OT - Please Help Ladies!! Restroom Etiquette - Your Opinions Needed!!

Old November 11th 03, 08:31 PM
Jalynne

Oh, definitely, georg. I would always let someone who is obviously disabled go ahead
of me. I am in the same position you are, at least part of the month. I NEED those
handles to get up and down, and often have DD with me, as well. As long as there's
no one who specifically needs that stall when we're set to go in there, I have no
problems with using it at all. i'm just saying it's not an all or nothing
situation....it's situational, and we all have to be understanding of each other. i
hope that clarifies what i'd stated a bit more...i really don't want to be offending
anyone here.
--
Jalynne

"georg" wrote in message
Jalynne wrote:

they're wheelchair/disabled *accessable* stalls not wheelchair/disabled

*exclusive*,
and I see absolutely no problems whatsoever with an "able bodied" person using

them,
especially when they're larger or have children with them. Another thing to

think
about...how can you know if that person has a hidden disability?

I use a cane often, but I don't have handicapped tags for my car. I do
NOT park in the handicapped spot. But I will use the handicapped stall
sometimes, just because it's great to maneuver where there are handles!
But if someone is in a wheelchair and needs the loo the same time I
hobble in, I'm letting them go first.

I do know there are handicapped folks who when they need to go, they
need to go NOW and it's a LOT nicer for them when there is an available
handicapped stall available. It saves them from needing to change their
own diaper. And I've helped a friend or three clean up who didn't make
it there in time (but usually not due to a line!).

I can see both sides of the issue. If there is a line, I'll use the
first available stall, but let an obviously handicapped person ignore
the line. If someone was able to *announce* their handicap if it wasn't
obvious, yes, I'd tolerate them skipping the line too. And yes, I've
gotten strange looks for being the lady with the cane waiting my turn.

-georg

Old November 11th 03, 08:51 PM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

What I object to is the diaper changing table inside the handicapped
toilet area. It takes a while to change and clean a baby- absolutely!-
but when that's the ONLY stall I can use.... well, darn it! It's tough
waiting some times! And besides my (many) physical handicaps which
require the taller commode and hand rails, I have intermittent digestive
troubles that are a wildly unpredictable medical problem. :-(

Leslie, The Walking/Talking Medical Dictionary of Diagnoses

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old November 11th 03, 10:43 PM
Marie Lewis

In article , georg
writes
I use a cane often, but I don't have handicapped tags for my car. I do
NOT park in the handicapped spot. But I will use the handicapped stall
sometimes, just because it's great to maneuver where there are handles!
But if someone is in a wheelchair and needs the loo the same time I
hobble in, I'm letting them go first.

Thank you.

I do know there are handicapped folks who when they need to go, they
need to go NOW and it's a LOT nicer for them when there is an available
handicapped stall available. It saves them from needing to change their
own diaper. And I've helped a friend or three clean up who didn't make
it there in time (but usually not due to a line!).

I can see both sides of the issue. If there is a line, I'll use the
first available stall, but let an obviously handicapped person ignore
the line. If someone was able to *announce* their handicap if it wasn't
obvious, yes, I'd tolerate them skipping the line too. And yes, I've
gotten strange looks for being the lady with the cane waiting my turn.

-georg

When I had a colostomy, I had to use disabled toilets (this is
permissible) because I needed the long mirror in order to change.

I have nothing at all against any disabled person using these loos,
whatever the disability.

However, I do take exception to the person, not disabled, who said she
always uses those loos. It is inconsiderate in the extreme.
--
Marie Lewis
Old November 11th 03, 10:44 PM
Marie Lewis

In article . net,
Jalynne writes
I would always let someone who is obviously disabled go ahead
of me.

What about the disabilities that are not obvious?
--
Marie Lewis
Old November 11th 03, 10:44 PM
Marie Lewis

In article . net, Jan
Dunaway writes
Not to mention that some places are starting to put the diaper changing
tables in the handicap access stalls.

Jan

That is really stupid.

Thankfully, in the UK or Europe, I have never seen that.
--
Marie Lewis
Old November 11th 03, 10:46 PM
Marie Lewis

In article , Diana Curtis
writes
-- We owe people with physical challenges the ability to lead as normal a
life as possible. We (able bodied) wait for stalls.. so should they.

