How much does it cost to make a quilt?

Old September 27th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

Default How much does it cost to make a quilt?

In article ,
"Mickie Swall" wrote:

The following appeared in the Ask Laskas column in the
October Reader's Digest and is also at the RD website:
http://www.rd.com/content/ask-laskas-october/
reprinted here for your convenience:
======================================
"Question
Destination weddings at resorts are the rage in my
group. Flights, hotels and carfare cost beaucoup bucks!
A couple ask a lot of their guests to see them exchange
their vows. Am I wrong in thinking spending thousands
on travel justifies a small gift, if any? -- Tight Budget
Dear Tight,
If you think enough of the couple to attend their nuptials,
then, yes, you need to bring a gift. If getting to the wedding
is blowing your budget, make a quilt or frame a special photo.
There are lots of ways to say "congratulations!" that don't
involve big bucks. If it's really too much for you, don't go."
=======================================

There are many rude comments that cross my mind that
I'm tempted to tell this hopelessly clueless lady, and I DO
intend to respond, after I calm down g
My question to you is how much does it cost YOU to make a
quilt, never mind the HOURS spent, just materials?

Mickie (who normally loves Marie's responses)

calming down after an attack of the shrieks This woman needs to do
some research before she prints something as clueless as her reply.
Cost? It depends, of course, on the size of the quilt. Still, with
decent fabric going for $10 (roughly, if we're lucky) per yard, batting,
thread, wear and tear on the sewing machine (assuming we're not doing
this by hand), the cost should be anywhere from $50 for a very small
quilt on up into the hundreds -- *just* for the materials.

OTOH, I once made a "quiltlet" for a niece and her new DH (I also sent
another gift); said quiltlet had their wedding photo printed on fabric
on it and was framed with fabrics in their wedding colors. That didn't
cost too much -- but they didn't appreciate it.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old September 27th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy

Ironically I too had just read this article yesterday and had the same
response that Mickie did...how dare she?? Even a small baby size quilt is
easily $50. I suppose if someone wanted to make a small wallhanging with
scraps, they could get by for less. I was going to send her an email as
well!!

Nancy

Old September 27th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Whew! Thanks for saving my Gators. Bad enuf they get medical ppl. I can
picture a gator running the OTHER WAY if she showed up.

Butterfly

"Val" wrote in message

"Mickie Swall" wrote in message
make a quilt or frame a special photo.
There are lots of ways to say "congratulations!" that don't
involve big bucks.

and I DO
intend to respond, after I calm down g

Oh please don't wait to calm down, the sooner she's inundated with irate
emails from quilters the better. Her phone number is also listed below. A
few hundred "What the hell were you thinking?????" messages jamming her
voice mail might also help to get the message across that a quilt and a
framed photo are *NOT* in the same "economical" category of time and
dollar$.

I also think this woman should be BOMBARDED with emails letting her know
what a lame brained, BEEEEEEEEEE-YONNNNNNNND stupid answer she wrote. I
found her professional bio....
http://www.english.pitt.edu/people/f...skas.html#pubs ....and I'm
wondering what qualifies her to write an advise column, it certainly isn't
common sense. Don't bother sending your rants to the RD, they all just go
into a bin so the droids can pick out the next question for "sage advise".

Jeanne Marie Laskas
Assistant Professor of English
412-624-6540

So, her goal apparently is not necessarily good and well thought out
and/or well researched (like the cadre of various professionals in the
Rolodex as Ann and Abby had) answers. She's spitting out anything to be
published in order to pad her resume in her campaign for full tenure
IMO......she's as yet only made it to Assistant Prof. I've always
considered the RD to be pretty much schlock, but that's just my VERY
personal opinion. A Masters in Fine Arts (literature) does not an advise
columnist make.

BTW, I've already sent my scathing email to this idiot AND spewed forth a
message (which I thoughtfully wrote out in great detail so I could read it
in a rational manner and not miss a single point explaining to her why I
thought she was a brain dead idiot) on her voice mail. :0

Val........now I need some chocolate *sigh*

Wondering and pondering the possibilities of Fed Exing one of Mizz Polly's
hormonally enraged gators to..........naw, we can't treat a poor gator
that way, nevermind.

