A few things up - AD

Old August 8th 04, 08:49 AM
Christina Peterson

Clogs often come in wide enough sizes and without a too wide heel (ie
blisters). But the vamp goes too far up on the foot. With short toes, my
arch starts closer to the front of my foot and my big toe tendons get
scored, bruised and blistered. With clogs the top of the shoe prevents me
from getting my foot into them.

Most well-constructed shoes hurt my feet, because my feet aren't usual. And
even high arch supports usually just barely reach my arches and just tickle
them.

I sometimes wear Isotoner "un-shoes". And moccasins that are loose in the
foot and tie around the ankles, like Inupiak mukluks, or Air Force arctic
snow canvas boots.

Tina

"Kaytee" wrote in message
In article , "Christina Peterson"
writes:

Arch is too high. Can't get my foot into them. And they're still too
narrow (I need EE)

( clogs)

Some of the European men's ones come in extra wide, if you can wear those
sizes. And even the women's ones are wider than American shoes. I take a

36 in
Bastaad clogs-- which supposedly is a size 5 1/2, but I take a 6 1/2-7 W

in
usual American women's shoes. I wear 4 1/2-5 W in boys' shoes (my combat

boots
are size 5-- to be worn with 2 pair of military socks). You might have to

try
several brands for "fit"-- go a size larger than you think you need, and

wear
socks if they are too big.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old August 8th 04, 08:56 AM
meijhana

oh, dear, Kathy...

is there a possibility you and FIL can flip apartments? Or is he having a
hard time with stairs?

perhaps if he is not, then by the time that he is, you can make concessions,
he has the "spare" bedroom downstairs, and blend the households, so that DD
and DH are upstairs a lot (and help if need be), and downstairs is main
living area, and you/FIL?

mary

--
____________________________________
Cyberpunk Tournament @ Gamer's Keepe

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 13:13:13 -0400, Cheryl wrote
(in message ):

You know, that sucks. It means disabled people might as well forget

about
going to Penland, doesn't it?

actually - NO

They do have a couple of golf carts for use by people who are

handicapped.
They really "chug" climbing the hills - and you have to make sure the
batteries
stay charged.... !

If I were to go, I'd probably bring a motorized wheelchair/cart
whatever of my own. We're considering buying one, which is a huge
concession for me. I really, really hate the idea, but it would be a
good thing to be mobile again.

It's funny - when I am "okay," it's almost impossible to tell that
there's anything wrong. But I go from okay to scary in nothing flat.

When I was at Penland, my friend was handicapped (about as bad as Kathy

N-V
backwise...)
She had a cart, and sometimes I'd ride with her ....
Hell Hill to the glass shop is a bit much for anyone with

cardio-respiratory
challenge... although my doc probably would have said "good exercise!"
LOL

Yep, probably would. Ironically, I spent many a summer pushing my
handicapped aunt in her wheelchair all over Germany, which is NOT
flat. At Neuschswanstein (that pretty castle that's in every German
tourist ad, the model for the Disney castle), Some jerk gave the
wheelchair a shove from the side and my Tante and the wheelchair
dumped. Going on total instinct, I dove under my Tante.

Tante Brigitte wasn't hurt, thank God. I had a bit of road rash and
was totally black with schmutz the rest of the day and got lots of
odd looks. The jerk who shoved us got surrounded by angry tourists
who had seen the whole thing and became very upset. She ended up
leaving the line for Neuschwanstein, which was and is a big deal,
because the tickets are expensive and hard to get.

There are two buildings there with second stories that are NOT handicap
accessible

Not good. It's so surprising that stairs and such seem so ordinary
until you can no longer use them. Bob has lived in this house all
his life (really - he came here from the hospital when being born),
yet couldn't tell how many steps it took to get in from outside to
our half of the house. I didn't even have to think about it - when
the doc asked me how many steps, I said "twenty-one." It was
automatic, and I didn't even think about it.

Bob counted when we got home, and I was right.

Today we had a near miss which broke my heart. Our front stairwell
is open (no door), and I had a bit of an episode today. I did not
fall down the stairs, although it was close. The baby gates we had
across the door did not hold, and went falling. If I had fallen too,
it would have been many hours until I was found, because everyone was
out.

As I write this, Bob is headed of to the Home Depot to get some heavy
duty brackets and a hunk of handrail to put across the opening. All
this is breaking my heart, and unless the docs can slow/stop this,
we're not going to be able to keep this house. I don't want to move
anywhere, and single level homes are not very common in my town.
Besides, we cannot leave Bob's father and at almost eighty, moving
would be a horror for him.

Please keep your fingers crossed that I can do what I need to do to
stay in this house. There's a lot more than my welfare at stake.

Kathy N-V

Old August 8th 04, 08:58 AM
meijhana

also, consider one of those "life alert" alarms and/or a buzzer into your
FIL's apartment (and perhaps a phone there). Try to place it at a level
that if you were sitting on the floor, you could reach (if you are flat on
your back, it might not help, but at least there's options).

I think it's better to be safe than sorry?

mary

Old August 8th 04, 09:23 AM
KDK

Ooh - the winged goddess... yum...

Glad to hear you had a great tie at Penland. And the stuff you had up is
gorgeous - and now gone

SEE YOU in a few weeks!!!!!!!!!!

Kathy K
"Tinkster" wrote in message
On 05 Aug 2004 18:33:17 GMT, uppies (Dr. Sooz)
wrote:

Anyway, there are a few new vessels up, and some nice solid beads. I'd
love it if you'd take a look!

http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm

TINK!!! The shaped handles on the vessels are KILLLLLLERRRRRRRR!!
~~
Sooz

You guys ROCK! Thanks for the nice words! And there will be NO
KILLING! Am I understood??? *wearing my best mom face with folded arms
and tapping my foot*

I'm having fun exploring the possibilities with the handles, Sooz. I
have a real thing for wings :-) Did I show you guys my winged goddess?
I can't remember. If not, here's a link to my Penland Pics Page. It's
the first two images:

http://blackswampglassworks.com/penlandgallery.htm

Tinkster

Old August 8th 04, 09:26 AM
KDK

I love those type of clogs, but Land's End ones don't fit me. The Columbia
ones do - and I LOVE them.

Kathy K
"Graham Sorenson" wrote in message

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
Clogs and thong sandals.... I have a narrow heel in addition to the

wide
rest
of the foot, so anything that fits at the toe leaves my heel loose--

and
rubs
blisters up in no time.
Check eBay for clogs....

Clogs clogs clogs clogs! I love me some clogs!

Lands End..

L:ynda wears their clogs from October to May. She is the Imelda Marcos of
Lands End clogs.

And they are priced right.

--
Graham Sorenson