Can anyone tell me..

Old April 11th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Can anyone tell me..

Well, that still means a trip to the store - we don't have sugar in the
house.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old April 11th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default feeing hummers was Can anyone tell me..

Forget the hummer food. Mix 1/4 cup sugar with 1 cup boiling water. Let
cool and fill the hummer feeder.

--
Mary
"Bonnie NJ" wrote in message
ink.net...
I saw a hummer just yesterday and meant to pick up some of the hummer food
at the store this morning. I'm back from the store and forgot the hummer
food :-( It will have to wait until tomorrow.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old April 12th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yes, it's best for them to have a higher sugar content. In colder weather,
they need to go into torpor to preserve energy overnight: that's why they
will often put aside their differences and settle down to share a feeder
toward dusk. A higher sugar content earlier in the season will boost the
resources they need overnight.

I used to work at North Vancouver Outdoor School, producing educational
materials on all sorts of critters, including hummingbirds. The information
I use came from experts working with the school...hummingbirds are
particularly fascinating, but we also had the world's largest congregation
from the other end of the spectrum: bald eagles! I learned all sorts of
weird and wonderful things about both species!

--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
nk.net...
To be a total sloth about it - I put 1/4 cup of sugar and l cup water in
my big glass measuring cup, microwave it for about 2 minutes and then
cool.
I didn't know you could / should raise the amount of sugar a little
when the weather is still chilly. Are you sure this is okay? Polly

"KI Graham" wrote "hummer food" in general is not recommended by experts,
especially if it's
the red stuff...red dye is as bad for these little guys as it is for some
kids: it raises their already high heart rate.
Early season hummer food [when it's still quite cold at night]: 1 cup
sugar to 3 cups boiling water. [cool before filling, of course]
Mid-late season food: 1 cup sugar to 4 cups boiling water.

Old April 12th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

FiederEls in NL wrote:
I peeked at the directory and found the colour Teal as a Yum colour, can
someone tell me what colour that is.. i looked it up in the dictionary but
all it said Teal is a bird ( some kind of a duck?).. that doesn't tell me
much... they come in a hundred diff colours... So , women of great
wisdom..can someone discribe the colour Teal to me? TIA..

Here is how I would show you what teal is
Go to this page

http://earthonly.com/trpa/browser_safe.php3

and put in #000000 for the text color
and #006666 for the background color
Click on view page and you will see a page with a teal background (in my
opinion) and black letters

liz young in soggy california
Old April 12th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Can anyone tell me..Bonnie NJ

Denise in NH wrote:
Don't bother buying hummer food, make your own, it's healthier for them,
no dyes. Boil 1 cup of water, stir in 1/4 cup table sugar till
dissolved. That's all you need. I have lots of hummers and as long as
there's red on the feeder, there's no need for red liquid.

Denise

or you can put the sugar in the bottom of a wide mouth quart jar (I make
a quart at a time), pour boiling water over it, stir to dissolve, put
the lid on and store in refrigerator until need to refill the feeders.

Which is every day and a half right now, year-round resident hummers are
all on drinking binges now.

liz young in soggy california
Old April 13th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

When we visited S. California we were amazed at the variety of hummers you
have out there - here in the East we only have the ruby throat.
I have filled the feeders with the sugar solution and have the extra stored
in the refrigerator.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old April 13th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Elizabeth,
That is a perfect teal!

--
Boca Jan
Southern Florida - land of the hurricanes

"Elizabeth Young" wrote in message
t...