Has Anyone Ever....

Old November 21st 10, 05:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Default Has Anyone Ever....

Been to a viewer's choice quilt show, where one quilter stationed her
husband at the
front door to advise all the people coming in which number her quilt
was?

Just sayin'.

I've been totally astounded at how *nice* quilters are. That's been
affirmed to me over
and over on this group even! But I've also seen some little old
ladies who are
*very* competitive!

Just for the record, I think it's permissible, *expected* even, to
drag your DH to the quilt
show for the sole purpose of casting a ballot for your quilt. :-)

Sherry
Old November 21st 10, 05:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

WAAAAHaha, Sherry. No. I've never seen that. But I worked and lived in
politics long enough to be aware of ... what was your polite word?
Competitive? Our precious young preacher talked Sunday about: there's
stealing and then there's REALLY stealing. I'm thinking that sounds like
one of them. Polly

Old November 21st 10, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Oh, yeah the one time I was the display chair for our show in Lompoc,
we had the show in the Veteran's Hall. I had everything lined out and
set up to meet the needs of MeSue daughter's wheelchair [bless their
souls]. When it came to delivering the quilts and hanging, some of the
guild members tried to railroad me of where to place things. Uh, they
didn't know me very well. Let's just say things were hung the way I
lined them out

Yes, I have seen just what you mentioned, last time was at the
Glendale [CA] Quilt Show.

Ginger in CA
"it takes all kinds of personalities to make the world go 'round!]

Old November 21st 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

This is an old story but still sweet- Many years ago I was talking on the
phone with my mom in Az. Suddenly she said she had to get off the phone
cuz my aunt was there and they were going to a quilt show. My mom doesn't
quilt- doesn't even sew- so I was surprised at her interest. She said she
had gathered up all the quilted items I'd made for them over the years and
was taking all of it to show to people at the quilt show! I tried my best
to discourage her- can you imagine two little old ladies on a bench outside
the show saying 'Psssttt! Wanna see my daughter's quilts?'

I never had the courage to ask her if they did it.....

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old November 22nd 10, 01:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

"Sherry" wrote in message

Been to a viewer's choice quilt show, where one quilter stationed her
husband at the
front door to advise all the people coming in which number her quilt
was?

Just sayin'.

I've been totally astounded at how *nice* quilters are. That's been
affirmed to me over
and over on this group even! *But I've also seen some little old
ladies who are
*very* competitive!

Just for the record, I think it's permissible, *expected* even, to
drag your DH to the quilt
show for the sole purpose of casting a ballot for your quilt. :-)

Sherry- Hide quoted text -

Leslie, be so happy that they were so appreciative of your work.
Almost all the recipients of my quilts have been equally as happy and
enthusiastic save one. I did a queen size quilt for dear brother and
SIL. Machine pieced and hand quilted. Heavily quilted for hand
quilting. The only response I ever got was - 'oh, that's nice'. No
thank you. And this was after checking if SIL liked quilts; checked
colors, etc. We all vacation together every year. One year they
brought extra quilts for their vacation bed. Would you not have
brought the one that was made for you since the maker was with you
wether you liked it or not??? Or am I being overly sensitive? Oh
well. Everyone else seems to be pleased.

Kim in NJ
Old November 22nd 10, 02:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Good gracious Leslie. You have made me bawl, " I want my moma". She
thought I could walk on water, she took my side - right or wrong and she
just knew that I could do anything. She certainly would have taken one of
my quilts to a quilt show and given everybody an opportunity to admire it.
This week we'll be missing a lot of people that we love. We'll wallow in
the missing - and then we will be very thankful that we had them to miss.
Thank God for Momas ... and quilt shows. Polly

Old November 22nd 10, 02:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Yep Polly, you are right as usual. My mama was my best cheerleader too. I
got in the right line when they were handing out parents.
I hope Leslie's mama is recovering from her recent surgery and doing well.
Taria

Old November 22nd 10, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Thanks- yes, she is recovering from her second mastectomy and getting into
the reconstruction process- she just turned 82 y.o. a week ago. This one
was preventative- and she's doing well. Thank God.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old November 23rd 10, 06:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

I always wished my mom would be my cheerleader. Nothing I ever did
quite measured up for her. She did, however, love the crazy quilt I
made for her the summer before she went into hospice, kept it on her
bed for the rest of her life. I really wish I knew what happened to
that quilt. If I knew it was doing some good, giving someone else
comfort or enjoyment, I'd be satisfied. But I suspect it went into the
garbage bin. I ask, but nobody will answer. Ah well .... letting go
sometimes is hard.

Love to you all,
Sunny