Old September 28th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:09:18 -0400, "Mickie Swall"
wrote:

My question to you is how much does it cost YOU to make a
quilt, never mind the HOURS spent, just materials?

Mickie (who normally loves Marie's responses)

Although you are upset, the truth is that quilting doesn't have to be
terribly expensive if you can't afford it to be. Sure there are
lovely expensive fabrics, battings, and threads to be bought, but they
are not necessary to make a lovely quilt. Thousands of quilters have
made beautiful quilts from humble beginnings because they had no money
for expensive materials, and some of those quilts are now owned by and
displayed in museums.

DH's king size Space quilt materials cost around $300. I also have a
full size Bow Tie quilt that will have cost around $80 in materials
when it is finished. I like them both equally. But I also know I can
make a lovely quilt with even less money. Assuming a full size bed,
and the least expense possible, I can make a quilt for under $30.00
that I would be proud to say I made.

Here is how I would do it, although I can't claim to have invented
this cost cutting method myself:

Pattern--free from library book or online at a free download
site--------$0
Fabric for the top--Thrift store and Goodwill as yardage and/or gently
used clothing bought on "bag sale" day where you put whatever you can
into a bag for $5, or left over garment sewing scraps, or inherited
craft stash fabric (I actually have fabric from all three sources in
my quilting stash.).----$0-$5
Batting and backing--cheap no name brand blanket and pretty top sheet
from somewhere like Max-Way, Family Dollar, or Dollar General.
Blanket----$7.50 Top Sheet only-----$5-$10
Thread--spool of plain sewing thread---$3.50

If this has upset you, I am sorry, but poor people have been making
beautiful things with very little money for ages. To ignore that it
can be done is to ignore their great creativity and inventiveness.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 28th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
witchystitcher

I just finished a twin sized quilt as a gift. The fabrics were not my
taste so were all purchased new. Well, not exactly new, they were not
current, so were on sale. - I paid "only" $7 yd. The quilt took 8
yards, the backing another $5, so that's $91. Then there was the
batting, again on sale, another $10. Plus, thread and time. Now, to
make is a useable bedquilt for a couple, double that.

To equate this with framing a photo is insulting.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old September 28th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

If this has upset you, I am sorry, but poor people have been making
beautiful things with very little money for ages. To ignore that it
can be done is to ignore their great creativity and inventiveness.

I think it was more the seeing it as equal to framing a photo - you can
do a quilt cheaply if you choose to, but it is harder work and the hours
would really add up, certainly incomparable to framing a photo and not
really in line with being frustrated at the cost of attending.

Anne
Old September 28th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:21:52 GMT, "KJ" wrote:

Please post your response here too! She may not know what a hornet's nest
she's stirred up. "don't involve big bucks" indeed! I guess if we all
still cut up our old clothing we might be able to send an economical quilty
gift....what a lovely wedding present that would be!!!

If someone gave me a beautiful quilt I wouldn't ask where the fabric
came from or what brand the batting was. I would see a beautiful
quilt that took time and effort to make, and love it.

I think you slight your own creativity if you believe you can't make a
lovely quilt top from re-purposed fabrics.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 28th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mickie Swall[_2_]

Oh yes, Debra, I understand this point of view perfectly, but the
question was dealing with "Destination Weddings" people who no
doubt spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on their weddings.
How do you think they would respond to a hand-made quilt from
recycled materials?
Another point is the quantity of time spent - either processing the
recycled clothes or shopping for new fabrics and materials, cutting
and sewing the quilt, even if entirely by machine.
And let's see, the last time I got something professionally framed,
maybe 15 years ago? it cost $249.00 for 2 mats and a pretty wood
frame for a 12" x 10" cross stitch.
Cheap? Framing is not cheap either! .
Not really upset, just amazed how most people do not realize or
appreciate the time and expense that go into crafting that they
haven't tried themselves. g
Mickie

Old September 28th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"Debra" wrote in message
If someone gave me a beautiful quilt I wouldn't ask where the fabric
came from or what brand the batting was. I would see a beautiful
quilt that took time and effort to make, and love it.