Some of them cannot. there are many disabilities.
--
Marie Lewis
Old November 11th 03, 11:25 PM
Jalynne

I addressed this already. Some of us (I say us, because i am disabled, but not
obviously so) can wait, others can't. We just need to be sensitive to others' needs,
that's ALL I was saying.--
Jalynne

"Marie Lewis" wrote in message
In article . net,
Jalynne writes

Old November 11th 03, 11:27 PM
Jalynne

I don't agree that it's inconsiderate, Marie...and I know many who agree. If there
is NO ONE else in the washroom...why should I not use it? Especially if I had a
young child with me. I just don't understand your reasoning, i suppose, and would
appreciate further clarification.

Old November 12th 03, 12:31 AM
Jan Dunaway

I dislike it as well!! I hate taking up the stall for that. But if
it's the only place.. it's the only place and saying I can't use it
because it's for handicap only is a little unpractical. That's my
point. I really think that if there were stalls universally in both
male and female bathrooms, it wouldn't be as big of an issue to who took
the kids. Hubby and I discussed this last night after it came up on the
NG.. and our basic conclusion was as long as people used common
courtesy, there shouldn't be a problem either way.

Jan

Old November 12th 03, 12:37 AM
Teresa in Colorado

There are rude people in the world. I wish there were not. It's a shame.

But, non-handicapped people have needs - sometimes urgent (after 4 kids, I
have less bladder control than I used to) and sometimes I still have a
feminine hygiene emergency. I do not think I should have to wait for a non
handicapped stall if the handicapped one is empty and there's nobody needing
to use it.

I promise not to smoke, throw up, read, take my break, or do anything other
than go to the bathroom quickly and get out of the stall - same as I would
for any other stall.
--
Teresa in Colorado

The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com
--
"C. Mathews" wrote in message
Just have to jump in on this issue.

I am a handicapped person. I can only use the handicapped stall.

I have been made to wait while employee's smoked and took their break,

while
people read, threw up etc.

It is so unfair and I can see no justification on anyone using a space for
the handicapped.
Line or no line.

That is not what they are intended for.

Same for handicapped parking. I have come out of a store with a week's

load
of groceries, in the rain, only to find that some person had pulled their
car so close to mine that I cannot open the door fully to get in. I have

had
to go back into the store and ask the manager to come out and back my car
out of the space.

When I worked, on rainy days, I would have to circle the block, until the
unauthorized person decided to come out and move their car.

And while I am on my soap box, I agree with the ladies, that boys old

enough
to get their own pants up and down, should NOT be in a ladies bathroom.

The
same goes for dressing rooms. I had this problem at the local Y.

I see no reason, a father cannot take his little girl into the men's room

if
he first checks to see if any other men are in there...same for women

taking
their sons in the ladies room.

However, as a patron, I would be asking myself, is this person really this
child's parent??? How are we to know??

Carla

"Teresa in Colorado" wrote in message
ink.net...
Marie,
I respectfully disagree. Using the restroom takes just a few minutes,
unlike using the handicapped parking spot which takes much longer.

I will use the regular toilet if available, but if there's a line - I

use
what's available.
Heck - we have even been known to take over the mens restroom from time

time!!
It doesn't make sense to leave a facility unused when there's a line.

It is like the 9 item or less line at the grocery. If the cashier in

that
line is idle, he will often call over someone in line at one of the

other
registers, to get the lines down faster.

Also, when I had twins, in a big double stroller - I used the

handicapped
stall. The stroller didn't fit into any of the little stalls.

It's a matter of common sense. You don't use the handicapped stall if
someone in a wheelchair is in line - you let them use it. But if it's

the
only empty spot and there's a line (or a special circumstance), you use

it.
Alas, common sense is not all that common.

I think we should worry about all the people who abuse the handicapped
spaces - that is not right. I even know people who have handicapped

plates
who definately don't need them - not even for a hidden disability.

--
Teresa in Colorado

The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com
--
"Marie Lewis" wrote in message
In article . net,
Jalynne writes
She will take him in, and try to use the wheelchair accessable stall
(heck, i use that stall with my own child)

Please! do not do this. It is only one step from using disabled
people's parking spots.
--
Marie Lewis