Complex Look - Simple Sewing (was Where do you find the time)

Old September 24th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default Complex Look - Simple Sewing (was Where do you find the time)

"IMS" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 14:43:03 GMT, "Kathy Applebaum"

-- I forgot to ask, Kathy, it looks like you also did your beautiful quilt
-- using the 'quilt as you go' method ? I have been thinking of trying
-- that method out.

Nah, I have a longarm. [insert joke here]

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old September 24th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

They are squares that are made from four triangles. (Imagine cutting the
square along the two diagonals; the four pieces you get are the pieces the
square is made from.)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

"joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm confused. Those blocks look like squares, not triangles.

joan
Kathy Applebaum wrote:
You've got it exactly. To make matching the strips easy, I put a pin
straight down through a particular point on the pattern, matching up the
same point on all the patterns. I do this every so many inches (usually
about 6"), and it matches up like a charm.

I cut the triangles in alternating directions so there's no waste, and I
end
up with an "a" block and a "b" block, depending on which way the triangle
faced. Sometimes I mix up the blocks in the quilt, sometimes I just use
one
or the other. Depends on how many blocks I need and my whim.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

"Patti" wrote in message
Yes. I think I see what you mean. I'm going to have a look and see
what
I've got.
Can I just confirm: you place the 4 strips of stripes (good phrase
that!)
on top of one another, exactly matching the position where the patterns
are the same, then cut right-angled triangles from the pile of
strips? -
pinning to make sure nothing moves during the cutting.

The four on top of one another make one matching square?

Hope I've read you correctly. I do like this kind of device, even
though
I've not tried it yet.
.
In message , Kathy
Applebaum writes

"Patti" wrote in message
What a terrific idea, Kathy. Your Dad's quilt is beautiful.

It would work with most stripey fabric I guess - with different
results
of
course?

Yes, it does work with any stripe, but it works best when the pattern
on
the
stripe is symmetrical down the length of the stripe. (ie there's a
mirror
image at some point on the stripe.) That way you can (with careful
cutting
and pinning) get it to match exactly on the seam, and people have to
really
look hard to figure out how you did it. But there's something to be
said
for
the stripes that aren't symmetrical -- since there's no way to match
them,
you don't have to be all that careful! LOL

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old September 24th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Jacqueline" wrote in message
Kathy I love this quilt, well actually both of them but the one for
your dad is breath taking to me. We are having storms here now and I
am unable to acess your yahoo pictures, but can you tell me about how
much fabric that quilt for your dad took?

That one was a couple of years ago, so I'm not sure at all. But I can give
you some clues.

Now that I've made a few of these, I usually buy 4 yards when I find a good
stripe. Because I usually alternate these with plain blocks, 4 yards will
give me plenty of blocks for one or two bed sized quilts, often with fabric
left over for a small border. I did a charity quilt last winter that used
half the blocks from a 4 yard stripe, and it finished 80" x 80".

You can certainly buy less than 4 yards (I think my first one was two
yards), but I like having more blocks to play with. (Often I make the blocks
up long before I have a specific quilt in mind.) Also 4 yards gives me long
enough strips that if I don't get four strips out of a width of fabric, I
can cut shorter lengths and still make it work.

I found some material at The VA quilter that I think would work great
with that, now I am not sure. I looked at it hours ago and am just
now looking at this fabric and that was quite by accident. Here is
the link to the fabric and if this isn't the quilt that I think would
look good with this fabric, I will have to wait until I can acess web
pages again. The VA quilter is the last one that I could acess prior
to the storm.

Jacqueline

http://www.virginiaquilter.com/cgi-l...5+11590996 43

I think this would be gorgeous! It's not symmetrical, so you won't have
exact matches at the seams, but that takes the stress out of having to make
it match! (Okay, I'm way more anal retentive about matching these up than
most people are.) Just make sure the straight lines of the stripe match up,
and it will look great.

One way to see how it will look is to print out 4 copies of the fabric
picture on your printer, line them up, and cut your triangles. If you print
more than 4 copies, you can see how it will look if you cut it at different
spots. You might decide you like one spot better than another, so you'll try
to get that spot in every square. Or you might decide you like them all, so
you'll just cut away.

Old September 24th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Sunny" wrote in message
ups.com...
Kathy, I can't make your link work. I really want to see this quilt. I
love things that work with stripey fabric.
Can you repost the link?
Sunny

Sally was nice enough to have already made tiny url's for the pictures:

First one:

http://tinyurl.com/hh2yz

Second One:

http://tinyurl.com/g86oy

Old September 24th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

oooo--ahhh! Very nice, Kath. The fabric print is gorgeous,
and mixed w/ that dark green-- love it!

Here's one of my more recent projects, playing w/ the fabric,
finding a simple pattern, Tossed Salads & Scramble Eggs:
http://tinyurl.com/js2mx

Nothing much simpler than a LogCabin, sew/trim/sew/trim,
LogCabin Star:
http://tinyurl.com/jyyqo

While patterns are nice, it's the fabrics that inspire me most.

Ragmop/Sandy

On 9/23/06 9:43 AM, in article
, "Kathy Applebaum"
wrote:

I don't have a name for it, but I take a striped fabric (the Ginny Beyer
stripes are fabulous for this) and cut it into long strips. I match the
pattern on four strips, and cut 1/4 square triangles. Sew them back
together, and it makes large squares that look like I took HOURS.

I did this one for my Dad:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/kathy.ap...57646076230502
3828/photo/294928803002855458/17
The whole top took about 5 hours to piece. Each of the red squares is only
four pieces, sewn from the red border fabric.

This one
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/kathy.ap...57646076230502
3828/photo/294928803002854282/10
was made from a left over square from Dad's quilt -- you can see better what
that square looks like.

Old September 24th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Just took a second look at the second pic,
noting the quilting-- clever you! Echoing the print w/ the quilting--
I love it!

Ragmop/Sandy

Old September 24th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Sandy Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!

oooo--ahhh! Very nice, Kath. The fabric print is gorgeous,
and mixed w/ that dark green-- love it!

Here's one of my more recent projects, playing w/ the fabric,
finding a simple pattern, Tossed Salads & Scramble Eggs:
http://tinyurl.com/js2mx

How cute! Probably a good thing to do with all the baseball swap squares
you'll get from the Cubs. :-)

Nothing much simpler than a LogCabin, sew/trim/sew/trim,
LogCabin Star:
http://tinyurl.com/jyyqo

I did a log cabin once. It must not be good, because it's not Finished, and
we all know what Finished is. *grin*

Old September 24th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

You can also get a pretty good idea of how the blocks look
by using a hinged mirror. Put the hinge at the point of the
print that will go to the centre of the block, If the print
id not symmetrical there will be some distortion but you get
the general appearance. Same principle as making
kaleidoscopes.

Jinny Beyer does something similar with some of her "soft
edged piecing" techniques.

Kathy - your blocks were just gorgeous, and precise beyond
anything I can aspire to. The seams are just invisible!

--

Cheryl & the Cats
o o o o o o

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in
[...]