OT Holiday food

Old December 23rd 04, 02:26 PM
Sally Swindells

Default OT Holiday food

Having just collected Fat Sid the Turkey I wondered what everyone else
has to eat on Christmas Day?

We aim to eat at about 1.00p.m. and start by pulling crackers (not
biscuits) reading out the pathetic jokes, wearing the paper hats and
playing with the little plastic toys etc that come in them. This year
the crackers are silver to go with the red tablecloth and silver holly
napkin rings I made about 10 years ago.

Don't have a Starter (too much to follow), then as 95% of rest of UK,
Turkey, with Sage and Onion Stuffing. Sausage meat stuffing, Bread
Sauce, Chipolata Sausages, Gravy, Roast Potatoes, Parsnips, Brussels
Sprouts and what ever other vegs SIL brings. Oh, and also Cranberry
Sauce, but as this is a fairly recent addition in our family (one of
these new fangled American ideas!) it usually gets forgotten until
halfway through the meal!

Then traditional Christmas ('Plum') Pudding. This year very well
matured so should be good, with Brandy Sauce and Brandy Butter (some
like one, some the other). Then cheese and biscuits for (sorry,
Crackers) those with room..

After the meal Tea or Coffee and Mincepies and watch the Queens Speech
before presents. Then More tea and Mincepies and Iced Christmas Cake
(hope its cooked OK, new recipe!).

Then about 7 we somehow eat again - cold turkey, ham, pork pie and
salads, followed by lots of fattening desserts!

Somehow we also manage to consume chocolates, nuts, dates and alcohol!

POP!!!

The one year we did have a starter, DS, then about 3, burst into tears
'I thought we were having turkey!!' For the last 27 years he has been
reminded of this!

Sally
Old December 23rd 04, 03:44 PM
Louise

After just reading that menu, I'm not going to have to eat for another week
(although some would say I could go much longer than that without any
harm!).

After years of huge Christmas Day dinners at Grandma's, our family now
generally goes to Mom's house and we eat a much smaller meal -- generally
soup and sometimes sandwiches. This year we decided a break in tradition was
necessary -- we had our gift exchange a week ago, as my brother and his
family were moving and wouldn't be here on Christmas Day. Of course, the
rest of us still want to get together to celebrate the day, but we (I)
didn't think it would feel the same to be at Mom's without the entire family
there. So, everyone will come to our house, and our menu will consist of
chili, vegetable soup, potato soup, beer bread, and corn bread. Oh, and ice
cream sundaes for dessert.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old December 23rd 04, 03:51 PM
nbhilyard

Our turkey will be free! When the cashier rang it up the register said it
was .89/lb. DH said the sign on the freezer said .69/lb. The manager went
back to the freezer with him and indeed DH was right. The store policy is
that if there is a difference the customer gets the product free.

DH's favorite vegetable is broccoli, so we will probably have that. (He
maintains that he really, really likes it--not only to further differentiate
himself from George Bush the elder!)

We are also having bread pudding because I had some rolls that were getting
stale. I think I will add apples and raisins.

Nann

Old December 23rd 04, 03:59 PM
Kate Dicey

Sally Swindells wrote:

[...]

We have soup and bread for lunch and dinner somewhere arround six or
seven pm. We start with smoked salmon, follow with roast Bambi, roast
spuds, carrots and sprouts, and rich gravy. This is followed by
traditional Christmas pud and cream (or half fat creme fraiche in my case).

My Christmas and New Year 'meat' order is usually along thse lines:

Haunch of venison
Brace of pheasants
Guinnea fowl
whole salmon
Chunk of boiling ham/gamon
kilo or so of cubed venison for casseroles

We tend to have different and more luxurious things to eat for
Christmas, but not actually eat much more.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old December 23rd 04, 04:36 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
Sally Swindells wrote:

Having just collected Fat Sid the Turkey I wondered what everyone else
has to eat on Christmas Day?

Your menu sounds yummy. We are having 18 for dinner (went up by two
yesterday). After catching up with mail and posts here I must go food
shopping!

Salad - brought by my sister
Corn and green chili soup
Tangerene sorbet
Prime Rib, horseradish sauce, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans
Chocolate souffle with raspberry sauce

We tested the soup last night and it was yummy. Everythingn else we've
made before enough times that we're ok with them.

happy Christmas everyone!
marcella
Old December 23rd 04, 05:03 PM
teleflora

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
Having just collected Fat Sid the Turkey I wondered what everyone else
has to eat on Christmas Day?

Everyone's menus sound really yummy. This is a whole new Christmas idea for
us. My mom made Christmas special for everyone and we always had big family
gatherings. Since she passed 3 years ago, I have continued these events.
But this year, DB and his kids are going to his significant other's family.
Other family and friends have commitments. We were invited to other places,
but we decided to do something a little different.

I am cooking a good meal on Christmas eve for DH, DD and myself. Cappelleti
in chicken broth (the broth is cooking as we speak and it's making me faint
with hunger). A big roast chicken and roasted potatoes. Baby Carrots.
Fresh bread and some cheesecake for dessert. There will be plenty of
leftovers for Christmas day and for the first time in about 15 years, I
won't be spending the whole holiday cooking, serving and cleaning up. I
love cooking for a large crowd of family and friends and I did it for
Thanksgiving and I may be sorry that it will be so quiet on Christmas day,
but I don't think so.

