They're getting slicker all the time at phishing

Old November 21st 04, 09:48 AM
Su/Cutworks

Default They're getting slicker all the time at phishing

It's really alarming now, and if PayPal and eBay don't get off their butts
and do something they're going to face a lot of problems.

Today there were five very very slickly produced and phrased phishes in my
mailbox. Two warning me of fraudulent bids, two usual ones wanting my
details to 'update' my account and one that threw me for a microsecond about
billing status.

They're slick. Very slick.

*******s.

But slick.

I worry about people who are not careful or just too innocent to even
automatically take the time to think that NO one and I mean NO one is going
to send out stuff like this legitimately.

Not eBay, or PayPal or the banks that operate around the world or the local
departments store. None of them.

I fight it as best I can by forwarding every single one of these vile things
to and . It's the only way to get this to
stop.

I've not marked this OT as it's very relevant to what we do here and what we
are. People can be ripped off so easily, it's worrying how easily it can
happen.

-Su

Old November 21st 04, 04:33 PM
Karen_AZ

The giveaway to every phishing attempt I've seen is that the real Ebay and
Paypal both address me by my name. Not Dear DesertDreamer, or Dear
Ebay/Paypal customer.

I have to say, I love Mailwasher. If I get a suspicious one, I can run my
cursor over the alleged link and it will show the real URL down in the
status bar. That's a huge help.

The other part that makes me laugh is that I have two different email
addresses for my biz....one is for customer contact through my auction
listings....but Paypal doesn't have that address and never will. So stuff
that comes through ID'd that way is an instant phish.

KarenK

Old November 21st 04, 06:06 PM
Marisa Cappetta

I'm getting this bs as well. So is my husband who doesn't even have a paypal
account. So they're not that slick. Thanks for the heads up to everyone,
Su. It's important that information is cirulated so the unwary aren't caught
out.
Marisa AU/NZ

Old November 21st 04, 09:44 PM
Robin

I've already reported two of these, one each to EBay and PayPal. Both
times I received their reply telling me that they were definitely NOT
legitimate messages. Fortunately I'm a very suspicious person when it
comes to unsolicited email. I definitely check them out very carefully
and read what isn't there along with what's there. Maybe I've deleted
some legitimate emails from time to time, but I'd rather be safe than
sorry. You're right however; too many people are not careful enough and
may have to learn the hard way. Hopefully, warnings like this will
continue to be posted and we can help each other stay safe.

Robin

Old November 22nd 04, 02:07 AM
Kalera Stratton

I routinely ignore ALL email that appears to be from ebay or Paypal.
That might be a problem someday.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old November 22nd 04, 07:40 AM
AmazeR

Yeah, Well anything that wants my pin number must be a fraudster! Not
even my DH knows my pins...

Mavis

Su/Cutworks wrote:
[...]

Taking time away from the groups Su/Cutworks Beads 25 October 30th 04 07:39 PM
Panic Attack Time starlia Beads 76 March 14th 04 02:39 AM
Length of time to tumble rocks Kate Beads 17 January 10th 04 11:11 PM
On the up side, I'll have more time to bead... April Beads 11 September 29th 03 08:08 AM
Time to unlurk Lisa Caryl Beads 45 August 21st 03 06:48 PM