I'm home!!!!

Old September 25th 05, 04:48 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
We were driving thru' Ft.Worth today
and saw many highway signs offering shelter and contact info
for the Hurricane Rita evacuees.
Many of the hotels were full, mostly of Houston residents
(most of the Katrina victims have been moved further thru'
the system), but our other shelters were ready and waiting.
Not to blow our own horns, but, as I just said, the one thing
about hurricanes is that we can see them coming and make
what preparations are possible. Not the best of all worlds,
but certainly an effort to help our far-flung neighbors.
Glad you got out safely, albeit slowly. ;-)
Need any LQS addresses before you go home? g

Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy--quilting in dry, very dry n.Tx.

"A&T" wrote in message
nk.net...
Oh, no!!!!!!! I tried to call Tina.... She had told me they were going to
ride it out.

I'm so sorry she had/is having such a rough time..

It took me 2 hours and 37 minutes to drive 11 miles, in the beginning of
my
journey to Temple, TX.

then, another 8 and 1/2 to do the rest, so it took a little over 11 hours
do a normal 4 and 1/2 drive and I left on Wednesday. Anyone who left
later
than that..... oh, wow.

The traffic was horrendous. And the hotels in Dallas, Austin and San
Antonio are still housing some Katrina victims, so Rita runners had/have
no
where to stay.

My dh and I called 50 places before giving up and calling friends to see
if
we could crash their campsite.

We had decided last night that if we couldn't come home this morning, we
were just going to camp for 2 or 3 more days...because traffic will be
horrible back in as well.

Oh, poor Tina.... more prayers going her way.

Tricia
http://photos.yahoo.com/momiixii

"Don/Gen" wrote in message
I'm so glad things went well with you. I just got a call from Tina, and
they had an AWFUL time. She was caught in the terrible traffic jam on
the
freeway. It took her 23 hours to get to San Antionio, a trip that is
normally 2-2 1/2 hours. Ran out of gas. One of the cats and a bird died

in
the car from the heat. Her daughter and son were in terrible shape. She
was really afraid she might lose her daughter. She finally found a

shopping
center with a tree and patch of grass and got everyone out of the car
and
lying down. Today is better. They are trying to get enough fluids

without
going on overload. The dogs are drinking, and the other cat seems to be
coming around. everyone is sleeping a lot. The irony in all this is
that
her DH stayed in another part of Houston and checked the house today. No
damage, although I believe she said the power is out. She doesn't plan

the
trip back any time soon. She's had enough of the traveling! I feel so

bad
for her. No internet access where she is now. She said babies died from
heat exhaustion on the freeway. How absolutely horrible. I think this
country as a whole had better be re-thinking disaster plans. The 2
hurricanes have shown how horribly prepared we are. It's really

frightening
and scary. It makers me very sad and also nervous. Here in the middle
of
the country we don't get such bad storms, but it's scary anyway.
Gen

Old September 25th 05, 04:51 AM
A&T

It's actually a funny a story on so many counts...

I feel so blessed... I spent two nights in a camper designed to seat 8
people with 4 adults, an 18 year old, a 13 year old, two Chihuahuas, an
11-year-old dachshund with congestive heart failure, and a 21 year old
cockatiel....

you can't even imagine....

Old September 25th 05, 04:55 AM
maryd

Does the tiel imitate the dogs bark? g Glad you can see the humor.

--
Mary

"A&T" wrote in message
nk.net...
: It's actually a funny a story on so many counts...
:

Old September 25th 05, 05:57 AM
A&T

no, but he (the cockatiel) is in love with the blonde Chihuahua!!!!!!!!!

the dogs belonged to the friend, the bird is mine!

"maryd" wrote in message
Does the tiel imitate the dogs bark? g Glad you can see the humor.

--
Mary

nk.net...

Old September 25th 05, 07:40 AM
Patti

Oh my, what a dreadful experience.
Thanks, Gen, for letting us know that she is all right now - well, as
nearly all right as anyone can be after that experience.
..
In message , Don/Gen
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 25th 05, 04:47 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Patti wrote:

Oh my, what a dreadful experience.
Thanks, Gen, for letting us know that she is all right now - well, as
nearly all right as anyone can be after that experience.
.
In message , Don/Gen
writes
[...]

Piggybacking here. I can't imagine how awful this experience must have
been for them and for all of the others caught in this evacuation
nightmare. I hope they'll all be okay, given some time to put it behind
them -- if they can.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old September 25th 05, 05:02 PM
Pat in Virginia

Howdy to you Sandy!
Yep, Texas is known for having good plans. But, no matter how
well one plans, it is DIFFICULT at best to move millions of
people quickly and with out incident. Anyone who thinks otherwise
should publish their detailed plans!! It would be a service to
Texas, and all states. Perhaps if we could get 'Scotty' to "beam
us up" we could move everyone faster. Otherwise, we just have to
try to move out as soon as possible, and to take some basic
supplies, as you mentioned. Meantime, I am keeping all the ones
affected by Hurricanes in my thoughts and prayers.
Another thought is that areas of Hurricanes (or other natural
disaster) should restrict their expansion. Maybe more industries
should locate in more sparsely populated areas. IOW, maybe it is
not a good idea to pack lots of people in one tight area!!
PAT in VA/USA ... where growth needs to be contained also!

Ellison wrote:

Howdy!
Glad to hear so many people and pets survived.
We've been listening to all the t.v. channels for hurricane
and damage reports; there have been no reports of
any babies dying from heat exhaustion during the evacuation.
Altho' many people were stranded by the roadside due to lack
of gas or over-heated cars, the only deaths reported so far
are those elderly people on the bus, god bless them.
There are many hard luck stories, esp. those about
some people who brought no supplies with them at all,
not even a loaf of bread or a jug of water; this evac was
mostly successful and effective. The "authorities" are asking
that people do not return immediately to the area in order to
avoid another massive traffic jam headed back in. As there
is no electric power to 1 million+ people, gas stations are still
waiting for gas supplies, and there's water and debris everywhere,
not going home to the midst of the mess right now seems like
a good idea.
For the most part, the hurricane survival plans this
state has had for decades worked.
I grew up near the coast in way-south Tx; we always had storm
survival plans, we used plenty of common sense,
& most everyone survived the many hurricanes & tropical storms
that blew in regularly off the Gulf of Mexico. We were taught
to not be complacent but prepared.
Sometimes the "news" people do a disservice by exaggerating
the problems and results. This storm damage is nowhere near as bad
in Texas as what New Orleans and that area are suffering.
One thing about hurricanes: we can see them coming!

Ragmop/Sandy--quilting in higher, dryer n.Tx.

Old September 25th 05, 05:56 PM
Don/Gen

I've not heard that either, except from her. Not sure about anything
anymore. Just praying there aren't any more storms coming.
Gen