Cindy

Old December 23rd 04, 05:34 PM
Firefly

I was so shocked that my MIL doesn't make mashed potatoes and gravy or
plain old corn for the holidays that I started bringing that myself.
Then I had to pick my battles when I found out there was no fruit
salad or rolls or alcohol of any sort, either. So this year we are
bringing a brandy apple pie and a squash apple bake. We also are
having some terrible stuffing that I won't eat and some overcooked
turkey and some sweet potatoes without the marshmallows... MIL is on
the South Beach diet and puts everyone else on it too when she cooks.
She cuts the sugar and fat (sometimes entirely!), she cuts the carbs,
and she cuts the taste. And then she serves it all at noon.

Needless to say, our "Christmas Meal" is quite different. We have our
own celebration on Christmas Eve and eat the evening meal when it is
ready, around 5-7 pm. We have honey ham, mashed potatoes, white gravy,
corn, dinner rolls (I like fluffy biscuits, he likes yeast rolls),
fruit salad with nuts in whipped cream, french-cut green beans, yams
with nuts and tons of marshmallows on top, salad (mixed greens,
cucumbers, croutons, crumbled egg, bacon, cheese), and whatever
desserts DH decides strike his fancy. We usually have one exotic
experimentation food from left field as well, just because it sounds
good. Oh, and we have whatever wine or liquor we want to drink with
dinner and dessert. Then the little one goes to bed, we stay up until
time to go to church (for the midnight service, we have to go by 10:30
if we plan to get a seat at all), and we open presents at 2 in the
morning when we get back. We're too impatient to wait until morning,
and it is technically Christmas then...Santa comes while we are at
church. We're worse than the little one! Ha ha ha... at least we
are making it to Christmas now. In the past, we couldn't hold out that
long. It has made our lives a lot happier to have our own Christmas
celebration on Christmas Eve. And it sure beats MIL's white bean chili
she's making for Christmas Eve.

--
Firefly
**

Old December 23rd 04, 05:50 PM
Pati Cook

After reading everyone else's wonderful menus I am really hungry. G
However we do things a lot differently.
For Christmas eve we go to DH's folks. Usually DMiL makes potato salad,
chicken salad, fresh orange-coconut ambrosia and there may be assorted
pickles/olives and so on.
My family does Christmas day. And I mean the whole day........ G
although it is getting shorter as we all grow older.
We don't have a "meal" it is more of a graze all day thing. In the
morning there is nut bread, cookies, juice/milk/etc. Tamales at some
point are a must. Sometimes someone fixes eggs, but there may just be
deviled eggs depending on how anyone has been//is feeling. At some
point sandwich stuff comes out, along with salad maybe. Ambrosia (this
is the mandarin orange/ marshmallow/ coconut/nuts/ pineapple/ sour cream
and maraschino cherries kind of ambrosia.)
Food is eaten when you are hungry. Packages are opened one at a time so
everyone can see. Often naps are taken in the midst of things. Packages
may be opened over a stretch of a few hours this way. It is a very
relaxed and laid back way to do Christmas. And much easier on the cooks.
Pati, in Phx. looking forward to the holiday and sharing time with family.

Old December 23rd 04, 05:59 PM
catherine

I have been reading the post here for some time. I have to say everyone
is so extra nice, trying to help when called upon, It's a place where we
can add the extra input without getting put down for speaking out.
So anyways, here is our Christmas dinner. We are from the province of
Newfoundland in Canada, but currently living in Ontario. For our
Christmas dinner we start out by getting a nice big fat gobbler, then
we have what we call salt beef (which is beef put in a brine solution
and left over time). We buy it in the store in buckets. We let it soak
over night then drain again in the morning, put in cold water and cook
it for about 3 hours. While it is cooking, we add puddings, a peas
pudding, which is split peas put in a pudding bag made from broad cloth,
that cook in with the beef utill soft. Then about an hour before we
are ready to eat, we add cabbage, carrots, and turnips. Then once that
is added and the pot is boiling, we add a molasses pudding and a white
one with raisins, (all puddings are in pudding bags). In the last half
hour of cooking we add our potatoes. Everything is cooked in one pot.
By the time the turkey is ready, we make gravy, mash the peas pudding,
take it out off the bag and put in a dish, add a small bit of butter and
pepper. We take the rest of the meal from the pot. We are over full when
we get from the dinner table. I hope you all enjoy your holidays with
family and friends. Happy eating and best of health for the new year.
Old December 23rd 04, 06:19 PM
muse9

That is very similar to what we do. We open gifts one at a time often
taking food breaks in between. It gives time for the little ones to not get
too terribly over-excited and we all truly enjoy the day - all day. We do
have a Christmas dinner but try to keep it simple - this year a roast,
vegetables and lots of desserts!

Bonnie in Missouri

http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnied9

delete "removespam" to reply