[OT] HELP!

Old April 2nd 04, 08:25 AM
NightMist

The salt in the bath salts that our kiri makes are epsom salts.
Her base (unscented, no botanicals etc) recipe is supposed to be
similar to a number of commercial recipes sans the fillers.
Definitly _not_ the same as table salt. I shudder to think what the
traffic jam at the bathroom would be like if you put epsom salts in
the salt shaker!

NightMist
wondering how this got to be two threads

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 20:51:41 GMT, "Kellie J. Berger"
wrote:

My Morton Iodized Salt ingredients list....
salt, calcium silicate, dextrose and potassium iodide
the dextrose is a corn product which would probably (?) exclude it from
being Kosher Pareve.....if memory serves right....

I also have Morton Course Kosher Salt (for the DDs to use) ingredients:
Salt, Yellow Prussiate of Soda (anti-caking agent)
it has directions on the side of the box for Koshering meat or poultry --
will have too peruse that someday.....

on another note... are bath salts an altogether different creature than
other course salts?

Kellie
bergerk at sbcglobal dot net

What? None of my salts list anything weird or sand like - not the
kosher, not the pickling, not the sea salt and not the plain old
everyday salt. What brand do you have and what does it actually say on
the label?

Couple years ago I even went to Cargill salt's open house. Very cool
but no sand in the equipment :-) The big mountain of salt looked like
snow and they told us that Macy's department store did a winter fashion
shoot there so they had people dressed in ski clothes posing in the sand.

marcella

--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell
Old April 2nd 04, 11:14 AM
bogus address

okay... one of the recipes for corned beef has salt peter in it....
WHERE do you get that?

Chinese food markets are the cheapest source.

and what is it's purpose foodwise (I know it's reputation)...
is it a spice? does it "cure" the meat? Pickle it? what?

Preservative and antioxidant. Keeps red meat red (naturally it
goes dark brown).

======== Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce ========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Old April 3rd 04, 01:21 AM
Dr. Quilter

http://travel.guardian.co.uk/countri...414004,00.html

Lizzy Taylor wrote:

Julia Altshuler wrote:

Now you've got me curious about the etymology of "corned" as it
pertains to corned beef. I thought corned = cured, but it might have
to do with the size of the crystal. I'll need an OED for this.

Try this:

http://www.kitchenproject.com/history/CornedBeef.htm

Lizzy

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old April 3rd 04, 01:24 AM
Dr. Quilter

I had no clue they put sand in the salt (though I am not too worried
about it) but while we think of salt as NaCl, actually the word means
many different salts of many different elements, right?

NightMist wrote:

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:23:34 GMT, Marcella Tracy Peek
wrote:

In article ,
(NightMist) wrote:

It is coarser than standard table salt, is not iodized and it is not
cut with sand (read your salt box and then look up the ingriedients).

I imagine it is either prayed over or inspected or whatever by the
people that do those things as well.

NightMist

What? None of my salts list anything weird or sand like - not the
kosher, not the pickling, not the sea salt and not the plain old
everyday salt. What brand do you have and what does it actually say on
the label?

The salt we currently have (a store brand) contains sodium
silicoaluminate, a fine particle inert silica coumpound.
Most of the store brands of salt we have gotten prior to this box,
have contained silicon dioxide, sand, to keep the salt free flowing.

I thought we had laws in this country against sanding the salt, but
apparently if you list it on the package outright it is OK. I gather,
from looking at the various pages and such, that they are allowed to
use up to 2% . A small amount perhaps, but I have always had this
funny notion that a box of salt should have but one ingredient, salt.

We used to get either pickling or kosher salt, but our kiri has
hypothyroidism and her doctor wants her to get as much iodine as she
can. I didn't know they made iodized kosher salt, and have never seen
it locally or I would be buying it.

BTW ran across this whilst trying to find out what sodium
silicoaluminate was:

http://www.saltinstitute.org/additivetable.html

NightMist

Old April 3rd 04, 11:06 PM
NightMist

Sand in the salt is just one of my pet peeves. I mean it was outlawed
as far back as the Codex of Hamurabi and considered a fraudulent
buisness practice for centuries after. I understand why they do it,
and why they are allowed to do it, but it just feels _wrong_.

Sure salt is a word used to describe a number of compounds in
chemistry, any acid combined with any base yields a salt plus water,
le de da and so on. But I doubt that if a company packaged sodium
ferrocyanide and sold it in grocery stores as salt, that people would
be too thrilled with that company. Even though they would be in the
clear so far as truth in advertiseing and etc goes, and nobody would
become ill of it (excluding possible allergic reactions yadayadayada)
Theoreticly, they could sell a great many salt substitutes as salt as
well, but they don't.

NightMist

NightMist wrote:

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:23:34 GMT, Marcella Tracy Peek

Old April 4th 04, 02:12 AM
Julia Altshuler

NightMist wrote:

Sure salt is a word used to describe a number of compounds in
chemistry, any acid combined with any base yields a salt plus water,
le de da and so on. But I doubt that if a company packaged sodium
ferrocyanide and sold it in grocery stores as salt, that people would
be too thrilled with that company. Even though they would be in the
clear so far as truth in advertiseing and etc goes, and nobody would
become ill of it (excluding possible allergic reactions yadayadayada)
Theoreticly, they could sell a great many salt substitutes as salt as
well, but they don't.

I used to own a small business specializing in catering for special
diets. A client requested food with no salt. I prepared it for her.
She complained that she'd bought a gadget that you put in the food,
pressed the button, and it lit a little light from 1-5 with 5 being the
highest and indicating a lot of salt. The lentil soup had way too much.
I bought the gadget from her. The water registered no salt. The
onions, carrots, celery, spices and lentils registered no salt. (The
gadget didn't really work on dry foods, but you get the idea.) Slow
cook them together, and the thing lit up.

My boyfriend had a look. Sure enough, the gadget wasn't measuring
sodium which is what we think of when we say we want to cut down on
salt. It was a miniature om meter that was measuring the practically
all the mineral content which are literally, chemically, SALTS. I
bought potassium chloride from the drug store and disolved it in water.
The gadget lit up for it.

I explained it to the customer. I lost the customer anyway. I don't
think she wanted to believe that she'd trusted a device that was so
misleading in its advertising instead of wondering about basic
chemistry. (Admittedly, this isn't common knowledge about the specific
meanings of salt and sodium. I had no idea. But at least I questioned
and found out.) I'm still furious with myself for not contacting
whatever government agency could have made the company take that thing
off the market. I'm sure it mislead a lot of people.

--Lia

Old April 5th 04, 05:46 PM
Dr. Quilter

actually people that have NaCl problems can buy potassium chloride
instead... as salt.. right?

Old April 5th 04, 10:36 PM
NightMist

I have never seen potassium chloride marketed in a grocery as salt,
only as salt substitue. Wait, maybe not, I once saw something labled
as "sodium free salt" at the market. As I am on the opposite end of
the spectrum from needing low sodium, and I was no longer looking out
for things for my MIL, I didn't look at it.
Generaly people do not think in terms of chemistry at the grocery. If
it is labled salt, they do not look to see if it states a chemical
composition. There must be some FDA labling rule about it when I stop
and think about it, because I have seen salt listed in the ingredients
on a salt box and in other food without it specifying exactly what
salt.

NightMist

Old April 7th 04, 07:35 AM
Michelle

Yep! That's the one used as the salt substitute.
Shelly

--
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we

take, but by the moments that take our breath away.