Basting, basting, basting

Old October 8th 03, 10:35 PM
frood

Default Basting, basting, basting

They say the third times a charm.... I basted 2 Halloween quilts today. The
first one went smoothly, no problems at all. (I pin baste on my big table,
and I put bed risers under the legs to bring it up to a more comfortable
height.)

The second one, however, was a different story! I pin basted it completely,
and pulled it off the table to discover one corner was not lined up right,
and there was no backing under the top! Grrr! I un-basted it, and put it
away until after the kids had their afternoon snack. Then, back up on the
table. This time, instead of eye-balling the center, I taped toothpicks down
the center length of the table. Folded the backing, lined it up, same for
batting and top. Then I discovered I'd put the backing on the table
sideways! Grrr, again!

The next time, I did it right, and got it all basted. Frustrating, but done.
And, I looked good doing it! ;-D

--
Wendy, wearing smaller jeans than yesterday
de-fang email address to reply

Old October 9th 03, 12:20 AM
Queen of Squishies

Dancing in the moonlight for the basting - AND the jeans!

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
My reply address is scrambled. Please change my
address to hicall80 at earthlink dot net

Old October 9th 03, 12:48 AM
Diana Curtis

Its a good things days like that dont usually happen in week long chunks,
yes?
Im glad it worked out finally.
Di

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
m...

Old October 9th 03, 03:18 AM
Kate Dicey

frood wrote:

[...]

Yee Haw! How many exercise points do you get for the basting? ;P
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old October 9th 03, 11:45 AM
frood

It wasn't my idea - but all these little people kept telling me they were
hungry, and they couldn't reach the table - it was too high!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"IMS" wrote in message
It was probably a good idea that you put it away and went back to it
later! :-)

Old November 9th 03, 10:35 AM
Beverly K. Pope

I am very new to quilting and have a question about basting with pins.

Dont the pins scratch the table?

Thanks,
Bev

m...

Old November 9th 03, 12:41 PM
Kate Dicey

"Beverly K. Pope" wrote:

I am very new to quilting and have a question about basting with pins.

Dont the pins scratch the table?

No - I baste on the carpet! The table isn't big enough.

Old November 9th 03, 01:23 PM
Julia in MN

Beverly K. Pope wrote:

I am very new to quilting and have a question about basting with pins.
Dont the pins scratch the table?

I have an old oak table finished with polyurethane varnish and I have never noticed any scratching from the pins I use for basting.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old November 9th 03, 01:26 PM
I.E.Z.

"Beverly K. Pope" wrote in message
I am very new to quilting and have a question about basting with pins.

Dont the pins scratch the table?

Thanks,
Bev

Well, depends on the table. I used to use an old fashioned metal kitchen
table with some kind of invincible shiny top, but it was too low. I got an
actual "cutting" table that's a few inches higher to save my back. I have
this table covered with a full-size cutting mat and usually I pinbaste with
the mat in place. However, sometimes with a big project the mat slides
around so I take it off. And yes, the pins do sometimes scratch the table.
But since mine is almost always covered by a mat, I don't worry about it.
If you are pin basting on your dining room table, then you might have a
problem. Perhaps invest in a big mat and tape it to the table. (I could
do this too, but in my case it's easier to just take the mat off since I'm
not too worried about scratches.)

By the way, the quality of the big white mats has slipped badly, IMHO. The
first one I had that fit the old kitchen table was great. When I got the
new table, it wasn't the right size, so I ordered one with rounded corners
to fit. That one warped badly just from putting down blocks warm from the
iron. I found online one of the square cornered ones that looked like my
original one and was the right size, so I bought a new one. If anything,
this one is worse. I noticed my rotary cutter was getting nicks in it and
I hadn't run over any pins. Then I ran my hand over the mat and realized
that there were lots of little tiny bumps, invisible to the eye. Plus, the
grid lines in the place I had been cutting were wearing badly. So now I
have an old 24x36 (June Taylor or something) mat that I keep on top to use
for cutting strips, etc. The white mat is okay for an occasional cut in the
wellworn place or for pinning and cutting clothing projects. But with a new
blade I stay on the little mat!

Iris

Old November 9th 03, 01:54 PM
frood

Yes, I do get some minor scratches. It showed up alot when I basted on my
old laminate-top table, or on my varnished floors. Now, I have a table with
a reclaimed-wood top, and floors that are 100 years old. I don't notice any
scratches, now!

I have heard that some people put a cutting mat under the quilt in the area
being basted, and move it around as needed, to avoid scratches. But that
sounds like too much work to me.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Beverly K. Pope" wrote in message
I am very new to quilting and have a question about basting with pins.

Dont the pins scratch the table?

Thanks,
Bev

m...