Cheating the binding

Old September 19th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Default Cheating the binding

Not a bigger seam. Using your rotary cutter and ruler, trim the excess
backing and batting 1/4" from the edge of the quilt (= 1/2" from the seam
line). This should fill up a double fold binding that started with a 2.5"
strip.
Roberta in D

"redpenner" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ups.com...
Great nickname, Polly!

What I have is a 1/4 inch or sometimes 3/8 inch seam (sewing binding to
front of quilt), and I use a 2-1/2 inch wide strip (before folding
double). I don't like the look of a really skinny binding either, so I
like to have at least 1/4 inch showing on the front. That usually
leaves me with a binding that has top/batting/backing in it for most of
its width, but it doesn't usually extend to the very edge -- maybe 1/8
inch at most is empty.

I guess I should go with a 1/2 inch seam at least. I don't want to
mess up the pattern on top though.

polly esther wrote:
Well, now, you all just move over and pass the chocolate. I want to
climb
right in here, punnies and all, even though I'm not just real sure what
we're talking about - not that such ever stopped me. If 'redpenner'
means
that her binding is thin and empty of quilt top, batting and backing, it
probably is going to wear itself threadbare in no time at all. Or are
her
local self-appointed quilt police talking about a fat cording/piping sort
of
look - which might be interesting but sounds like a heap of ado about
nothing. Anybody know what 'ado' is? Polly

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote
"Kate G." wrote "And if I did, I'd tell them to stuff it. "

She says with a smile when talking about "padded" bindings! Oh you
are
too.... too PUNNY!

Kate in MI (who was in need of a giggle!)

Glad someone got it!

Old September 19th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
redpenner

Thanks again everybody for the advice. I ended up "padding" the
binding in my current project because the 3/8 inch margin I had left it
just way too thin. Now it looks a little plump, but I think better
than if I'd left it. On the next one I'll probably leave a longer
margin. I've been experimenting with fusible batting on my smaller
quilts, and have found it fills up a binding really nicely -- if I just
pull it a bit closer, I'll eliminate the empty bit at the very edge.

I've only been quilting for 9 months and my quilts aren't really
prize-winning material yet, but hopefully will get better. I don't
have many quilting skills yet, so I've had them quilted
"professionally" and have been somewhat disappointed at the quality I
can get locally. I'm really hesitant to show them at the show, but I
guess I'll go for it.

Thanks again for your support and advice!

Old September 19th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Hello again Redpenner:
If you are disappointed in the quilting
services, perhaps it is time for YOU
to quilt your own quilts. With machine
quilting, starting with easy straight
line grids, then working up to stipple
or meander quilting will give you
experience and confidence. In hand
quilting, following simple shapes is a
good way to start.

Meantime, WELCOME to the news group!!
The only RCTQ rule you really need to
know: Send a pound or two of chocolate
to the Official Chocolate
Tasting Office, conveniently located
here in my Palace in Virginia, USA. I
will taste test if for you and report
via E-Mail. No need to thank me! It is
my selfless volunteer service
to the RCTQ Community.

TTFN, PAT in VA/USA

redpenner wrote:
Thanks ...cut...
I've only been quilting for 9 months and my quilts aren't really
prize-winning material yet, but hopefully will get better. I don't
have many quilting skills yet, so I've had them quilted
"professionally" and have been somewhat disappointed at the quality I
can get locally. ...cut...

Old September 19th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

If it looks a little 'plump' for your liking, press it! You'll still
have the binding filled, but it won't look overly stuffed.
..
In message .com,
redpenner writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 20th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho

We used to have a quilter that donated quilts to our Project Linus chapter
that she bound with purchased satin binding. She sewed it to the edges of
the quilt so that the wide, wide binding had nothing in it at all. I'm sure
those bindings wore out pretty quickly besides being really flimsy.
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

ink.net...

Old September 20th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Well, now nice to see you here, Donna. I happened upon some red fleece and
satin binding and was planning to make some Hoho blankets for little ones.
I'll do my best to make sure there are no empty weak spots. Polly

Old September 20th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho

Polly, we've gotten some really nice fleece blankets bound with satin
binding. One of my favorites was one bound with "rainbow" binding - it was
really pretty! One of the ways we've started dressing up plain color fleece
blankets is to applique something on them. Sometimes we just applique
geometric shapes from patterned or contrasting fleece scraps. Someone just
gave us some panels with VW cars with flowers, love, etc., on them. They're
really cute & are going to really dress up a plain fleece blanket.
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

nk.net...

Old September 26th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

What I have heard/seen/ been told by judges and those that have helped
clerk during judges......
Most judges want the binding to be "full", in other words it should be
the same thickness as the rest of the quilt. A little more is okay, but
not less. You don't want the binding to be just the fabric of the
binding, it should be snug around the whole quilt sandwich.

HTH,
Pati, in Phx

redpenner wrote:

What I meant was, the ladies were telling me that the judges at the
quilt show would criticize my quilts for the flat binding. Not that I
care what the guild ladies say, but I do have hopes one day of winning
some kind of ribbon at a show...

Jessamy wrote:

many times "the ladies at the quilt guild" are trying to be quilt police and
make people do things their way - since there are no quilt police, do what
*you* like, and smile and mumble something to the ladies in question when
they next try to police ;-)
--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Border and binding help - How do you do them? Charlotte Hippen Quilting 47 March 3rd 07 05:15 AM
Binding Debbie Quilting 13 September 26th 06 12:22 AM
I just can't get the binding right QuiltsWithCatFur Quilting 18 February 24th 06 11:35 AM
binding technique -- new to me, YMMV the black rose Quilting 22 April 1st 05 05:07 PM
Stuffing the binding & Simon Leslie in Missouri Quilting 21 May 11th 04 03:52 PM