Can I have your machine opinion?

Old November 28th 03, 04:09 AM
A&T

Default Can I have your machine opinion?

Hi,

I have been lurking in your newsgroup for about 2 months! I started quilting
about 1 1/2 years ago and fell in love.

I am looking into buying a machine to stay semi-permanently on my Grace
machine quilter. So, my Elna can continue to piece.

I am looking at the Juki TL 93E and the Brother PQ1500.

Anyone have either one of these and do you like them?

Thanks,
Tricia

Old November 28th 03, 05:03 AM
nzl*

hiya Trish,
well now u'r out, aint no going back.
how'd ya keep quiet for two whole months?
i think i lasted two days. oh well.
now u'r out, you must know the drill by now.
qi's, chocolate and must send an FQ to the first one who welcomes you.
snort, just kidding.
we'd love to hear all abour your quilting/quilts, got pix online anywhere
for us to drool over?
check here for some info on some sewing machines. i believe these are
opinions take from rctq posters.
http://kckintz.home.att.net/
and happy T Day.
jeanne
born/raised in california but been down here nearly 27yrs. its the wrong
season for the T Day vegetables and no one here knows why i'd bother when
we're so close to doing it all again on xmas day, oh well...

"A&T" wrote...

Old November 28th 03, 05:08 AM
Taria

The Brother 1500 is great to MQ on. I don't have a frame of
any kind for it though.
It is fast. The thread cutter is nifty and it makes a nice stitch.
Taria

Old November 28th 03, 05:59 AM
Kate T.

I was reading about these machines and the Juki is made in Japan vs the
other one made in Tiawan. If that makes any difference. The Juki is about
100 dollars more.

And welcome to the cyber quilt frame. You'll learn a lot so enjoy.

Kate T.
South Mississippi

hlink.net...

Old November 28th 03, 08:17 AM
A&T

I am kinda shy! That's how I lasted two months.

That was a great website. Thanks.

I had done some research on line but I wanted opinions from someone who had
actually used the machines and that's what was there.

The FQ thing isn't a bad idea! I would be rushing to be the first one to
welcome anyone!!!

I'm not very computer savvy, so I don't have a website. I do know how to
send pictures through email now, so maybe a website isn't too far off!

I have several unfinished projects that I was waiting for my frame to quilt.
They are completely pieced, but not quilted. Now, I want to wait again for
my new machine. I read somewhere that is called UFO's but I am not exactly
sure what that stands for. Unfinished objects?

I feel so lucky to have such a supportive DH. He went with me to a local
quilt show, and decided I shouldn't struggle to fit my quilts through my
small machine and that was how I got the frame. After the frame, the machine
still didn't work really well, so that is why I am getting the new machine.
I have a twenty year old Elna and the feed dogs won't drop, so free motion
quilting is impossible!

No, you all can't have him --- He's mine!!!!

Thanks for making me feel welcome. Is there some kind of format to introduce
myself?

Tricia

Old November 28th 03, 09:49 AM
Valkyrie

"A&T" wrote in message
link.net...

Thanks for making me feel welcome. Is there some kind of format to

introduce
myself?

Tricia

And a great big warm welcome right back at you!! It seems the most
acceptable introductory format procedure to introduce one's self in this
group is to purchase a small box of excellent quality chocolate, or a really
HUGE box of the not quit mediocre chocolate for each member of this group.
In this should also be enclosed a FQ and generous gift certificate to a
fabric store of their choice or just your credit card number and expiration
date, which will save you a lot of running around and research. All our
addresses will of course be sent upon request and FedEx usually gets the
chocolate delivered the fastest. Other than that you 're off to a great
start!

Val

*whispering* ya think she's gonna go along with this?

Old November 28th 03, 12:40 PM
Joan8904

I've got the Brother originally for my Handiquilter, but I also use it for
piecing. Great machine for my needs!

joan
joan o'reilly
http://members.aol.com/Joan8904/index.html

Old November 28th 03, 03:34 PM
Betty in Wi

I have not used either---but one of the owner's of our LQS who is also a
long arm quilter really wants a Juki for quilting smaller items.

Betty

Old November 28th 03, 04:18 PM
..Mickie Swall..

Free motion should be possible on any machine - if you have the
darning foot that fits it, set the presserfoot pressure as light as
possible, and the stitch length is debatable (some set it to 0 but
on my machine it doesn't make a difference with no pressure).
As a note - I do some free-motion with a walking foot by setting the
presserfoot pressure to "---" (less than zero) This comes in very
handy when I want some curves or somesuch in the middle of a
straight line of stitching!
The Juki and Brother are practically interchangeable, it seems
whoever has which swears by the one they own! If you are willing
to double your money output, you also might want to consider a
Janome MC6500 - it is the Juki's and Brother's brand new neighbor
with lots of built-in bells and whistles!
Hey Tricia, congrats on delurking and good luck with your machine
choice!
Mickie

"A&T" wrote in message
link.net...
snipped
I had done some research on line but I wanted opinions from someone who had
actually used the machines and that's what was there.

I'm not very computer savvy, so I don't have a website. I do know how to
send pictures through email now, so maybe a website isn't too far off!

I feel so lucky to have such a supportive DH. He went with me to a local
quilt show, and decided I shouldn't struggle to fit my quilts through my
small machine and that was how I got the frame. After the frame, the machine
still didn't work really well, so that is why I am getting the new machine.
I have a twenty year old Elna and the feed dogs won'Ñjñ´op, so free motion
quilting is impossible!

Tricia

Old November 28th 03, 04:53 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article k.net,
"A&T" wrote:

Hi,

I have been lurking in your newsgroup for about 2 months! I started quilting
about 1 1/2 years ago and fell in love.

I am looking into buying a machine to stay semi-permanently on my Grace
machine quilter. So, my Elna can continue to piece.

I am looking at the Juki TL 93E and the Brother PQ1500.

Anyone have either one of these and do you like them?

Thanks,
Tricia

I have the Brother 1500. I haven't ever sewed on the Juki, so I can't
really give you a comparison.

I love the Brother machine. I cannot make it do ugly meandering
quilting. No matter how fast or slow I sew, no matter how tighly I make
the curves, the back side is wonderful. No loopy threads ever.

Lately, I've been using it for piecing, and I really love it. My Elna
has been hanging out in its case more and more.

marcella