New room happy dance!!

Old September 15th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Default New room happy dance!!

Congradulations Charlotte. I have taken over our spare bedroom with my
sewing stuff and when children come to visit they get the pull out bed in
the family room. ROFL

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

"Charlotte Hippen" wrote in message
I have my own sewing room!!! It's not very big, and it has its issues, but
it is just for me and it has a door!!!!

Our home has 2 bedrooms on the second story. One is quite small and the
other is very large and has the only heating/cooling vent for the 2nd
story. When we first moved in last fall we made the smaller one the kids'
toy room and the larger their bedroom. This spring they split up and each
had toys in their rooms. Well, they want to share again (which they were
going to have to soon anyways with winter coming). They now have bunk
beds so they have enough space for all their toys in their bedroom leaving
the other for me!!! It will be a bit cold this winter, but there is an
electric baseboard heater I can use when I'm in there.

I have been busy trying to get my stuff situated in there. Like I said,
it has its problems (poor lighting, dark paint color, half walls on the
sides, very small, no heating/cooling vent), but it is a long way from
where I was before we moved here a year ago. I was sewing at the kitchen
table, and storing my machine, projects and supplies in 3 different
closets and under my bed. And then after our move, everything was in one
room, but it had to be put back in my storage cabinet and my machines
covered or in their cabinet when I was done. I can now just leave
everything as it is and just close the door on my way out!!! What a nice
feeling. This will help greatly with the kitten. When she is being too
'helpful' I will now be able to close her out until I'm done cutting or
pressing. The first thing she learned was my chair is a good place for a
nap, now she is starting to learn to avoid my ironing board so we are
getting there.

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old September 15th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

Thanks for the advise Kate. I must say although peg board is a really great
way to organize things, I really don't like the way it looks though. I need
to work out a way to make it more attractive before we remodel and I get a
larger sewing room. Right now I have much of that stuff hanging on hooks
inside my cabinet, which takes up about all the real usable wall space in
the room. The rest of it is either a half wall that slants to the ceiling,
or has a door or a window. It means I needed to tip my bookshelf on the
side along one of the half walls and have DH modify it for me. The other
half wall is a good place for my machines though.

I'll try to get pictures up soon. I also need to update my projects. I
have a few that haven't been put up yet.
--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

"Kate G." wrote in message
. ..
WooHoo!!! Buy a couple of nice wool sweaters... some wool socks... and
sew away all winter long!

How excited you must be! It will be fun getting it all arranged and set
up. May I offer one suggestion... I love the pegboard my DH put in mine.
It holds all kinds of rulers and tools and scissors and more! Using the
wall (vertical space) really saves surface / floor space!

Have fun -- and share pics when you have it all together!

--
Kate in MI

Old September 15th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

I have always liked doing my hand sewing in front of the TV in my recliner
with a QI napping on my legs. I will still do that.

Thanks for the idea of the sun tubes Taria. I have seen those things on TV
and was thinking of eventually putting one in my kitchen because it is so
dark and I hate that. Depending on where I end up in the end (we are
eventually going to do some major remodeling to this house which includes my
current room and also includes making me a much larger sewing room else
where) I may put one in there too. They can add so much light and you don't
have to use as much electricity so they are a saver on the energy bill too.
For now we are only doing to the house what we need to get buy until we have
the money to do our remodel since a large portion of the house is in need of
being torn down and rebuilt.

As for the long underwear - who needs it when I have quilts!!! Of course
the long underwear would make it easier to move around and actually get some
quilting done. I think too with my machine on, an iron on and my ott lights
on, that will add heat to the room too, and being so small it may even be
enough. I my previous location it would get too warm with all that stuff
on. Of course there is always hot chocolate too!!! Yum!!!!
--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

"Taria" wrote in message
Too cool Charlotte. You can still sew all over the house, now you
just have a headquarters. I just got one of those solar tubes in
a dark hallway spot. It was just over $400 installed. Puts out
a lot of light for free (once it is paid for that is) Walmart and
Target both sell pretty ok long underwear if you need those. : )
Taria

Old September 15th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

LOL!!! Isn't that how it goes. Our overnight guests sleep on an air
mattress on the floor. I guess that maybe why we don't have many overnight
guests!!!

Old September 15th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Dancing in the moonlight for ya, Charlotte!!!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old September 15th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Charlotte Hippen" wrote:

I have my own sewing room!!! It's not very big, and it has its issues, but
it is just for me and it has a door!!!!

Congratulations, Charlotte! I know how you feel, as my first sewing
area was a corner of our living room -- it had to be tidied, too, when
not in use. I eventually "graduated" to a sewing closet in the family
room (an added room a few years later), but now I have my own sewing
room and love it! I hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine --
issues and all.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old September 15th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

congrats! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am mine. Keep clutter out-don't
let it start in the first place. It didn't go there BEFORE it was your
room--don't let it now. I've been fortunate that I haven't had that
problem--room is just far enuf away that it isn't convenient

Butterfly (HORARY FOR OUR OWN ROOM(s) )

"Charlotte Hippen" wrote in message
Oh, I hope not!! Actually, I really hate clutter and disorganization so I
will probably have it in pretty good shape most of the time. Only thing
I'm afraid of is it becoming a dumping ground for things that don't have a
good home. DH said he'd help in preventing that, so we shall see.

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

"Bobbie Sews More" wrote in message
Oh, I am happy for you! You will find that you can do a lot more now
that
you have you very own sewing room. And now in a year or so, you can join
those of us with a messy sewing room!
Barbara in SC

Old September 16th 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

Congrats on the new sewing space. I used to have a sewing room upstairs
in my son's old bedroom, but he kept boomeranging back, so I took over
the breezeway a couple of years ago. The footprint of my house is
House-breezeway-garage. Everyone who comes into the house comes in
through the breezeway. For years all we used it for was umbrella, boots
and shoes on the floor, dog leashes, etc.

It's 12' x 16' , has only one full wall, one half wall, and two walls
with 8' picture windows and doors on each. My 4'x8' design wall is
still up in the bedroom, as is the closet full of batting and flannel,
etc. DS can come back every once in a while, but he doesn't get his
closet back, no way!

The breezeway tends to be a cold room because of the windows and doors,
but I sew on a huge metal desk with an 8' white formica-type panel over
the top. I bought a small oscillating ceramic heater which fits under
the sewing table and it works great. It was very inexpensive at
Wal-Mart. When a friend comes over to sew, I place the heater in the
middle of the room and we share it. The room is heated normally, but
this little heater takes the extra chill off.

I used to be upset at how messy this room could look to people coming in
to visit, with all the boots and doggy stuff. Now I have made a
dedicated space on the back of the door for all of the leashes, and the
boots are now placed immediately on the back porch, and woe to anyone
who puts anything not sewing related in here for more than a few
minutes.

The room had only one small overhead light, it now has track lighting on
two sides. We seriously considered installing one of those tube lights,
but my DH is leering of leaks.

Now when people come to visit, even if the sewing room is messy, it's
messy with a purpose. DH's friends even stop and ask what's the newest
project. No one minds the mess of ongoing sewing projects. It looks
productive, not sloppy, at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Denise
http://community.webtv.net/DeniseJG/
My QI