I think you slight your own creativity if you believe you can't make a
lovely quilt top from re-purposed fabrics.
Debra in VA

It is all fine and well to make a statement like this to a covey of
quilters, *we* understand what the finished product involved and the point
you are trying to make. If somebody gave me a quilt, or I am sure any of
the wonderful people of RCTQ; a quilt that was lovingly crafted from the rag
bag, re-purposed or whatever euphemism you want to use for old fabric, rags,
etc, an old blanket for the batting and a poly blend sheet for the backing.
We would ohhhh and ahhhhhh and graciously accept a gift we truly understood
the time and work that must have gone into such a precious gift.........

HOWEVER, the other side of the coin is a very special wedding quilt made for
a DS and his Lady Love's wedding that had been hand pieced, hand quilted,
hand embroidered, every *&!#* point and seam painstakingly matched and the
back hand embroidered with their names, birth dates and the date of their
marriage. The couple very proudly brought it to the wedding and displayed it
in a very visible and honored place on the guest book table. I hear a guest,
obviously of the same School of Appreciation for Hand Crafts as Ms. Laskas
made the remark......"Oh look, I saw those same blanket things for sale on
QVC!"
Our very wise Miss Polly gave me the very good advise early in the planning
stages of this wedding. "Mother of the groom just smiles and keeps her mouth
shut." I did......then rolled on over to the champagne
fountain.....again......knowing Miss Polly would be SO proud of me

Ergo:
Not all people will ever appreciate all "blanket things" or that gifts of
quilts are more than just thread and fabric but also made of heart, soul and
love......these will be all the people who get picture frames.
Val

Old September 28th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I use three 3 yard lengths for backings for my bed size quilts which are
120X120 or slightly less. 6 yards for a king/queen would only be 80 inches
wide or a little more. Queen beds are 60 in. wide- that's only a 10 inch
drop on each side and that would shrink with the quilting. Kings are either
72 or 78, I think, depending on whether it's a CA king or standard king. I
don't see how that would work with only 5 or 6 yards? Are we talking 40-44
in. wide fabric or the extra wide fabrics that are from 90 to 108 wide? I
was estimating using the 40-44 width fabric.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Betsy in NY" wrote in message
I generally figure about $150: 10 yards for the top, 6 for the backing,
batting, thread etc. I guess I don't figure in the wear and tear items like
blades, cutting mat, scissors etc that get used for more than one quilt.
(Kind of like only counting the cost of gas when figuring the cost per mile
of driving (VBG)) Maybe if I figured out the number of quilts I have made
over the years and the cost of my machine per quilt the cost would rise.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
I usually estimate a bed sized quilt at about $250- that's LQS quality
fabric and all the necessary 'things' that I need to finish it. (Top
will need about 12-14 yards at approx. $9 per yd., backing needs about 9
yds.

How are you making your backing? I figure 5 yards, folded in half selvage
to selvage and seamed makes a backing that is about 80-84 inches wide by
90 inches long. Maybe 6 yards for a king/queen to allow for some
shrinkage.

at
the same price and then there's batting, thread, needles, rotary blades,
Band-Aids, etc.) I always over buy on the fabric so that I will not run
out of one or the other. But I think that's a pretty fair estimate.
Then there's the hours and hours of shopping, designing and planning,
organizing, cutting, sewing, quilting and binding- and then cleaning up
the mess after I finish and the postage to ship the quilt to it's new
owner. About $500 worth in the labor area for a simple quilt like a log
cabin- bare, bare minimum! I don't give quilts except to people I love
and that deserve them- as in appreciate and use the quilts.

I've had people ask to pay me for some of my hand work, sweaters more
often than quilts. I tell them that I don't sell my work - I only give it
awy to people I am very close to. If I had to charge even minimum wage
for my labor they wouldn't pay the price. As a comparison a homespun hand
knit sweater probably takes me about 100 hours from raw wool to finished
sweater. Lets see, at $7.15/hour......:-)

Betsy

Taking a poll: How much does it cost fo see and shop a quilt show QuiltsWithCatFur Quilting 11 January 11th 06 03:44 AM
Cost for options to make ring fit over big knuckles Lulu Jewelry 4 October 1st 05 05:39 AM
cost of quilt retreats DQLTS Quilting 15 February 17th 05 03:23 AM
Make Polymer Stamps at Home no expensive start up cost. [email protected] Rubberstamps 0 January 12th 05 03:28 PM
Could someone tell me the cost to make a bead Scott Beads 28 October 28th 04 09:52 PM