Trying to stick tube to vessel

Old January 8th 05, 11:43 PM
Samantha BeanHead

Default Trying to stick tube to vessel

Hi,

I am wondering how I should go about sticking a piece of soda lime
glass tubing to a larger glass vessel,such as large jar or demijon,
using a blowtorch (or do i hafta do something else first like drilling
to make the hole?) I am also wondering where I should find such a
vessel in order to ensure its made of the right sort of stuff..... I
tried heating a point on a wine bottle and that sorta fractured when I
tapped it. I would ideally like to use a piece of very wide diameter
tubing, but that seems to be quite expensive per length... plus I am
sure if they have that kind of width for soda lime... I am thinking
15cm plus.... (the wider the better) and several 10s of cms in length,
i.e large enough to hold a litre or more.
I'm not quite sure at this stage how I would go about forming such a
vessel myself.
Thanks,

Samantha
Old January 9th 05, 12:41 AM
Mike Beede

In article ,
Samantha BeanHead wrote:

Hi,

I am wondering how I should go about sticking a piece of soda lime
glass tubing to a larger glass vessel,such as large jar or demijon,
using a blowtorch (or do i hafta do something else first like drilling
to make the hole?)

Joining two pieces of glass by fusing them will only work if
the glass is nearly the same coefficient of expansion. Randomly-chosen
glass is unlikely to be the same COE. After joining them, the
entire thing needs to be annealed by heating it to its annealing
temperature for the appropriate amount of time. This varies from
glass to glass. For ordinary glass, this would probably be
something on the order of 950 F for at least an hour. Then it
would have to be slowly cooled to avoid thermal shock.

I don't think this is true for borosilicate (e.g., Pyrex)
type glass. However, a large Pyrex vessel will probably
be expensive. Joining on a tube to a vessel would be cake
to a technical (laboratory) glassblower. A university
with a chemistry department would be a good place to
start looking for such a person.

If the idea is not to fuse them, but just to have a fluid-tight
seal, then you can probably work something out with a silicone
sealer, possibly with a rubber ring to allow a little play
between the vessel and the tube.

It would probably not be too difficult to form the entire
thing by hot working, so long as the tube didn't have to
be very long or very regular. In that case, you'd
probably form the bottle, make a hole in it, and then . . .
um . . . I guess I'd have to think about that one for
a while. It isn't clear to me how to form a hollow tube that
could be joined on the bottle, but a more clever glass
blower than me could probably think of several methods.

Can you describe what you're trying to achieve?

Mike Beede
Old January 10th 05, 12:07 AM
Mike Firth

You can't do it with a blowtorch. The glass will crack on heating. If you
solve your problems with drilling the hole, you can glue the tube to the
bottle. Forming the tube in glass will take a torch.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

news