Sewing Tables

Old October 2nd 03, 01:10 AM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Default Sewing Tables

KCK had posted that the table he used from IKEA had been discontinued.
I wandered into the new local IKEA and asked the table guy...hey, do you
happen to have the "Effectiv" table still? He said "the factory in
Poland where they were made burned down that's why we have a new kind of
table with the metal supports. Our store never got any because we
opened after that whole situation. However, they have tons of them at
the Vancouver (Canada) store so if you ever go there you can still get
them. They will not ship them into the US because we import them into
Canada, and they won't let us then export them into another country."

So....seems that you Canadian quilters may still be in luck.

For the rest of us, it's either call around or Road Trip!

marcella
Old October 2nd 03, 01:52 AM
KCK

Hi Marcella,

Well, the clerk's information was "pretty" close, geographically. :-)
After reading your post, I just looked at the label on the bottom of the
tabletop and it says "Made in Slovakia" and interestingly enough, the
metal base was "Made in the Peoples Republic of China" so it's a shame
that they couldn't find another place to make the simple wooden tops.

Thanks for the heads-up where some of us can still find the Effektiv
tables. I had an email from a guy in San Francisco who found the
tabletops in stock, but they were out of the bases, so he improvised and
got some different legs.

--

KCK ( in Texas)
Take out the DOG before sending email

Website: http://kckintz.home.att.net/

Old October 3rd 03, 09:36 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

This table right here would be perfect, though a bit small (c. 2.5' x 4').
I got it at Price Club in So. Calif. I've seen nothing similar up north. I
got a look-alike at Office Depot, but the legs are a bit flimsy.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old October 6th 03, 05:26 AM
KCK

Ruth,

How would you describe the "bit flimsy" legs on the table from the
office supply store? I see that office supply companies have tables
with folding legs and tables that are supported by legs that look like
an upside-down "T".

"Ruth in Happy Camp" wrote ...

Old October 6th 03, 06:08 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

The metal is not as good (thinner maybe), and some holes for the screws do
not match exactly, so the screws did not go all the way through. The table
was a bit wobbly and the top would tilt if heavy items were not centered,
(would be OK if I'd wanted a drawing table!). A visiting nephew
re-assembled it for me and it seems OK now. He might have drilled new
holes.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp