UPDATE: Quilts for Tsunami Orphans

Old January 3rd 05, 07:02 PM
Kathy (in Alaska)

Default UPDATE: Quilts for Tsunami Orphans

I have just gotten off the phone after talking to Diyana's husband.
Diyana is at work today.
Needless to say, her husband is VERY busy trying to hold the fort down
and all the calls coming in.

I spoke to him about donations of $ as well as quilts. As of today,
they are most in need of money donations, HOWEVER... he thinks that the
quilts are an excellent idea and he is in much need of help to organize
this and any other non-money donations.

Diyana and her family are well aware that there are many people like
us who want very badly to donate to Daylan and his Orphans, so Diyana
and her husband are trying to set up a website for this. I don't know
if they will want the quilts to send to the Orphans or to auction
/sell to raise $ for the Orphanage. At this point Diyana's husband did
not know the answer either. HOWEVER... He did say that they were only a
small family doing this by themselves and are in much need of help and
assistance in organizing the efforts and donations.

As for me, I am going to work on finishing my projects, (my HQ
quilting machine should be in this week) so that I can quilt these tops
and maybe by then we will know more on donating or selling the quilts
to raise money for the new Orphanage.

Quilty Hugs,
Kathy (in Alaska)

An idea:
I have been following this Orphanage story.
There is a lady in the USA (state of Maryland) her name is Diyana
Sanders. Her brother, Dayalan Sanders is in a region which was VERY
hard hit by the Tsunami. He lost his entire orphanage, but he managed
to save the children!
There are two story links below to read about this miracle and Diyana's
plea:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Dec29.html
http://www.gazette.net/200453/montgo.../252426-1.html
I know Diyana has already started collecting money donations.
Perhaps this is a good place to start to ask where we can send quilt
donations.
Diyana is having an open house next weekend to help raise funds to
re-build her brothers orphanage. I do not have an email address for her
but her snail mail address to send a donation or perhaps inquire about
quilt donations is:

Diyana Sanders
3 Treworthy Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20878

There is also a telephone number: Not sure which one is right.
(301) 279-2947
(301) 279-8907

I will try calling Diyana tomorrow and see if "Quilts for Orphans"
could be sent to her/her brother.
Lovingly,
Kathy (in Alaska)
Your thoughts?