so many possibilities,
setting realistic boundaries, establishing priorities and correctly
assessing resources.

and it sounds about right to me lol (especially the last bit ;-) )

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old December 6th 05, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

http://www.astrologychartsonline.com/Sagittarius.htm

there you go.. it might explain things.

--
Jessamy (also a Sagittarius)