Bobbin Problem

Old September 16th 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Default Bobbin Problem Plastic or Metal

I go by the manufacturers' recommendation. I buy only their brand, and
buy plastic or metal depending on what came with the machine. I always
think that, if you deviate from this, then you have no comeback on the
manufacturer if anything should go wrong. My Janome has a lots of it
made with metal (deduced from its weight!), but the outer casing is
plastic.
I have a feeling that the 'official truth' might depend on who you ask

..
In message , Cats
writes
Ooohhhh. Be careful Kate.

It might depend on the age of the machine I think. I was
told by the Janome factory service guy here that most of the
newer machines SHOULD use the plastic brand bobbins because
the bobbin mechanism was "balanced for the lighter weight of
the plastic ones". One dealer even told one of my sewers
that if she used metal bobbins in her new machine she would
have difficulty if she claimed related damage/problems under
warranty.

To be safe, I tell my sewers to stick with what came with
the original machine (plastic or metal) and use brand
bobbins.

My Janome is nearly 30yo and I ONLY use metal bobbins
because (a) I prefer them, and (b) that's what came with it.
I hate the thought of miniscule plastic filings floating
round in my machine, which is the last all metal model made
by Janome. Back then I doubt there was any other kind
anyway LOL.

So should we use metal or plastic? Does anyone know the
"official" truth?

Have I been told another furfie?

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 18th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

If you have a low thread sensor, you need to use plastic bobbins. IF
your machine is older and mechanical, metal bobbins may be better, even
if it came with plastic ones. The heavier metal bobbins don't have the
"overspin" problems of the plastic ones.
For the removable bobbin cases of the front loading type.... make sure
the thread is securely under the "spring", the flat metal piece that
partially covers the slot the thread goes up through. (a very
grammatically poor sentence, that.) Also when loading the bobbin and
case into the machine, if your case has a "point" that sticks up (fits
into a "notch" on the shuttle race in the machine) have the thread go
around it. that helps seat the thread correctly.

Hope this helps.

Pati, in Phx

Old September 19th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

Default Bobbin Problem

If it had a small metal piece inside it's been gone for a long time. I
don't recall it having one though. I'll look at it closer and check it out
though.

Mika

"Witchy Stitcher" wrote in message
Mika - this type of problem is usually caused by back spin of the
bobbin. Does your bobbin case come with a small metal piece inside?
This piece is easy to lose when changing bobbins and if it's gone, it
could be the cause of your problems.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old September 19th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

Singer Type 15 or 'universal' bobbins... Buy Singer or Bernina brand
ones, and don't use the plastic ones!

Hmmm, my machine came with plastic bobbins so that's what I've been using. I
haven't tried a metal bobbin in it yet. I'll give it a try though and see
what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mika

Old September 19th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

"Cats" wrote in message
Ooohhhh. Be careful Kate.

gently snipped

So should we use metal or plastic? Does anyone know the
"official" truth?

Have I been told another furfie?

I guess I should have read further. LOL. I have been using plastic since
that is what came with the machine.

Mika

Old September 19th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

My machine is only 4 years old but it's not computerized or anything like
that. I paid around $200 for it at Walmart. I'll give the metal bobbins a
try and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions.

Mika

ink.net...

Old September 19th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Oh, well, usually the thread breaks when
about 1/3 full. If not, I cut VERY
close, as you do. I should have said
that. PAT

hehe just call me clumsy or something. I tried winding a bobbin with a
longer tail to hold onto yesterday. Well let's just say that one should pay
attention when winding bobbins with a long tail. I got it wrapped around my
finger but it did finally break off. The thread, not my finger.

Hugs,
Mika

Old September 19th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:12:59 -0400, "Mika"
wrote:

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Oh, well, usually the thread breaks when
about 1/3 full. If not, I cut VERY
close, as you do. I should have said
that. PAT

hehe just call me clumsy or something. I tried winding a bobbin with a
longer tail to hold onto yesterday. Well let's just say that one should pay
attention when winding bobbins with a long tail. I got it wrapped around my
finger but it did finally break off. The thread, not my finger.

Hugs,
Mika

Well, I'm glad it wasn't your finger that fell off. Try it again
sometime. Like anything else it takes a time or two to get it right,
and even then you can still have funny accidents.

Once, I had the misfortune of having too long a thread tail and I
didn't pay attention to the end of it while beginning to wind the
bobbin. Next thing I knew the end of the tail was twisted with the
thread winding onto the bobbin and the bit of tail I was holding was
jerked from between my finger and thumb. This resulted in a bobbin
with two thread ends coming off of it, neither of which would unwind
properly. I had to cut the thread off of it with my seam ripper and
start from scratch.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at